Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Dilemma: Cost of Waiting [#permalink]
Not a whole lot of information here other than slightly above average stats.

But i'm not understanding how a promotion 2 years down the track will make you H/S material.
Im feeling fundamentally you will be a very similar candidate then.

If you are sure you can get into H/W in a year or two it may be worth it. But not many people can be sure.

Lets say you can move up a tier to say a M7 school not H/S/W i would say its not worth it, but there are many other factors to consider. Like why you want to goto bschool and what you want to achieve etc. Lets say for example you want into P/E, then the two years and getting into H/S would be worth it.
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
May I ask which school have you been admitted to? You should keep in mind that once you rescind the admission offer of the school you've been admitted to, you won't be able to apply to the same school ever again with a straight face.

You can also ask them whether there is any possibility of deferring the admission offer citing some personal exigency.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
One thing to remember is this: you already have four years of experience, which is the sweet spot for H/S. If you didn't get in this cycle, I don't see how two years and one promotion will meaningfully change your chances. Keep in mind, though, that this is just a gut reaction to the minimal information with which you have provided us.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Agree with the above posters. Being a 10-14 admit myself at Ross, I would absolutely give up 2 years to attend Harvard or Stanford. But I also know that 2 years wouldn't dramatically alter my chances. P&Q already dug up the dirt on Stanford's incoming class, and it's not all hippy dippy save the world as they would want you to believe. It's a metric ton of Bain & GS types. So if you are currently working at a firm of that stature, then maybe your chances are decent, if not.... good luck lol.

I would not give up 2 years for non-HS M7. The 10-14 schools are all super solid and will provide tons of opportunities across the board.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I agree with the poster who said above that fundamentally you would remain the same/similar candidate. Wouldn't a promotion in the next 2 years be considered as expected if you continue in the same job trajectory? Further you are looking at it as 2 years until matriculation. Really speaking, you only have a year until the app season for 2014 begins...

If you think there were other factors including your job profile that contributed to you not getting into H/S, simply holding out for two years for a promotion won't help.. Even if you think that your job profile/growth was the ONLY factor which did not help you get into H/S, it still doesn't help..because 1 year of rockstar work will not override 4 years of middling performance..

Take the admit and go with an open mind to your school. You will find that many of the opportunities that could've been available to you at H/S would still be available to you, albeit in lower numbers..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for you feedbacks. Ignoring my odds of getting in H/S. I want to get your feel on what the pros and cons of getting a head start on one's post-MBA career versus the benefits of attending H/S.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
rduitch wrote:
Thanks for you feedbacks. Ignoring my odds of getting in H/S. I want to get your feel on what the pros and cons of getting a head start on one's post-MBA career versus the benefits of attending H/S.

I think one case where it may make sense is if your desired career is in an ultra-competitive field where networking is at an even higher premium, like private equity, venture capital, or hedge fund management.
GMAT Club Bot