Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

devastated by the gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 21:30
This post received
KUDOS
i started preparing for this exam in august, and i finally took it today. i have done all OG questions, Kaplan was hard for me, Math is not something i am great at, i have been an average student all my life, my main focus was to get the maximum score in quant, but i dont know what happened, but i ended up with 380. i was getting 550+ in all of my kaplan tests.
I am thinking about re-writing this exam one last time, if i still dont get a good score, then maybe this really isnt my cup of tea. I am not aiming for universities such as harvard and standford. I'll be more than happy if i get a score in the 600's

what should i do at this point if i target to rewrite this in end of january, i know my mistakes and i know where i went wrong. but can i improve my verbal at this point?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 21:34
Expert's post
fizzanasir wrote:
i started preparing for this exam in august, and i finally took it today. i have done all OG questions, Kaplan was hard for me, Math is not something i am great at, i have been an average student all my life, my main focus was to get the maximum score in quant, but i dont know what happened, but i ended up with 380. i was getting 550+ in all of my kaplan tests.
I am thinking about re-writing this exam one last time, if i still dont get a good score, then maybe this really isnt my cup of tea. I am not aiming for universities such as harvard and standford. I'll be more than happy if i get a score in the 600's

what should i do at this point if i target to rewrite this in end of january, i know my mistakes and i know where i went wrong. but can i improve my verbal at this point?

Sorry to hear about this. If you were getting 550+ in Kaplan this sounds like a combination of a few unfortunate events coming together.

If you know your issues/mistakes/weaknesses, I would pick one that you can improve the fastest or the most and focus on that one until you gain confidence in that area. Then move on to the next until the time to take the test.

have you taken any GMAT Prep tests?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 606 [0], given: 114

Re: devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 21:44
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Just remember to never give up. The GMAT will never define you, and you always have another opportunity. I would encourage you to not only study the academic portions of the GMAT, but also the mental aspects here: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html It sounds like you were scoring pretty well in the practice tests, so now it's time to perform on test day.

Just don't give up. I know this test can be disappointing, challenging, and hard to overcome. But remember, one of the biggest traits that Bschools look for in applicants is someone who overcomes adversity. This is your test, can you handle it? There are so many stories of people making HUGE increases in scores, and you could be that person, with a great story. Put in the time and effort, stay involved in the GMAT club community, and get that score you deserve. Everything you ever wanted or needed to know is here, it's up to you to find it.

Best of luck, and let us know how your progress comes along

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 22:54
Try again... with good material such as Manhattan series,power score cr bible, OG and ofcourse GmatClub material
good luck
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 6

Re: devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
Never give hope.

0. Have faith in yourself and believe that you can do it.
1. You need to assess your weakness.
2. Work on the weakness.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 above till you have mastered the art.

GMAT can be conquered, but it needs patience and practice. I have read stories of people who got 750 or 740 plus in just a few weeks, but not everyone can do so. At least, I am not one of them. It took me many many months to get past 700. My weakness was English, and I began from basics. See what's holding you back.

You need to search for a wide variety of material. Most of the guys get 100+ more than what they score on Kaplan. Don't burn mid night oil too much a few days before the exam. In case you get too stressed out, you need to tell yourself constantly that GMAT can be retaken and that too without too much of wait.

What was the breakup of your score and let us know in which area you need to work more? This forum is full of helpful guys, and I got a lot of help by reading what others were doing to get a great score. Though I am yet to get where I want to, I will reach there soon. :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: devastated by the gmat [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
Definitely take it again. I too had a large score differential between my practice tests and the real deal the first time I took the test and it was unbelievably frustrating. I took the GMAT a second time and realized a 100 point upswing in my score (630-730)

The biggest change I made in my strategy was studying to build endurance. My initial (and flawed) strategy was to do a few questions here or there and then routinely "reward" myself by getting distracted by the internet. After switching my strategy up, I definitely was not studying more, but I made sure that any time I was studying I was simulating testing conditions as closely as possible:

1) always study in 75 minute increments (no stops!)
2) only give yourself 8 minute breaks in between segments
3) when doing a full length practice test, don't skip the AWA. You're going to need to be able to think hard for 4 hours straight, and skipping the AWAs is cheating yourself.

Testing fatigue set in during those last verbal questions which definitely tanked my score. You know the content of the test, you just need to have the mental discipline to be able to concentrate for 4 hours--something we are not naturally inclined to do.
Re: devastated by the gmat   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 16:24