Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dilemma: Cost of Waiting

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 14:39
I have average to slightly above-average stats for an elite school. Worked for 4 years, but don’t have a solid career trajectory due to job switching. I have been admitted into a top 10-14 school. I am unsure about my post-MBA goal. But if I stick with my job for 2 more years, I am very likely to be promoted. I’m wondering whether or not to wait a year or two to reapply for a chance at Stanford or HBS.

Ignoring my chances of getting into S/H after 2 years. Is 2 years of post-MBA career head start from an elite b-school worth the potentially better career exit and network at S/H?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 1

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 20:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
rduitch wrote:
I have average to slightly above-average stats for an elite school. Worked for 4 years, but don’t have a solid career trajectory due to job switching. I have been admitted into a top 10-14 school. I am unsure about my post-MBA goal. But if I stick with my job for 2 more years, I am very likely to be promoted. I’m wondering whether or not to wait a year or two to reapply for a chance at Stanford or HBS.

Ignoring my chances of getting into S/H after 2 years. Is 2 years of post-MBA career head start from an elite b-school worth the potentially better career exit and network at S/H?


I don't think anything can beat the HBS network and brand prestige. But I think you have to ask yourself if its worth giving up admission at an elite school for a chance at H/S?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 20:37
Not a whole lot of information here other than slightly above average stats.

But i'm not understanding how a promotion 2 years down the track will make you H/S material.
Im feeling fundamentally you will be a very similar candidate then.

If you are sure you can get into H/W in a year or two it may be worth it. But not many people can be sure.

Lets say you can move up a tier to say a M7 school not H/S/W i would say its not worth it, but there are many other factors to consider. Like why you want to goto bschool and what you want to achieve etc. Lets say for example you want into P/E, then the two years and getting into H/S would be worth it.
Kellogg Thread Master
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 150
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 77

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 22:03
May I ask which school have you been admitted to? You should keep in mind that once you rescind the admission offer of the school you've been admitted to, you won't be able to apply to the same school ever again with a straight face.

You can also ask them whether there is any possibility of deferring the admission offer citing some personal exigency.
_________________

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:24
One thing to remember is this: you already have four years of experience, which is the sweet spot for H/S. If you didn't get in this cycle, I don't see how two years and one promotion will meaningfully change your chances. Keep in mind, though, that this is just a gut reaction to the minimal information with which you have provided us.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Go Blue!
Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 685
Location: United States (MO)
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:26
Agree with the above posters. Being a 10-14 admit myself at Ross, I would absolutely give up 2 years to attend Harvard or Stanford. But I also know that 2 years wouldn't dramatically alter my chances. P&Q already dug up the dirt on Stanford's incoming class, and it's not all hippy dippy save the world as they would want you to believe. It's a metric ton of Bain & GS types. So if you are currently working at a firm of that stature, then maybe your chances are decent, if not.... good luck lol.

I would not give up 2 years for non-HS M7. The 10-14 schools are all super solid and will provide tons of opportunities across the board.
_________________

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 389
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:41
I agree with the poster who said above that fundamentally you would remain the same/similar candidate. Wouldn't a promotion in the next 2 years be considered as expected if you continue in the same job trajectory? Further you are looking at it as 2 years until matriculation. Really speaking, you only have a year until the app season for 2014 begins...

If you think there were other factors including your job profile that contributed to you not getting into H/S, simply holding out for two years for a promotion won't help.. Even if you think that your job profile/growth was the ONLY factor which did not help you get into H/S, it still doesn't help..because 1 year of rockstar work will not override 4 years of middling performance..

Take the admit and go with an open mind to your school. You will find that many of the opportunities that could've been available to you at H/S would still be available to you, albeit in lower numbers..
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:41
Thanks for you feedbacks. Ignoring my odds of getting in H/S. I want to get your feel on what the pros and cons of getting a head start on one's post-MBA career versus the benefits of attending H/S.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Go Blue!
Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 685
Location: United States (MO)
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 249

Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
rduitch wrote:
Thanks for you feedbacks. Ignoring my odds of getting in H/S. I want to get your feel on what the pros and cons of getting a head start on one's post-MBA career versus the benefits of attending H/S.


Everywhere I went I heard, "You know when we go into a job interview, we're sitting next to applicants from HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, and at that point the school has done its job and it's up to you."

A lot of the core b-school jobs are feeding from all of the top schools. Waiting 2 years might just put you 2 years behind where you were already going to end up. Which is why, to me, most of the M7 is not worth the wait. HBS and Stanford supposedly hold the keys to some ultra elite jobs, and hold that extra special prestige to grease your first job and boost future promotions, but probably most other schools are in roughly the same boat.
_________________

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 12:25
rduitch wrote:
Thanks for you feedbacks. Ignoring my odds of getting in H/S. I want to get your feel on what the pros and cons of getting a head start on one's post-MBA career versus the benefits of attending H/S.

I think one case where it may make sense is if your desired career is in an ultra-competitive field where networking is at an even higher premium, like private equity, venture capital, or hedge fund management.
Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2012, 12:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Dilemma hedgemat 4 30 Mar 2011, 06:29
Dilemma (current Cornell student): Johnson 2010 or wait? VictoryMBA 1 07 Oct 2009, 10:14
5 ** Dilemma ** ariel 20 12 Nov 2008, 13:41
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Dilemma phidelt689 1 18 Apr 2008, 09:59
Dilemma ValleyBall1 2 02 Aug 2005, 09:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Dilemma: Cost of Waiting

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.