Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers, [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 16:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:41) correct 48% (01:35) wrong based on 56 sessions
Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers, Bruce and Clerk. The students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. What is the probability that DIana leaves at the same time as AT LEAST on her bothers?

A. 1/27
B. 4/27
C. 5/27
D. 4/9
E. 5/9

Friends,
the explanation is given in the princeton review book, but i am not able to follow their explanation.

Please comment and explain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28572 [5] , given: 2803

Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rpgmat2010 wrote:
Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers, Bruce and Clerk. The students are to be randomly assigned into 3 groups, with each group leaving at a different time. What is the probability that DIana leaves at the same time as AT LEAST on her bothers?

a) 1/27
b) 4/27
c) 5/27
d) 4/9
e) 5/9

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Friends,
the explanation is given in the princeton review book, but i am not able to follow their explanation.

Diana and her two brothers can be assigned to one of the 3 groups, so each has 3 choices, so total # of different assignments of Diana and her 2 brothers to 3 groups is 3*3*3=3^3=27.

Now, "Diana leaves at the same time as AT LEAST one her brothers" means that Diana is in the same group as at least one her brothers.

Let's find the opposite probability of such event and subtract it from 1. Opposite probability would be the probability that Diana is not in the group with any of her brothers.

In how many ways we can assign Diana and her two brothers to 3 groups so that Diana is not in the group with any of her brothers? If Diana is in the first group, then each of her two brothers will have 2 choices (either the second group or the third) and thus can be assigned in 2*2=2^2=4 ways to other two groups. As there are 3 groups, then total # of ways to assign Diana and her 2 brothers to these groups so that Diana is not in the group with any her bothers is 3*4=12 (For each of Diana's choices her brother can be assigned in 4 ways, as Diana has 3 choices: first, second or the third group, then total 3*4=12). So probability of this event is \frac{12}{27}.

Probability that Diana is in the same group as at least one her brothers would be 1-\frac{12}{27}=\frac{15}{27}=\frac{5}{9}.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 31

Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:47
+1 Bunuel . Nice explanation.

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 02:49
bunuel, need your help. u r marvellous in ur approach. i went through all of them.i think my problem areas are permutation/probability. i understand though ur approaches. could you explain me, the basic way to approach such problems?the way to understand the independent, mutually exclusive, both combined, permutation/combination approach?meaning hw cn a problem be broken down to understand which approach to apply?

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 23:14
For "atleast" problems, its easier to do (1 - opposite of what is being asked). Here 1 - different groups

# of ways in which Diana can be assigned a group = 3
# of ways in which Bruce can be assigned a group = 2 (since bruce cannot be assigned the same group as diana)
# of ways in which Clerk can be assigned a group = 2 (since clerk cannot be assigned the same group as diana)

=> 1 - (3/3)(2/3)(2/3)
=> 5/9

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 05:41
I think forward approach also works well. Total ways are 3*3*3=27

The number of cases Diana will be with "one" of her brother= 3*2+3*2

The number of ways all three will be in one team=3*1*1=3

Total fav cases = 6+6+3=15

Probability = fav cases / total cases
= 15/27= 5/9

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Probability Qs from Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 04:37
Bunuel wrote:
rpgmat2010 wrote:

a) 1/27
b) 4/27
c) 5/27
d) 4/9
e) 5/9

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Friends,

Diana and her two brothers can be assigned to one of the 3 groups, so each has 3 choices, so total # of different assignments of Diana and her 2 brothers to 3 groups is 3*3*3=3^3=27.

Now, "Diana leaves at the same time as AT LEAST one her brothers" means that Diana is in the same group as at least one her brothers.

Let's find the opposite probability of such event and subtract it from 1. Opposite probability would be the probability that Diana is not in the group with any of her brothers.

In how many ways we can assign Diana and her two brothers to 3 groups so that Diana is not in the group with any of her brothers? If Diana is in the first group, then each of her two brothers will have 2 choices (either the second group or the third) and thus can be assigned in 2*2=2^2=4 ways to other two groups. As there are 3 groups, then total # of ways to assign Diana and her 2 brothers to these groups so that Diana is not in the group with any her bothers is 3*4=12 (For each of Diana's choices her brother can be assigned in 4 ways, as Diana has 3 choices: first, second or the third group, then total 3*4=12). So probability of this event is \frac{12}{27}.

Probability that Diana is in the same group as at least one her brothers would be 1-\frac{12}{27}=\frac{15}{27}=\frac{5}{9}.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel!
I got the same answer but I cannot really identify if my approach was a different way to get the same result or just a matter of luck.

I also substract the opposite probability: 1- P(ALL DIFERENT GROUPS)= 1-3C1x3/3x2/3x1/3x3!=5/9

My line of thought:
3C1: which group will be chose first
3/3: Any of the 3 groups cann be selected
2/3: prob of selecting any of the remainder 2
1/3: prob of selecting the remainder group
3! Number of ways the first selection can be made

Where I am wrong?

Thanks not just for your reply but for your amazing willingness to help.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28572 [0], given: 2803

Re: Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers, [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 09:56
Expert's post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 209

Re: Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers, [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 06:44
why we did 3x3x3 for assignment or distribution ?

why we have not considered cases of 0,1,2,3 ways of distribution of three people in three groups.

n+r-1Cr-1 looks much appropriate to find all possible cases.

5!/2! = 60 ways to distribute them in three groups.

G1 G2 G3
D D D
B B B
C C C

3X3X3 covers cases like DDD or DBD or BBB which is not a possible distribution.

Either I am not able to understand this question properly or answer choices are not correct.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Diana is going on a school trip along with her two brothers,   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2013, 06:44