Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:37) correct 19% (00:44) wrong based on 1008 sessions
Its been a while since I have posted a question in these forums. I came across an interesting question in the OG 11th edition, and thought I should share with you. An important concept is tested in this question.

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer
(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(b) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation's third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed

Post your answers and your reasons for choosing your answer choice. Also post the "important concept" tested in this SC
Will post OA in 12 hours.

Thanks,
Darth
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"Rank of" unidiomatic...C is OUT
E, D and B are OUT - Diabetes is not plural (check the sentence, "its serious complications" means the main subject "diabetes" is singular)

I pick A. Straightforward - use simple present tense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 04:26
E for me
We need causes because people can die from Diabetes or its its serious complications; eliminate A, B, C
Only surpassed sounds better.
So E
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 110 [3] , given: 0

Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Its been a while since I have posted a question in these forums. I came across an interesting question in the OG 11th edition, and thought I should share with you. An important concept is tested in this question.

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer
(a) ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(b) rank as the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation’s third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation’s third leading causes of death, only surpassed

Post your answers and your reasons for choosing your answer choice. Also post the "important concept" tested in this SC

Thanks,
Darth

"Diabetes" is a singular here, thus verb must be singular. B, D, E are out!
"Only" must adjoin the word/ words that it limits. I think " only" limits "by" in this sentence rather than " surpassed". A is my choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:32
A for me too

B, D, E - verbs do not agree with the subject, diabetes
C- "has the rank of" does not sound right
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:36
A it is and the concept tested here is the additive phrase. together with is an additive phrase that is not used to form plurals subjects.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:43
A as it is ok.
since Diabetes is singular. so B/D/E all are out. "only" should be after surpassed to put emphasis on it.

Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 05:59
Tricky one.. but I choose A. Diabetes is singular, so it should be ranks.

The important concept is parallelism (I think)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 06:18
Going with A.

Diabetes is singular, so my answer choice should contain something singular. Don't get fooled by additive words that may appear to make the item plural. The only word that can make it plural is the word "and"

Darth_McDaddy wrote:

(b) rank as the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation’s third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation’s third leading causes of death, only surpassed

Thanks,
Darth
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 07:09
Wow!! I am pleasantly surprised to see so many responses already, and thank you all for giving me your explanations for choosing your answer. I will wait for a few more hours, before revealing the answer and the all important concept tested in this SC

Thanks,
Darth
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 07:18
Diabetes is singular, so the correct SV agreement requires ranks.

Undeniably A.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 08:35
first of I think we are talking about diabetese and its complications...so we have two subjects...therefore we need plural "are"...

I think D seems best...

in E it is in present perfect mood, why do we need present perfect when simple present tense would do...
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [4] , given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you all for your responses.

The OA is A. Most of you got the answer right. However, only Folaa3 and desiguy came close to getting the main concept right.

The CONCEPT
When the phrase following the subject is set of by commas, it indicates that the descriptive information conveyed by that phrase may be dropped from the sentence; it is not part of the subject

NOTE: The following words - with, including, accompanied by, along with, as well as, besides, in addition to, together with, do not create compound subjects

Together with, does not create a compound subject. Since Diabetes is singular, the singular verb ranks is most appropriate in the answer choice. A also correctly uses the present tense. "Only" is also correctly placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits.

I have also listed a few examples below, so that you can understand the concept better.

Wrong: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, are politicians

Right: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, is a politician

Wrong: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, were vegetarians

Right: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, was a vegetarian

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
DARTH :twisted:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 10:29
What if answer choice E was "has been ranked as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed" instead of "have been ranked..." Which one would you guys choose? A or E?

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 19:57
Shoumik wrote:
What if answer choice E was "has been ranked as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed" instead of "have been ranked..." Which one would you guys choose? A or E?

In this case too the answer would be A because in A we have active voice where as in E we have passive voice. In GMAT when we have to choose between AV and PV, AV wins.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Diabetes complications (IMP CONCEPT) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Shoumik wrote:

I will still go with A. Diabetics is the subject of the sentence and actually doing the action here. Active voice is preferable. secondly whenever, passive voice is used on GMAT it should make the subject clear by using 'by phrase'.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Its been a while since I have posted a question in these for [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 04:01
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

I also come to A.

however, one question, pls help

in the pattern

X of Y, do-ed

if Y works, comma+do-ed modifies Y
if Y dose not work and Y modifies X, comma+do-ed can jump Y to modifies X

if Y dose not work and Y dose not modifies X, comma+do-ed can not jump

for example
diabettes ranks as the second most dangerous disease by IFO oganisation, supassed by X disease
is wrong.
(I never see this question on og). just for discussion.

pls, comment.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 10:37
Expert's post
why not c? i was stuck betwee A n C..

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
subhojyoti wrote:

hi,
you use present perfect tense when past comes in to present.
example: we have lived in the house from past 3 days..====>means from past ...till today we are living.

for stating facts you always use simple present .

(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only===> CORRECT USE AS ITS STATING A FACT.

(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed===>if you use HAS here means rank of DIABETES is constant always,...which is not the intended meaning...actually its a stated fact by THE AUTHOR......diabetes RANKS....BLAH BLAH..

HOPE it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 15:09
subhojyoti wrote:

Diabetes is considered a singular noun , please refer to Manhattan GMAT SC , they have specifically referred to this sort of exception to the rule.
So Diabetes "ranks" is correct others can be eliminated on that basis alone.
Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 15:09