Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I definitely believe it is worth for you to take another shot. From your description you definitely have not achieved your potential score for both sections. For math it hurted you because you didn't have time to finish, and for verbal you were obviously doing it too fast and had not given each question enough time and attention that it deserves.

You first focus now, I believe, would be to practise timing. Sounds like you have done many practise tests. How did you do timing wise on those tests? You need to be able to use your time well so that you can fully realize your potential.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a million for all the support. It’s really nice to have especially after the events of the last week.

At this point I am applying for this fall with two of my schools (due to their extended admission). We'll see what happens with their decision, and then I’ll decide what my next course of action is.

At some point, though, I really want to take it again because I know I can do better.

Again, thank you for the support and advice. :-D

-brett
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
'Morning Brett. I guess I don't need to tell you that strategy is crucial in these things. I agree with the others that you can indeed bring your score up, certainly to the 700 level if you want it enough.

Now, every person is different, but I think I have spotted several specific mistakes you can learn from before your next try. And because of your age and ability, I certainly agree that another go, expensive and difficult though it is, is worth your while.

OK, to begin. The math timing did not hurt you as bad as you think. This is evident from the fact that you appear to have only had to rush the last one or two questions. It is also evident from the low Verbal component to your score. Also, I got the sense that maybe the last 2 days before the test you were cramming? If so, all that did was fry your nerves when you needed rest the most. Also, I did not see any evidence in your words that you created and used an error log. So, there's room to set a better course.

I should stop here and mention that

A - I am going on 46 years old, so I understand the age thing.
B - I got a 730 (48 Q, 42 V, 6.0 AWA) on my GMAT in March

just so you know where I am coming from.

Now then, to simplify the matter you need to start with focus on your target: Getting into the best possible school for your MBA. If the schools ask for a "minimum" of 580, then honestly you want a 650+ to get their attention. It's always a good idea to give more than a required minimum.

Next, you want to set a schedule. If you have that much time before your application deadlines, give yourself about two or three months at least before your next test. While I understand the desire to run right out and slam that score where you want it, you need to be sure it's ready; while some schools will accept the highest or most recent score for their admissions consideration, do not forget that they will be told your last three scores (if you had that many), so if the first was not all you want, then the second should be significantly better. The '580' is still considered above-average, so it's not going to be a bad thing as long as you are ready for the rematch.

As you will have noticed, the GMAT is rough on those of us who have been out of school for a while. I mean, Geometry? I took that back in 8th Grade, and have had little call for it since then. And as for Verbal, it should be no surprise, sadly, that extensive use of American idioms and vernacular severely corrodes the grammatical knowledge we collected in school. So there's no choice but to go back and repair that knowledge, and to do in a methodical manner.

I mentioned the error log. That can be your very best friend in GMAT prep. It will track what you are missing, and help you focus on where you can improve the most. That translates directly into points.

And last but not least, the night before the test, relax and enjoy yourself, and make sure you get a good night's sleep. You need to be rested and calm when you take the GMAT.

Good luck.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
drummond, thats really good advice.

thank you for your participation.

Praetorian
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]