Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Differences in test taking policies -- US vs International?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Differences in test taking policies -- US vs International? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 12:03
I have read several postings that deal with whether or not test takers can or cannot bring things into the exam and/or about how stringent or lenient the proctors are at the testing centers.

This made me curious about the following: Are there any differences in test taking policies between US and International (non-US) testing centers?

I would appreciate honest responses regarding this because I think there are quite a bit of non-US residents that might be confused by US-specific advice and vice versa with US residents.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 10:12
Since people seem to be shy about sharing their thoughts on this issue, let me get you guys started.

Here is the link to the posts about whether you can bring in watches:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2055

Here is the link to the posts on whether you can bring in calculators -- definitely a no, no:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1577
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 10:22
I should have added that the postings regarding calculators also dealt with some other test taking policy issues.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2003, 09:59
Like I said before, this issue has come up before and it will come up again. Since we are all here to be helpful to one another, I think it would be great is somebody with some experience or opinion on this would respond.

There are some advice out there that is geared more toward US testtakers that would confuse foreign testtakers, and vice versa. It would be really helpful if people can offer advice to everyone about the distinctions between the test taking policies of different regions.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2003, 12:59
I have not taken the GMAT yet, but I have gone to the testing site beforehand and spoke with the moderator. She said that you cannot bring ANYTHING in except for ID. EVERYTHING else goes in a locker they provide. So, don't bring 1000 in cash on test day and be surprised that you will have to put your wallet in the locker, and have to be thinking about that 1000 during the test...bring nothing but ID. She said that you would have to take off your watch, calcs. (obviously), can't bring paper, pens NOTHING. Personally, I liked going to the test site in advance so I could get the feel for the room, parking , the moderator, etc.... I highly suggest it to anyone who has the oppty.

This is for a US test site

Sept 3rd

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2003, 09:12
I have to add my experience here!!

I went to the Ny testing center.I had a stop watch(doesn't make any noise) and before I reached the test center, I called them and asked if it was allowed.
So the guy said it was as long as it doesn't make any beeping sounds.
I was also wearing a digital watch with no stop watch option.

when I reached the center, they didn't let me take in either of them.
While signing for going into the test room, I realized I forgot to take off my watch.SO I told the guy I'll go keep it in the locker.Well...he said you can keep it.Digital watches are allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!

another thing!

I usually feel more cold than normal people so I was wearing a thin warm jacket.The lady said,either wear it or keep it outside....if you feel warm inside the class.....you cannot take it off or hang it on the chair!!!!!!!!

What is this?????

CRUELTY at its best!!!!!!!!!

even the people at one test center don't know what's allowed and what's not!!!!!!
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2003, 04:29
I have said this before and I say it again: the best policy to follow is to simply assume that the proctor will strictly follow the rules clearly listed at MBA.com, then you will not be negatively surprised or dissapointed.

Also, since it seems that the level of enforcement seems to vary from place to place, what is the use of asking on this forum unless you are sure to go to the same place with the same proctor who is in the same mood as for whoever gives you their wonderful advice?

Wearing a watch will not give you an edge so why worry about it? If I were you I would simply assume that I could ONLY bring ID and take all of my practice tests under that assumption. Period end.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

[#permalink] 30 Aug 2003, 04:29