Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Did You Sloan Applicants Do This?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Did You Sloan Applicants Do This? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 11:53
I was about two seconds away from submitting my Sloan application and was doing my last read-through when I had one of those realizations that you have where you realize you've been looking at something so long you don't really see it objectively anymore.

For the cover letter, I had just basically taken my generic "Why an MBA?" essay that I used for all schools and structured it a little differently to flow like a cover letter, but at the last second I realized that they said "Write a cover letter..." not "Write an essay that's kind of like a cover letter..."

So at the last second I added the MIT address and my address at the top and spaced it all out the way you would a business letter, and added a signature at the bottom. Is this what everyone else did? Or do you think they just wanted something that was an essay written similar to a cover-letter.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 12:10
A Cover letter is not the same as an essay in a cover letter. A Cover letter usually more formal and needs to be addressed as if u are requesting for something (like a job or in this case admission into MIT).
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 17:38
yeah, I formatted mine like a cover letter. the beginning was a formal introduction that would be appropriate for a cover letter, but much of the base material was the same.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 08:01
So then did you also sign at the bottom and put the address up top like:

Rod Garcia
XXX Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA

Johnnyx9
XXX Main St.
Boston, MA

Dear Rod Garcia,
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 10:01
yep
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 17:57
Cool.

I must be really dim, because that only ocurred to me at the last second. I guess it can't be emphasized enough "Read the question."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 11:42
Yeah, I did all mentioned above as well. I also made it much shorter - just an ultra-brief version of "what's so cool about me" that was only meant to make the guy read the rest of my app. I realize they would read it all anyway, but decided to adhere to a primary purpose of a cover letter.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 14:11
It is supposed to be addressed to Rod Garcia... So I addressed the thing to him in writing... not just address label at the top. It was a letter... to the guy... that is pretty clearly how it is supposed to be. It isn't an essay with a different address label... it is a letter to a person making your case.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 14:14
Mine was not the same as a job cover letter... How one would add to a business school class and how one would contribute to a company are fundementally different questions. I spoke somewhat personally about how I am different and how I would make a unique contribution to the class as well as how I was qualified. I would hope everyone applying is qualified and I did address that, but alof of my letter addressed how I was a unique applicant who would add flavor to the class.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 14:31
Yeah I have no idea why I initially approached it as an essay, I must have been suffering brain damage from all the GMAT studying.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 06:46
Mark 4124,

Did you say you addressed it "in writing"? In other words, you didn't just upload a document online, you sent in a written letter?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 08:07
No... I uploaded a document... what I meant by that is that my whole letter was just that... a letter, addressed throughout as if I was speaking about myself to a person. It was not an essay at all, it was personal...

Here is a quote...

"I bring to Sloan a unique background as well as strong footing in finance. I believe that I will make an enduring impact upon my class while at Sloan, and take away the skills necessary to make an impact beyond."
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 09:17
Okay, gotcha.
  [#permalink] 30 Jan 2007, 09:17