Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dilemma about scheduling test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 12:08
Hi all,

I've now completed 3 full length CAT tests (2 gmat preptest and 1 free MGMAT CAT test). I probably should have saved the 2nd preptest for last, but I didn't. I was hoping to score around a 750, but here are my scores

Last week:
Gmat preptest 1: 730

Yesterday:
Gmat Preptest 2: 730

Today:
MGMAT free CAT test 1: 690.

I was extremely pressed for time in the Mgmat. The Q section seemed a ton harder than the preptest ones. However, when I looked at my breakdown, it was actually my verbal where I scored lower than i normally do.

I was hoping to schedule my actual test for next Monday. Would it be wise to hold off, or should I go ahead with it anyway? Is the MGMAT test known to be 'harder' than the Preptests? Thanks for any words of advice

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9466 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 14:13
Expert's post
shadowsjc wrote:
Hi all,

I've now completed 3 full length CAT tests (2 gmat preptest and 1 free MGMAT CAT test). I probably should have saved the 2nd preptest for last, but I didn't. I was hoping to score around a 750, but here are my scores

Last week:
Gmat preptest 1: 730

Yesterday:
Gmat Preptest 2: 730

Today:
MGMAT free CAT test 1: 690.

I was extremely pressed for time in the Mgmat. The Q section seemed a ton harder than the preptest ones. However, when I looked at my breakdown, it was actually my verbal where I scored lower than i normally do.

I was hoping to schedule my actual test for next Monday. Would it be wise to hold off, or should I go ahead with it anyway? Is the MGMAT test known to be 'harder' than the Preptests? Thanks for any words of advice

GMATPrep is the only reliable indicator, so do not get distracted with the MGMAT result.
Depending on how you deal with stress, you may do as much as 40 points higher/lower than your practice exam, so you have potential for both.

Frankly - it sounds like you are ready and 730 or 750 is not that much of difference. The ROI of 750 after 730 is not really there.
To improve from 730 to 750 is going to take a LOT of effort and time to find all the little specs of information you missed and reinstate them or polish your strategies.
Take a few more full-length tests and go for the test. Monday sounds like a good day to me (after a good rest on Sunday). Make sure you are comfortable with how you will approach the test and which strategies will use. (don't change them on the test - that's whey you have the time now to finalize and lock them in).

If you need more tests, see this list for free stuff: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 16:59
Agreed - take it when it's scheduled.

As to problem with timing - MGMAT is really difficult to get through in 75 minutes, would not worry about this.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Current Student
Schools: Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 08:18
I take the test on Saturday so Im not experienced with the actual GMAT, but based on your description it sounds like you are ready. I used the full Manhattan GMAT self study program and those tests, specifically Quant sections, are much harder than the GMAC Prep Tests. I scored 670, 690 and 700 on Manhattan. I took my first prep test last weekend and the other last night. I got a 750 and 760 respectively. I also had no issues with time on the Prep Tests, but I was unable to ever finish the MGMAT sections.

In conclusion, dont let the MGMAT affect your confidence. If you feel confident and comfortable, you will be in a much more clear mindset on test day, critical to staying relaxed. Good luck.
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 08:42
thanks for the advice. i hadnt actually scheduled it for monday, i just had it as a tentative option. of course, today when i go to schedule, there are no longer any available dates on monday :roll: . luckily, i just booked it for tuesday.. one day shouldnt make a huge amount of difference.

GMAT Debrief

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 10:32
Expert's post
shadowsjc wrote:
thanks for the advice. i hadnt actually scheduled it for monday, i just had it as a tentative option. of course, today when i go to schedule, there are no longer any available dates on monday :roll: . luckily, i just booked it for tuesday.. one day shouldnt make a huge amount of difference.

Make sure you take monday off (I strongly recommend)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 11:05
just as a follow up, i took 2 more MGMAT tests since my first post. My scores were as follows:

MGMAT #2 (4 days ago): 660 (42 Q, 38 V) :oops:
MGmAT #3 (today): 720 (44 Q, 44 V) :-D

if i had done poorly today, i would have tried to put it out of my mind, as what i was really shooting for was preparing my mind for the 4 hour journey it will take tomorrow. however, im glad that even though the scores of the MGMAT tests may not be the best indicator, at least i improved somewhat in them. tomorrow is d-day for me - hopefully all goes well. ill relax for the rest of today, and tomorrow ill release some stress at the gym before the test. thanks for all the advice

GMAT Debrief

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Dilemma about scheduling test [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 15:37
Expert's post
shadowsjc wrote:
just as a follow up, i took 2 more MGMAT tests since my first post. My scores were as follows:

MGMAT #2 (4 days ago): 660 (42 Q, 38 V) :oops:
MGmAT #3 (today): 720 (44 Q, 44 V) :-D

if i had done poorly today, i would have tried to put it out of my mind, as what i was really shooting for was preparing my mind for the 4 hour journey it will take tomorrow. however, im glad that even though the scores of the MGMAT tests may not be the best indicator, at least i improved somewhat in them. tomorrow is d-day for me - hopefully all goes well. ill relax for the rest of today, and tomorrow ill release some stress at the gym before the test. thanks for all the advice

Good Luck!
There is definitely no disadvantage (other than $200) taking the test tomorrow. Go for it!

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: Dilemma about scheduling test   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2009, 15:37