Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Did anyone take the GMAT on Nov. 22nd?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Did anyone take the GMAT on Nov. 22nd? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2004, 22:31
I took the GMAT yesterday. I am very skeptical of the scores that were reported back to me.

This was my second time taking the test. The first time I got a 580, 86% on math, and 29% on verbal (yeah, I know that I suck at verbal!!). However, after taking the test today, I supposedly did only 480!!! (31% math, 25% verbal)

I find it very difficult to believe that I did this poorly on my math section. In all of my practices, I was getting 66% and above. Additionally, the questions seemed to be getting harder as I was going through the test.

Although this is an odd question, is the computer ever wrong in reporting out scores? I've been racking my head all day about this poor score. I really thought that I could successfully break 600 today, since I have improved significantly on my verbal section and I'm good at math (have a Master's degree in Biostatistics). However, today's score is not indicative of this at all.

I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding my issue.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2004, 12:38
That is wierd. You cannot do anything I guess. if an increase in score is possible then even a decrease should be acceptable.

--Bhai
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2004, 01:43
Iam sorry to read about your experience. It is really weird....that your score in quant dropped in such a absymal way. It does happen, not so rarely, in verbal, but drop of this magnitude in quant is simply unheard of.
Stories like this make my belief even more stronger that Computer adaptive format is not without some glaring loopholes.
Write to ETS about it and request them to check your scoring. They do that if requested in such rare circumstances. But , having said that, Iam afraid that chances of score cancellation are very dim.
Looking harshly at your case, I would think that you might have been very careless/overconfident in first few questions in quant, owing to your earlier success in that section. As I always say, when we take the test second time, we subconsciously , but mistakenly, assume that if we did well in one section in previous attempt..we will repeat the performance automatically.
I would not worry much about quant section because you did score 86%ile in first attempt and you can never achiieve that level by pure luck. No doubt that your second score is a fluke..but I would ask u to be very careful taking the test next time and keep practising quant. to maintain the momentum.
But you need to go long way in verbal.. even if you repeat your first quant performance next time, you need atleast 60-70%ile in verbal to get a decent score.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

NOV 22 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 13:18
I took the test on november 22nd and have been pulling my hair out for the past week about what went wrong...i have consistently scored 660 range on all practice tests...took around 12....my quantive score was never below a 37....on the exam i got a 32....I was shocked....i called ETS, they said the official scores will be sent in the mail but basically laughed when i asked them about the chance of them making a mistake....most people said i probably made careless errors at the begining but i thought i performed very well on the quantitive section....my verbal was 38 which was consistent to what i had been getting on the practice exam. if you find out anything (my ego refuses to accept that i messed up) please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2004, 21:28
Hey Buddy,
I took my first ever GMAT on Nov 20. I got a 640 overall with pretty even results between Math and Verbal. I made a few stupid mistakes (and kicked myself for them). There were some pretty odd SC questions with very tricky traps. To be honest, some of those Math questions look like they came from Mars. I think you probably got trapped by those Mars-type question. Now I know November is not a good month to take the GMAT.
I guess the next step is to think about how to improve our scores for another 60-80 points. At the mid-600 level, the trick is to practice on the difficult questions. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get a list of good difficult questions to work on.
English is actually not my first language. I have done some intensive work on the Verbal section (probably at the expense of the Math section). If you are in New York City, I love to share my experience with you.
Pat
  [#permalink] 04 Dec 2004, 21:28