Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [15]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Diabetics And Ice-cream [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think it's E.

A - What if the diabetics are accustomed to non-sucrose taste ?

B - Irrelevant

C - Goes off the mark

D - Goes beyond scope, we're concerned with discomfort owing to glucose

E - Correct one, what if other/natural ingredients have a lot of glucose ? It's a defender assumption.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
+1 E

The author has to assume that there is not glucose in the ingrediets to produce ice cream.
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Reasoning gap in the argument regarding natural presence of glucose in the ice creams manufactured.Thus,requiring a supporting answer choice.

This has been rightly brought out by option E.
A taste is not the issue at hand here,hence POE'ed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
+1 for D ,

E says that GLUCOSE is not naturally present in the ice-cream. However, the issue arises when SUCROSE is added to the ice-cream .
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or [#permalink]
Kudos
E, the author thinks that the only thing that causes discomfert is glucose. it is a defender argument, we need to defend it by eliminating anything that could possibly weaken the argument. if he thinks that glucose are naturally occuring in ice cream, he would not have asserted that diabetics can eat ice cream without worring
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A subject-verb changed question from OG

I go with E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
can neone explain..why not D??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
monikaleoster wrote:

Both option D and E are very close. Even I had choosen option D first without reading option E. The deciding factor would be refer back to the passage. Passage constantly talks about Gulocose and option E has reference to Gulocose. In option D it talks about Diabetes from other components in the ice cream which does not find a reference in the passage.

let me know if you still have any questions.

Give Kudos if you liked my reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
sanki779 wrote:
monikaleoster wrote:

Both option D and E are very close. Even I had choosen option D first without reading option E. The deciding factor would be refer back to the passage. Passage constantly talks about Gulocose and option E has reference to Gulocose. In option D it talks about Diabetes from other components in the ice cream which does not find a reference in the passage.

let me know if you still have any questions.

Give Kudos if you liked my reply

Yes, I got your point But realised later one more strong point If sentence had been ended like "without experiencing discomfort" Then it would be difficult to choose betweed D/E but sentence is ending like " without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward." so This is making E as right choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
D and E are somewhat similar, but note that in D it is generalizing a bit too much. It is saying that there aren't other substances that can cause discomfort to diabetics, and here we are trying to refer only to those that cause glucose intolerance afterwards.

E is more precise and tells us that glucose is not naturally present in amounts large enough to cause discomfort to diabetics. If this statement is negated, it completely destroys the conclusion given. Hence E

Hope it clarifies
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
D and E are somewhat similar, but note that in D it is generalizing a bit too much. It is saying that there aren't other substances that can cause discomfort to diabetics, and here we are trying to refer only to those that cause glucose intolerance afterwards.

E is more precise and tells us that glucose is not naturally present in amounts large enough to cause discomfort to diabetics. If this statement is negated, it completely destroys the conclusion given. Hence E

Hope it clarifies
J

HI

I have a query here

if we see its an cause and effect.

Glucose (cause)-------> (effect)Discomfort(Diabitic patient).

so for a right assumption there should be no alternate cause.

This is mentioned in D. if we negate statement D then it will shatter the conclusion.

Could you please clarify this. I stuck between D and E. and choose D

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or [#permalink]
PathFinder007 wrote:
HI

I have a query here

if we see its an cause and effect.

Glucose (cause)-------> (effect)Discomfort(Diabitic patient).

so for a right assumption there should be no alternate cause.

This is mentioned in D. if we negate statement D then it will shatter the conclusion.

Could you please clarify this. I stuck between D and E. and choose D

Thanks

Hello Pathfinder.

I'm glad to help.

To weaken/strengthen an argument, you have to focus on the conclusion very carefully.

Let read the conclusion again and see how D and E are different.

Conclusion: diabetics are able to eat ice cream without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward.
--> Even if there is just 1% of glucose in ice cream, diabetics will be discomfort.
--> On the other hand, the new ice cream must be non-glucose

We have a diagram:
Conclusion: NO glucose --> GOOD
Assumption: HAVE glucose --> NOT GOOD

Option D: Apart from glucose, there are no substances commonly present in ice cream that would cause discomfort to diabetics.

D means glucose is the only substance causing discomfort to diabetics. Yes, it's true, but D does not assume NO glucose present in ice cream. Clearly, D is not the assumption. To make the conclusion valid, we need to assume the new ice cream does not have any glucose --> no discomfort to diabetics.

D just says ice cream companies know glucose is the only cause of discomfort. That's it. D does not mean new the ice cream is non-glucose. That's why D is not the assumption.

Hence, D is incorrect.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or [#permalink]
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone that is needed to convert glucose into energy needed for daily life.
Because ice cream commonly contains glucose in the form of sucrose, diabetics generally experience discomfort after consuming even a small serving of ice cream.
However, since there are several ice cream companies who add sucrose to none of the ice cream they produce, diabetics are able to eat ice cream without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward.
Premise:
1.Diabetes is caused by insulin ,a hormone that is needed to convert glucose into energy needed for daily life.
2.Sucrose, type of glucose, has been removed from the ICs.
Conclusion:
Diabetic ppl would be able to eat these ice creams.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
Assumption:

(A) These ice cream companies have been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose derived from glucose by means that do not involve adding any potential substances that may be of discomfort to diabetics.
-Taste is not a concern here. Also u can try negate here.

(B) Not all forms of glucose are equally likely to result in this discomfort.
-Out as it doesnt help much.
(C) Ice cream is not the only food to which glucose is commonly added.
-The argument is concerned with IC only.
(D) Apart from glucose, there are no substances commonly present in ice cream that would cause discomfort to diabetics.
-Tempting answer. Why E is better than D.
IMO just the presence of other substance is not sufficient to select this as an answer.As per the premise, even a small dose of sucrose causes the discomfort to diabetic people. But we don't know anything about the other substances commonly present.May be they are required in high dosage etc. Also, the argument is concerned with the glucose and this option doesn't say whether "the other substance" is glucose or not.
So there r factors that put this point in doubt.

(E) Glucose is not naturally present in the ice cream produced by these ice cream companies in amounts large enough to cause discomfort to diabetics who eat this ice cream.
Now this makes sense.
What if the glucose is already there in IC in natural form . In that case, just removing the sucrose is not sufficient for diabetic people to consume IC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
fluke wrote:
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone that is needed to convert glucose into energy needed for daily life. Because ice cream commonly contains glucose in the form of sucrose, diabetics generally experience discomfort after consuming even a small serving of ice cream. However, since there are several ice cream companies who add sucrose to none of the ice cream they produce, diabetics are able to eat ice cream without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) These ice cream companies have been able to duplicate the taste of sucrose derived from glucose by means that do not involve adding any potential substances that may be of discomfort to diabetics.

(C) Ice cream is not the only food to which glucose is commonly added.

(D) Apart from glucose, there are no substances commonly present in ice cream that would cause discomfort to diabetics.

(E) Glucose is not naturally present in the ice cream produced by these ice cream companies in amounts large enough to cause discomfort to diabetics who eat this ice cream.

We are not concerned about the taste of Sucrose. We are infact concerned about effect of sucrose.

We are concerned only about the form that is added in other ice-creams.

(C) Ice cream is not the only food to which glucose is commonly added. OOS

(D) Apart from glucose, there are no substances commonly present in ice cream that would cause discomfort to diabetics. This does not answer weather diabetics will be able to eat the ice cream without any glucose intolerance. We are not concerned about discomforts other than glucose intolerance.

(E) Glucose is not naturally present in the ice cream produced by these ice cream companies in amounts large enough to cause discomfort to diabetics who eat this ice cream. Correct answer. If glucose is not present naturally, then the ice cream is safe to consume without causing glucose intolerance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I think this phrase " without experiencing discomfort due to glucose intolerance afterward." Eliminates D directly.

Answer is E.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts