Dick has adopted a school in the inner city. Each month he provides a certain amount of money to be divided among the students who make the honor roll. How much money does Dick donate each month?
1) If there were 5 less honor students next month it would result in a $2 increase per honor student.
2) If there were 4 more honor students it would result in a $1 cut per honor student.
Let there be n students, and lets say each gets $x.
(1) The extra 5x is distributed amongst the rest. So (5x/(n-5)) = 2 Or 5x=2n-10.Not enough to know both x and n.
(2) (xn/(n+4)) = (x-1) OR xn = xn+4x-n-4 OR 4x=n+4. Again not enough to know both x and n.
(1)+(2) : 2 equations in x and n which is clearly enough to solve.
Answer is (C)
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry
My GMAT story
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings