Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 16:12
I have a friend that says he took the GMAT in the late 90's and it had 3 sections. A Quant, Analytical and Verbal. He says he took it on the computer and then had blue books to do the writing. Is this BS?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 16:34
Check this out:

June 21, 1997 was the last of the traditional "paper and pencil" GMAT. A record number of people took the GMAT on that day. These test takers were not motivated by feelings of nostalgia. For many, June 21 was the final chance to avoid the new Computer Adaptive GMAT - commonly known as the CAT. Better the devil you know than the one you don't! Those in the test prep industry marketed the idea that the CAT should be avoided and that June 21 was the last chance to avoid it. Predictably, enrollments in GMAT prep courses were very high during the spring of 1997.

Between June 21, 1997 and October 11, 1997 the test prep industry worked hard to determine how the upcoming CAT should be taught. GMAT provided very little information. In July 1997 the new GMAT Bulletin was published. The new Official Guide For GMAT Review and Computer Adaptive PowerPrep Software were released in August of 1997. Appointments to take the CAT were made starting August 15, 1997. October 11, 1997 was the first day that the new Computer Adaptive GMAT was administered.

On January 1, 1980 New York's "Truth In Testing" law took effect. This law forced those in the business of standardized testing to disclose the questions that contributed to a test taker's score. GMAT CAT questions will not be subject to disclosure laws. Individual GMAT's are now constructed by computer, from a pool of questions, to meet the ability of specific test takers. Questions in the pool will be reused and will not be disclosed

The "paper and pencil" GMAT continues to be administered in a small number of countries. Obviously test disclosure laws would not apply to tests administered outside the U.S. Indications are that GMAT may not be generating new "paper and pencil" GMAT for these locations.

I know there is a history of the GMAT in the front of the Princeton Review book and they talk about how the sections change, so its certainly possible.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 16:55
This is the same person that says he got a 743 and was waitlisted at Texas. A mutual friend of ours also said "If I had a nickel for every stupid thing he claimed, I'd be rich."

I take most of what he says with a block of salt.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:15
jallenmorris wrote:
This is the same person that says he got a 743 and was waitlisted at Texas. A mutual friend of ours also said "If I had a nickel for every stupid thing he claimed, I'd be rich."

I take most of what he says with a block of salt.

743 I doubt, but I do remember reading about there being a separate section for logical reasoning ala LSAT.
Re: Did the GMAT ever have 3 sections?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2008, 05:15