Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 05:20
Guys,

I just scored q51 on my practice test and couldn't help noticing that it is 98%. I still had some questions wrong, so I was wondering whetherit makes a difference on my overall score if I score q51 and answer e.g. 7 questions wrong or score q51 with just 0 - 2 questions wrong?
If not, I will focus a bit more on verbal from now on (v39), a score that definitely gives more room for improvement :-)
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 06:24
JackDaniels wrote:
Guys,

I just scored q51 on my practice test and couldn't help noticing that it is 98%. I still had some questions wrong, so I was wondering whetherit makes a difference on my overall score if I score q51 and answer e.g. 7 questions wrong or score q51 with just 0 - 2 questions wrong?
If not, I will focus a bit more on verbal from now on (v39), a score that definitely gives more room for improvement :-)

1.) No one can tell that with certainty. Most probably it does make a difference, but a minor one. It might be a possible reason why people with the same split end up with different scores.
2.) You cannot get 7 questions wrong and score a q51. Again, from the data I have seen.
3.) You are better off concentrating on verbal.
Intern
Intern

Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 09:02
jumsumtak wrote:
JackDaniels wrote:
Guys,

1.) No one can tell that with certainty. Most probably it does make a difference, but a minor one. It might be a possible reason why people with the same split end up with different scores.
2.) You cannot get 7 questions wrong and score a q51. Again, from the data I have seen.

Thanks for the reply. I took 7 as an example, haven't looked carefully at the questions I did wrong yet but I am pretty sure there were more than 2.

How did you improve your verbal score towards 40+? 700+ material for Verbal is much more scarce than material for Math.
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 09:17
JackDaniels wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
JackDaniels wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I took 7 as an example, haven't looked carefully at the questions I did wrong yet but I am pretty sure there were more than 2.

How did you improve your verbal score towards 40+? 700+ material for Verbal is much more scarce than material for Math.

check out my long a** debrief. in my signature. You might get some pointers.

Well, the problem with verbal 700+ is that it is pretty much the same (you just play around with more ambiguous things) , unlike quant 700+, which tests tougher 'concepts'. Let me know if you are looking for anything specific.

If you can 'master' official questions on verbal, nothing like it.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9405 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 10:55
Expert's post
JackDaniels wrote:
Guys,

See this post too:
gmat-scores-83890.html

P.S. I think it makes sense to move on to Verbal :-)
Q51 is as high as it gets.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 02:28
Thanks both. I decided to take your advice and move on to Verbal (with a brief practice of math each day to keep up my level). I am currently going through all the 'Official Collection of Everything' compilation and scoring consistently 90% or higher in all areas (SC being a bit on the edge of 85 - 90). However, a significant portion of the questions are not questions you will face typically at v40 or higher, so I feel like I am wasting my time a little if I keep doing this.

Is there any additional material you recommend? For RC I am practicing LSAT passages, which may not be completely representative but force me to understand difficult RC passages. It's not very relevant for me whether the material is free or not - I only care about the quality. Preferably material in which the majority of questions are v40+. I am aiming at v45.

Thanks in advance :-)
Re: Difference in score within a certain q(X) / v(X) score?   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2013, 02:28