Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: Did not get in...Americorps Vista? [#permalink]
solaris1, depends on the role. From what I have seen, tap root is very selective but they do hire non-management level employees for roles like business analysis.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
I guess I missed this due to my travel over the last couple or weeks, but i was a VISTA and highly recommend it. I did it right out of college, so we're obviously a bit different, but you really get to do some incredible work. It's also got some cache. It's not the Peace Corps, but lots of folks know what it is and it says something about you.

I do have to say that being a VISTA is only as good as your host org. I have also hired and supervised a half-dozen VISTAs, and it takes a lot of work. Many nonprofits are cash-strapped and desperate for the help. But they operate in a perpetual defensive mode and aren't up for creating a worthwhile, forward-looking role for the vista. Look before you leap. Let me know if you have other questions. I used to counsel VISTAs in my area before coming back to school.

VIP7 wrote:
So it does not look i'm getting to any colleges this year. I applied to Kellogg, Mccombs, and Emory. Dinged from Kellogg...interviewed with Mccombs back in February, and have heard nothing from Emory. I think i'm a great applicant other than my undergrad gpa (2.7). I got a 710 on the GMAT and i have 5 year WE with a startup company (started on the production floor of a facility, and worked myself up to opening and leading an international office in India). I'm an Industrial Engineer from a good school in California, but i pretty much have Ds across the board for all my quant related classes.

I'm already taking classes through UC Berkeley Extension to mitigate the undergrad GPA...but i'm wondering what can i do during this year before i apply again next year.
I'm going to leave my current job no matter what(I’m over it…traveling is taking a toll on me…can’t do it for another year)...so i was thinking that this would be a great opportunity to do some community service...

Amercorps Vista is one year program where they set you up with a non-profit, and you get a very low living stipend from the government. I'm hoping to work with Netimpact or the The Taproot Foundation (non-profit consulting).

I think i am ready for business school right now, so i feel no need to work contract jobs to "further my experience."

How do you think Business School will react when i apply next year? Will they think the Americorps will be a good thing, or will they think i'm "confused about my goals"?

Any input would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot