Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Differences between Haas and Anderson (rankings aside)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Anderson '16 (M)
WE: Law (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 6

Differences between Haas and Anderson (rankings aside) [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 01:05
Hi guys!

I have been admitted to Anderson (with $) and I recently got into Haas WL. And despite I don't like to count chickens before the eggs hatch, I would really like to know how much effort I should invest in making those eggs hatch! In other words, if the differences between Haas and Anderson for my career goals are worth the effort of trying to get out of the WL :)

And that is why I wanted to ask my fellow gmatclubbers about the real differences between both schools, and I am especially interested in Californians input! (as I want to look for a job in California post-MBA).

I have looked at rankings and employment reports for both schools and I have visited both campuses, so one could say I have done my "due diligence" here :)

However, rankings aside, I would really want to know the core differences between both schools and if I would be considerably better-off with one or the other.

I know Haas is better ranked in official rankings but: is this really a big deal? (for example, IE is higher in rankings that IESE but the difference is not really perceived here in Spain, I would even dare to say IESE is perceived as a better school (at least in Spain)!) Also, I am a little sceptic with rankings (for instance Booth is ranked higher that Stanford in BW and IE is ranked higher than Booth in FT...) so I don't want to base my decision only on what these rankings say.

I am not determined to an specific career path but I know I want to live in California post-MBA (don't really care about North or South, although I have a slighter preference for SoCa).

As for my career paths post-MBA, I am certain about what I don't want to do (Consulting or IB) but I have not decided what to do yet (I am interested in Tech, alternative ways of financing for start ups (not necessarily tech startups), new payment methods and Finance (anything but IB, maybe BD in a bank or financial services in a corporate) in no particular order).

Do you think any of this schools would put me in a better position on any of these fields?

I would really love to hear your input! In the end what I want to decide is if I should go with Anderson and forget about Haas or if it would be really worth it to try to get out Haas' WL.

Many thanks in advance :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Differences between Haas and Anderson (rankings aside) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 22:18
lawgirl27 wrote:
Hi guys!

I have been admitted to Anderson (with $) and I recently got into Haas WL. And despite I don't like to count chickens before the eggs hatch, I would really like to know how much effort I should invest in making those eggs hatch! In other words, if the differences between Haas and Anderson for my career goals are worth the effort of trying to get out of the WL :)

And that is why I wanted to ask my fellow gmatclubbers about the real differences between both schools, and I am especially interested in Californians input! (as I want to look for a job in California post-MBA).

I have looked at rankings and employment reports for both schools and I have visited both campuses, so one could say I have done my "due diligence" here :)

However, rankings aside, I would really want to know the core differences between both schools and if I would be considerably better-off with one or the other.

I know Haas is better ranked in official rankings but: is this really a big deal? (for example, IE is higher in rankings that IESE but the difference is not really perceived here in Spain, I would even dare to say IESE is perceived as a better school (at least in Spain)!) Also, I am a little sceptic with rankings (for instance Booth is ranked higher that Stanford in BW and IE is ranked higher than Booth in FT...) so I don't want to base my decision only on what these rankings say.

I am not determined to an specific career path but I know I want to live in California post-MBA (don't really care about North or South, although I have a slighter preference for SoCa).

As for my career paths post-MBA, I am certain about what I don't want to do (Consulting or IB) but I have not decided what to do yet (I am interested in Tech, alternative ways of financing for start ups (not necessarily tech startups), new payment methods and Finance (anything but IB, maybe BD in a bank or financial services in a corporate) in no particular order).

Do you think any of this schools would put me in a better position on any of these fields?

I would really love to hear your input! In the end what I want to decide is if I should go with Anderson and forget about Haas or if it would be really worth it to try to get out Haas' WL.

Many thanks in advance :-D

I am actually trying to decide between Anderson (no $) and Tepper (with some $), but I do live in the Bay Area and have for my entire life, so maybe can give some feedback.

It sounds like you are interested in entrepreneurship when it all boils down. Of course, both schools are going to be somewhat strong in that field, and both will have presence in the tech industry. However, the tech industry IS centered in the Bay Area (vs less so in SoCal). Being around here, I don't see AS many UCLA MBAs, but again, keep in mind that I dont work in HR or recruiting, those people undoubtedly see UCLA MBAs all the time. I would research further which school has a stronger entrepreneurial program (I would guess it's Haas). Even so, I wouldn't let that dictate your decision completely.

Just to do a quick high level analysis, entrepreneurship is two things, if anything: about connections, and being broke. Haas will give you better connections (I am guessing here, maybe not so if you want to be in SoCal), but UCLA will allow you to have more breathing room financially, which can make or break an entrepreneur. If I were you, I'd do Anderson.

By the way, interesting idea about alternative financing for start-ups! I actually personally think the financial industry is ripe for disruption.
Re: Differences between Haas and Anderson (rankings aside)   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2014, 22:18