Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diappointing ....680 (QA 50 ;VA 31)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Diappointing ....680 (QA 50 ;VA 31) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 06:46
Hi everyone,
I took GMAT today and feeling quite low with the pathetic score.

Essays were fine or rather I was just preared for them. had a standardised template for both AWA essays.
Quant was very strong for me, and has been reflected on the score. Got standard deviation, probablity, combination.

But Verbal really spoiled the day. My Verbal was extremely weak. I had tried a lot of techniques but the only thing I was comfortable with was SC. Got 5 RC passages. One towards the end. I was also running behind time.
Took about 23 minutes for first 10-11 questions. Had to rush through last few questions.

My KPLAN scores are as follows :
KP1 : 610
KP2 : 690
KP3 : 640
KP3 : 620
With 50 in QA on each test above. and 30-38 on VA

Wanted 700+ and i am really disappointed. I know GMAT is one of the 6 criteria used to evaluate a student but then my other areas do not seem to be as strong.

Can you please tell me what are my chances of making it to top 15 schools in US? Aslo whether a huge gap in VA and QA scores will reflect negatively on me?

Background:

A. I am 22 year old (female) from India with just about >1 year of work ex (would be 2 by the time I join) with an MNC (US based). I have got a few good projects that will show favourably on my profile. I have no experience in leadership, I have got 2 opportunities to train.

B. I have no exposure in community development but can definitely do a project for an NGO before sending my applications. How useful will this be? Or does the time spend with an NGO matters (I would have essentially worked 2-3 months before applying to schools)

C. I have a good CGPA at my graduation.

4. Extracurricular activities - debating. Though nothing to show on national/international level. Most of it was limited to school and college. My performance appraisal at work though recognises my good communication skills and have been rated highly on it.

Doesn't sound very convincing I know....but if I am not getting top 15 US schools I might as well apply to Singapore (NUS) or elsewhere. Any take on that?

Pls help
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 22:29
Hi Winds

its best if you can ask the experts. MBA Game Plan and Linda Abraham. both of them have a forum each on GMAT Club. Hjort, another great member, is also a good source for advice.

The most important thing in your favor is you have time. atleast a month or two before its serious application season.

I have written a lot in the past two days to several of our friends here. Lets see how we can help. If you plan on taking the test again, please share with us how you answer RC and CR questions. do you have a specific strategy for RC/CR/SC? depending on that, lets see if we can find something that can be improved. Of course, i have to ask, did you study your errors in RC ,CR and SC? its very important that you do.

I think i never said it before, but a lot of our friends here, Paul ,anand, srijay ,bhai,syamee_u , OlegC, Dookie, Ian, ob( extremely sorry if i missed anyone) are great participants on gmatclub. If you post your questions here, you might find new and unique ways of solving RC and CR problems.

One bad day. no worries. lets learn from it and try to improve.

Good Luck
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks a lot [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2004, 10:09
thanks a lot. I did write to Linda. She advised me to wait another year and then apply....also to get some NGo experience and also to retake GMAT.
But if I retake i fear that my score would average with my previous score?? :(

Thanks a lot for the continued support you ppl provide.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2004, 12:56
You are welcome.

Simply email the schools and ask them if they average GMAT Scores.

Linda's advice makes a lot of sense. its better to wait and take your best shot in another year or two.

Regards
Praetorian
  [#permalink] 08 Aug 2004, 12:56