Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Didnt finish 2 questions on quant - approx value in pts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Didnt finish 2 questions on quant - approx value in pts? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 07:27
I didnt finish 2 questions on the quant portion - anyone know the approx value in pts I lost by not even guessing?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [1] , given: 114

Re: Didnt finish 2 questions on quant - approx value in pts? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
There is no way to know for sure, but you actually get penalized more for not answering questions at all then answering them and not getting them right. So you would have to factor in 2 missed questions plus 2 penalties for not answering the questions. If you were to miss them both (but still answer them) I would guess it cost you 10 points, if you were to get 1 of the 2 right, i would guess 20-30 points, and if you were to get both right, it could have cost you 30-40 points. These are all estimates based on experience with practice tests, debreifs, and others knowledge on the forums...

Sorry buddy. Timing is one of the huge factors on the GMAT, and they penalize hardest for not finishing sections...

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [0], given: 165

Re: Didnt finish 2 questions on quant - approx value in pts? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 21:02
Expert's post
AbeinOhio wrote:
I didnt finish 2 questions on the quant portion - anyone know the approx value in pts I lost by not even guessing?

Go through post on pacing yourself:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2009/10 ... e-week-48/

As for your question, let me give you an extract from this post:
"The creators of the GMAT confirm that there is a steep penalty for failing to answer a question – estimated at 5 percentile points for simply leaving one question unanswered. You must at least levy an answer to each question, but for pacing purposes, you may want to consider that having just enough time to guess on question 37 is at least acceptable, and having enough time to thoroughly complete it is ideal."

So you are looking at apprx 10 percentile points which means that if you got 80 percentile in Quant, 90 percentile was a matter of 30 secs. Of course, this is very approximate depending on the level of last 2 questions and your accuracy in them.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Didnt finish 2 questions on quant - approx value in pts?   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2012, 21:02