Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Difference between MBA Concentrations at top schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Difference between MBA Concentrations at top schools [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 18:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I've heard great things about Wharton and Booth's MBA/Finance courses. I read someplace else that MIT's MBA is heavily "quant-focused".

If there are specific, significant differences (strengths vs weaknesses) between the top 25, where would I go to read about this more? Any help in terms of paid, or free resources would be appreciated. I intend on using this information to shortlist the schools I should be applying to...

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difference between MBA Concentrations at top schools [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
There isn't really one source that you could get all the information from so I'll just list all the good sources of information..
1. GMATClub - There are several forums in GC where you can get a sense of the the "character" of a school and great information on the strengths and relative weaknesses of schools. Look into the Business School Reviews forum in particular. There are some really excellent posts in there.
2. Businessweek - Take a look at the MBA Profiles for various schools in the "Rankings and Profiles" section. They give a very nice snapshot of all schools, including comments from current students, that I found very helpful.
3. Poets & Quants - Another good site that does a lot of school comparisons (Booth vs. Kellogg, HBS vs. Wharton etc.) and has interviews from Deans of various schools.
4. Current students & alumni - If you can get in touch with any acquaintance / friend who is a current student or alumni, then this can prove to be a huge treasure trove!! Don't underestimate the wealth of knowledge that you can glean from alumni and current students. They've been there and done that and if you know them well, they wont BS you..
5. School Guides from Admissions Consultants - Most admission consultants prepare school specific guides. These are not free. I haven't had a chance to really go thru those so I can't really comment on how helpful they are..

Once you have shortlisted some schools, then depending on your location and other constraints, you should also try to visit schools or at the very least attend information sessions or informal coffee chats that the schools may conduct in your city. You will eventually develop a good 'feel' about the culture of the school after a good deal of research and that will in turn enable you to analyze your "fit" with the school..

Hope this answers your question! Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Difference between MBA Concentrations at top schools   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2012, 19:59