Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Did my first GMAC CAT, need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Did my first GMAC CAT, need help [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 03:14
So today I just did the old CAT created by GMAC, without the IR section.

I scored 45 Quant and 32 on Verbal. As far as the Quant section is concerned, when I reviewed my errors, I have noticed I made many calculation mistakes. I am pleased with the result since I know I will be able to score higher.

Verbal however, completely killed me. To be more specific, Reading Comprehension section did. I got overall 12 questions wrong on the Verbal section 8 of which where from RC questions, 3 from SC and 1 from CR. I also kind of rushed through the test since I had around 11 minutes left before the end of the Verbal section. I have noticed most mistakes where in the middle and they go in order like this:

5,7,13,16,21,22,23,24,25,27 and 35

I wonder, because I got so many CR questions wrong, did the program gave me easier SC and CR questions as well? Or, if I improved the RC section I would be likely to score very well?

Could you please provide me with some input?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 18

Re: Did my first GMAC CAT, need help [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS
You have to perform equally well in all sections. Answering a wrong RC question won't affect your CR questions i.e you won't get easy CR because you made mistakes in RC. Check out thursdays with Ron videos and his take on RCs -> http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm. Watch all videos related to RC. Apart from that you can check out rhyme's strategy - how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html. Both are a little bit similar. Take notes and don't rush while answering the questions. Use a timing strategy to be on track and take all practice tests with strict official conditions with AWA IR and 8 min breaks to perform well on the actual test. The test is meant to break you down and that is why it is more important to improve your stamina.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Re: Did my first GMAC CAT, need help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 00:42
msvel2304 wrote:
You have to perform equally well in all sections. Answering a wrong RC question won't affect your CR questions i.e you won't get easy CR because you made mistakes in RC. Check out thursdays with Ron videos and his take on RCs -> http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm. Watch all videos related to RC. Apart from that you can check out rhyme's strategy - how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html. Both are a little bit similar. Take notes and don't rush while answering the questions. Use a timing strategy to be on track and take all practice tests with strict official conditions with AWA IR and 8 min breaks to perform well on the actual test. The test is meant to break you down and that is why it is more important to improve your stamina.

Thanks for the information as well as Thursdays with Ron link. I have heard about it before, wanted to check it but I forgot to do so. Made the bookmark now so I do not forget. I guess that I am really close, just one more section to go.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 6

Re: Did my first GMAC CAT, need help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 08:23
Expert's post
That's a pretty good verbal section on first try - only 1 CR wrong and 3 SC wrong. Doing poorly on RC won't affect the questions on the other sections. But certainly getting answers wrong on RC will lead to easier RC questions and getting even those wrong will lower your overall score.

You should focus on improving RC. GMATPill has some free resources on RC focused on how you should read the passage and think through the questions:

In a few weeks try another CAT exam and see if you do just as well on SC/CR as well.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

Re: Did my first GMAC CAT, need help [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 02:53
Thanks for the info.

After reading the post and watching two Ron's videos. I tried out the technique. I do better with Main Idea questions but I still struggle with other types of questions. It is also hard for me to assess the benefit of the new approach because sometimes I had better score at passages that came later in the OG than some than some that came earlier. I guess it depends on what kind of language the passage uses determines my score which kind of worries me.
Re: Did my first GMAC CAT, need help   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2012, 02:53