Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dilemma - Kelley vs Kenan-Flagler

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dilemma - Kelley vs Kenan-Flagler [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 18:36
Hi Folks,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I look forward to getting some help in arriving at a decision.

Some background
- international student
- 4.5 years work exp. in the software industry
- MBA stream: Marketing
- Preferred / Target industry after graduation: software industry

The dilemma
I have got admits at Kelley and Kenan-Flagler. The Kelley admit comes with G.A. and the difference in expenditure between the two stands at about 46000 USD over two years.

Can you folks please provide me with your inputs on the two schools which will help we weigh my options better ? Thank you.

Eragon
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:08
I think these schools are comparable, and both have regional strength. I think it will depend on where you want to work. Beyond that, since they are similar, money would probably be a factor.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:12
Both schools are highly relatively highly regarded for marketing. Probably depends on where you want to work geographically, and the extra $50K might be nice!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:28
UNC has a stronger overall reputation, but they are in adjacent clusters and ca. 50k should certainly be taken into account. I would actually lean in favor of Indiana in part because of its location in the midwest.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 05:41
I also got a very good package from Indiana. I am waiting on UNC decision. Did you get any aid at UNC? I am imagining I will see an admit at UNC but with less aid as well. I was looking at Indiana housing the other day. Indiana rents are awesome. For the price of a dive in Boston or NYC you can get a very nice place. It seems like UNC has a broader reputation nationally, which might make a difference particularly for an international student. But both are comparibly ranked by most sources. You might have a bit of a recruiting edge nationally with UNC. But that is a great package and surely a tough decision. Could you share your profile with us?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 18:20
Thanks for your inputs folks. My profile

GMAT - 740 (AWA 6/6)
TOEFL - 297
Work exp - 4.5 years
Industry- Software (telecom)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 07:56
Guys,
I worked in Indiana for a long time. You guys might be missing the fact that he's an International student. So, please keep in mind the following points -

1) Kenan-Flager is the better school.
2) Kelley has a definite problem with placing International students, as well as the fact that Kelley grads command a lower salary than Kenan-Flager.
3) However, the extra 50k needs to be balanced out - the difference in salary between the two schools, even though Kelley is lower, will not balance out for a long time. Its not like Kenan-Flager students get paid 40-50% more than Kelley, the difference is more like 10-20%. So Kelley may be a good option here.
4) Kenan-Flager has access to all the East Coast companies as well as Rayleigh, Charlotte, Durham.
5) Kelley has access to Chicago and Cincinnati. Indianapolis and Louisville suck for jobs, particularly higher paying ones.
6) There will be a few companies coming from far away to recruit from both colleges, but not many. In addition, they may or may not be hiring international students, particularly 2-3 years from today.
7) Kelley has a good marketing program, but not everything in Kelley is good. However, since marketing is the focus, its all good.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 09:22
I think some of the broad assumptions made in the last post are a bit willy-nilly. Kenan-Flagler is a great school, but to flat out say it is the better school is a bit off-base, especially if the focus is marketing.

The marketing salary differences last year were about $3K more per year at K-F.

I think a lot of this depends on if 'eragon' has a preference on where they would like to work post-mba as it is noted that both of these schools will have heavy regional recruiting.
  [#permalink] 05 Mar 2007, 09:22