Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: Test Score = 510 | Target = 700+ | Time = 2 1/2 months [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You can find several free tests (with links) here: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/resources/practice-tests

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much for your answers. I bought the official guide, do you suggest me to do the OG test instead of the CAT in order to "waste" it at the beginning of my preparation? Or is it better to do other tests (like the Kaplan you suggested me) instead of the OG?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Antartide,

Unfortunately, the Diagnostic Test at the beginning of the OG is not a great way to get a realistic assessment of an Official GMAT score. Relative to the Official GMAT, that Test does not have the same number of questions, the same ratio of questions, it doesn't adapt, it's missing the Essay and IR sections, etc. While it can help to define some of the areas that you need to work on, if your goal is to have a realistic assessment of how you might score on the Official GMAT, then the only way to get that result is to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT under realistic conditions.

The most realistic CATs on the market are the 4 GMAC CATs (the 2 free ones and the additional 2 that can be purchased). While there are other CATs that are 'close-enough', the reality of that initial CAT is important - since that score result provides a baseline and defines your initial strengths and weaknesses. In that way, having the MOST accurate initial assessment is important. To that end, you should also plan to take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), so that we can see how you handle the endurance/fatigue 'challenges' of the Full Exam.

Some Test Takers become overly concerned about 'wasting' one of the GMAC CATs on the first attempt, but there are 3 other GMAC CATs and a variety of 3rd party CATs that you can use during the course of your studies, so that concern seems more emotional than practical.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
The diagnostic test in the Official Guide is a killer, and it has demoralized many students in the past. The test is useful to familiarize you with the types of questions found on the GMAT, but that's about it. I'd skip it and do a full-length test.

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you again for your answers, I decided I will do the CAT test as you suggested

1) What is your goal score? 700
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT? End of March
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Antartide,

That initial practice CAT results is important - it will give us a better sense of your current strengths and weaknesses. As such, if you can complete that CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend), and then report back here with your scores, then we can talk through your Study Plans. With an End of March Test Date, you have a little less than 3 months of study time available. While that might be enough time, you might actually need more time than that to hit your score goals. So some flexibility with your Test Date might be required.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everybody, I did my diagnostic exam today and these are the results:

IR scaled score = 2
IR percentile = 12

Q scaled score = 31
Q percentile = 26

V scaled score = 29
V percentile = 35

Total Score = 510
Percentile = 35

IR - 10 questions, 8 incorrect
Q - 37 questions, 17 incorrect
V - 41 questions, 13 incorrect

I am not really satisfied with my final result, but I have to admit that during the exam I expected a much lower score.

As you can see I have strong weaknesses in the first part and in the quant section.
The IR section was very difficult for me because, although knowing of its existence, I really did not know what it was about. In addition, I also did not have time to finish this section, and I did not complete the last four answers (which I know is very bad for the final score).

Regarding the quant section, I have never been very good at math. Indeed, I have always had problems even with the simplest calculations (I attribute this to the poor level of my middle school math teacher, but this is another story), and to be honest, at the end of the exam I expected a much lower score on this part.

Regarding the Verbal Section I expected a slightly better result but even this one (taking into consideration that this is my first attempt) is not so bad imo.

Now what is the problem? I have two months and half to prepare, I cannot move my exam because I need to send my applications during April. I read on other topics that it is possible to achieve a 700 score with a 500 starting score, but my question is: is this common? Or do only a very few amount of people succeed in doing so?

What do you think about this score and the number of wrong/right questions, do you need more data? If you think that it is possible to achieve a 700 with this starting score could you suggest me a study plan?

Thank you in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Antartide,

Since you're just starting out, a 510 is a decent 'baseline' CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Until you get a bit into your studies, we won't know exactly what you're capable of, but the immediate answer to your question is YES - lots of Test Takers are able to raise their scores 200 points over the course of about 3 months. The work will be challenging, and there will be a LOT of it, but each of the individual 'steps' you'll have to go through really isn't that difficult (you'll have to be consistent with your efforts though). Given your timeline and goal, you would likely benefit by investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Have you purchased any materials yet?
2) Hypothetically-speaking, if you scored 650, then would you still apply to School as planned?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Antartide,

Since you're just starting out, a 510 is a decent 'baseline' CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Until you get a bit into your studies, we won't know exactly what you're capable of, but the immediate answer to your question is YES - lots of Test Takers are able to raise their scores 200 points over the course of about 3 months. The work will be challenging, and there will be a LOT of it, but each of the individual 'steps' you'll have to go through really isn't that difficult (you'll have to be consistent with your efforts though). Given your timeline and goal, you would likely benefit by investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Have you purchased any materials yet?
2) Hypothetically-speaking, if you scored 650, then would you still apply to School as planned?

Rich

Thank you for your answer

1) Yes, the OG, do you suggest me to buy other books?
2) Yes, I want to send my applications to different schools (ESADE, Bocconi, HEC Paris, Rotterdam and others), in some of them it is possible to admitted with a 650
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Antartide,

The OG is a great book for practice questions, but it's not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or any of the little 'secrets' to the GMAT. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (https://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one(s) that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Test Score = 510 | Target = 700+ | Time = 2 1/2 months [#permalink]
How much does a two-month course cost? Which typologies of courses there are? Are they live-sessions or videos?

I took the OG Diagnostic Test today, here are the results:

OG Diagnostic Test (taken the day after the Cat Test)
Problem Solving - Average (13/24)
Data Sufficiency - Average (10/23)
Reading Comprehension - Above Average (15/17)
Critical Reasoning - Above Average (11/17)
Sentence Correction - Above Average (13/18)

As expected PS and DS (quants) are the parts in which I have to focus the most. There is no need to say that I also need to improve my CR skills. Regarding the RC questions (and, to a certain extent, the SC section) I am quite satisfied considering that English is not my first language and that I did not start studying yet.

Tomorrow I will start my preparation program on the OG, and in the next days I will buy the MGmat books.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.55
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Have you checked out Magoosh? They are an online course that provides tons of videos on every topic you need to know for the GMAT. I've been using them the last two weeks and I couldn't be happier with the organization and quality of the teaching. It only cost me $99 bucks too. I am using their 3-month plan, but you could easily condense it into two months if you need to. Check out this link: https://magoosh.com/gmat/gmat-study-schedule/ for their study plans.

BTW I feel like we are pretty similar as far as where we are in our test prep. I recently took the OG diagnostics test and had very similar results (though, I was a little weaker in the quant part than you). Feel free to reach out in a PM if you ever want to talk through things! I am not an expert by an means, but am always willing to collaborate and help out if I can! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ehoustman, Magoos seems to be pretty interesting, I especially like the specific guidelines they give you each day. I will think about it
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Antartide,

There are lots of different resources that you can use during the course of your studies, so a big part of the 'utility' of any resource is how well it meshes with your personality. I mentioned in a prior post how most GMAT Companies offer some type of free resources - you should investigate any and all that interest you and try them out. Based on your initial CAT score, timeline and score goal, you would likely benefit from investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot