Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Did I kill my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Did I kill my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 06:19
[warning: the story contain in this post includes blatent acts of stupidity and may not be suitable for smarter readers.]

Ok... we all have a tendency to do silly things when we're under pressure, and I am no exception. Last week, while under the gun to get my GMAT score up in 3 days from a 670 to 700 (which I did do) so I could make round 1 deadlines, I did something foolish. On one of the three days in question was the Wharton open house for which I was registered. Weighing my options, I elected to study for the GMAT instead. Thinking I was doing the right thing by notifying the school, I sent them an email (the day of) saying "Sorry for the late notice, but I will not be able to make it to the open house tonight"... and here comes the stupid part..." and I will not be applying to Wharton."
Now, you're asking yourself "why include the second part if you were just going to miss the open house?" Good question. The answer lies in my other temporal issue... assuming I could pull off the 700 (which I did :) ), I would only have about 2 weeks to do the 6 Harvard essays AND the 4 Wharton essays. Since Harvard was my top choice, I decided to focus solely on its essays alone. The problem is that now I have gotten a fair amount of the Harvard essays done (one of which can be modified to satisfy a Wharton question), I'm thinking I should go ahead with Wharton anyway. So what do you think? Have I completely scuttled my chances with Wharton, or should I try anyway, gambling that they don't recognize my name?

- Dave

Project Management 101: Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick Two

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 08:18
I think that you are making a bit of a mountain out of mole hill about this.

First, you assume that the reader of the email will connect it with your application if/when it arrives.

Second, your decision was certainly not binding in any conventional sense- maybe just after writing the email you spoke to your boss who loved every minute he had spent at Penn and you changed your mind

Third, in the worst case scenario this might make you look somewhat confused but I do not think that it will have a large impact on admissions since many students find this process confusing.

As an aside, I am not sure why you specified this reason in the first place, but what's done is done.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Did I kill my chances? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 17:34
Expert's post
lacrosse_20 wrote:
[warning: the story contain in this post includes blatent acts of stupidity and may not be suitable for smarter readers.]

Ok... we all have a tendency to do silly things when we're under pressure, and I am no exception. Last week, while under the gun to get my GMAT score up in 3 days from a 670 to 700 (which I did do) so I could make round 1 deadlines, I did something foolish. On one of the three days in question was the Wharton open house for which I was registered. Weighing my options, I elected to study for the GMAT instead. Thinking I was doing the right thing by notifying the school, I sent them an email (the day of) saying "Sorry for the late notice, but I will not be able to make it to the open house tonight"... and here comes the stupid part..." and I will not be applying to Wharton."
Now, you're asking yourself "why include the second part if you were just going to miss the open house?" Good question. The answer lies in my other temporal issue... assuming I could pull off the 700 (which I did :) ), I would only have about 2 weeks to do the 6 Harvard essays AND the 4 Wharton essays. Since Harvard was my top choice, I decided to focus solely on its essays alone. The problem is that now I have gotten a fair amount of the Harvard essays done (one of which can be modified to satisfy a Wharton question), I'm thinking I should go ahead with Wharton anyway. So what do you think? Have I completely scuttled my chances with Wharton, or should I try anyway, gambling that they don't recognize my name?

- Dave

Dave,

If you registered for the Open House and provided you contact info then you are probably in a database and they probably have connected your e-mail to you.

On the other hand, they have also probably filed that e-mail and when they receive the application they won't go back and look at a long ago e-mail and even if they do, they may just figure you changed you mind once again.

Could that e-mail make them question your seriousness? yes -- if they open it in two or three months when they review your app. Would that be damaging? Probably. Is it likely? I don't think so.

Bottom line: If you really want to go to Wharton, while yes they may connect the e-mail to you and have it in your file, you should just apply and give it your best. Give them compelling reasons why you should go to Wharton.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog