Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Diet and Calories

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Diet and Calories [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2004, 20:30
I don't have the OA for this.!

Begun as late as middle age, a diet restricting calories but that provides all of the required nutirents can perhaps retard the aged-related decline in a person's ability to ward off infection and thus may prolong life beyond a hundred years.

A) Begun as late as middle age, a diet restricting calories but that provides all of the required nutirents
B) Even if it is not initiated until middle age, a diet that restricts calories but provides all of the required nutrients
C) A diet, even if not initiated until middle age, restricted in calorie content that provieds all of the required nutrients
D) A diet restricting calories but providing all of the required nutrients, beginning as late as middle age,
E) A diet, beginning as late as middle age, that is restricted in calorie content but providing all of the required nutrients

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2004, 13:12
B?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2004, 23:17
I will go with D on this one

Praveen

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2004, 00:34
will pick E...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2004, 08:38
I am going with 'E'.

A. The past tense 'Begun' and a progressive term 'restricting' does not match.
C. Missing a 'but' to contrast that the diet has less calories but has all of the required nutrients.
D. 'A diet restricting calories' - makes it look like the diet is automatically restricting the in-take of calories.

Between 'B' & 'E' I think 'E' starts off with the subject 'A diet' that is more appropriate instead of 'B' and moreover I think the
'it' in 'B' is missing the noun that it is referring to - even though we can see that it is referring to 'diet' I think the pronoun should follow the noun it is referring, correct me if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Diet and Calories [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2004, 09:16
NEWKID wrote:
I don't have the OA for this.!

Begun as late as middle age, a diet restricting calories but that provides all of the required nutirents can perhaps retard the aged-related decline in a person's ability to ward off infection and thus may prolong life beyond a hundred years.

A) Begun as late as middle age, a diet restricting calories but that provides all of the required nutirents
B) Even if it is not initiated until middle age, a diet that restricts calories but provides all of the required nutrients
C) A diet, even if not initiated until middle age, restricted in calorie content that provieds all of the required nutrients
D) A diet restricting calories but providing all of the required nutrients, beginning as late as middle age,
E) A diet, beginning as late as middle age, that is restricted in calorie content but providing all of the required nutrients

This one's tough!! Well Ill go with E....

Choice B..."it" is very ambiguous.

Choice C...a "but" is missing before "restricted".

D.... i think " beginning as late as middle age" looks very awkward and out of place here. I think this choice would have been right if this "..." part would be there in the starting of the sentence.

A...The two parts before and after "but" are not parallel.. that is --- but ----. "restricting" and "provides" dont match "begun".

Hence, I choose E.

Let's get it right!!!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2004, 03:11
I think in B - the pronoum "it" is pretty clear and it refers to the subject "Diet" that follows......to me B conveys the idea of time (Even if it is not initiated until middle age) better than (beginning as late as middle age)

so I am tempted to select B over E unless there is some other error in B.....

WHat is the official answer?

Any verbal gurus around ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2004, 04:00
I'll go with "C", though it was tough to decide between "B" and "C".

The basic idea the author tries to convey is that a diet low in calories, but containing all other nutrients can help in prolonging life. The part "begun as late as middle age" qualifies this main message.

"A" - emphasises on when the diet is initiated.

"B" - same as "A" in my opinion

"D" - the phrase "beginning as late as middle age" seems to qualify the "required nutrients".

"E" - "beginning as late as middle age" does not properly convey the meaning. Seems to qualify "the diet" more than when it is started.

Any hope to get hold of the OA?
  [#permalink] 03 Dec 2004, 04:00