Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ding Analysis - Updated - Please help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Ding Analysis - Updated - Please help [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:08
Ok -

I had my essays reviewied by rhyme - thanks man
I thought my best interview was Duke
I went to duke for interview
My gmat is 670(Q:49,V:33,AWA:5.5)
My undergrad gpa - 3.95 from Melbourne, Australia (as translated by US school)
My gradyuate GPA - 3.9 from top 20 US school in Computer Science
Sold 5 years work experience, good career progression.
Avionics is my industry.
Nationality - INDIAN

My only thing I can feel is - maybe they had too many aerospace industry applicants...

My essays I thought were not as good as the Cornell ones.
And when I met the Cornell director, I told him I prefer Cornell over Duke. Now I dont know if they had a chat among themselves.

Thats all I can think.
Anyways this is totally f***ed.
Now I have to wait for June to get a f***n review. WTF? They want us to do everything.. And they cannot provide an instant feedback.

Please help..

UPDATE -
Ok I was hoping for admits here, but got two wait lists - any tips?
WL at Cornell
WL at London

Last edited by willget800 on 23 Mar 2007, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:17
WillGet - I am not sure what to say, but it sucks to get a ding. None of us can pretend to know exactly what goes on in the admissions office. At some point, some of this stuff is just so subjective; it's hard to judge what went "wrong."

I can't look at anything in your profile and say, "are you kidding??" Everything looks well in line - gpa, work experience, etc. GMAT isn't off the charts, but it's within the range.

I wish I could say something helpful, but the answer just isn't obvious. I think Cornell -- with RS saying he remembered you -- sounds really promising.

Chin up. March 23 isn't far away.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:20
aaudetat wrote:
WillGet - I am not sure what to say, but it sucks to get a ding. None of us can pretend to know exactly what goes on in the admissions office. At some point, some of this stuff is just so subjective; it's hard to judge what went "wrong."

I can't look at anything in your profile and say, "are you kidding??" Everything looks well in line - gpa, work experience, etc. GMAT isn't off the charts, but it's within the range.

I wish I could say something helpful, but the answer just isn't obvious. I think Cornell -- with RS saying he remembered you -- sounds really promising.

Chin up. March 23 isn't far away.


thanks aau... It is just so hard to chin up.. I really hope its not the gmat. because I dont have it to take it again and go through this experience. this year is it for me. If nothing happens, I am packing up from US, going back to India and opening a new business.. I guess I will lear business skills on the fly then..

I know I am sounding like the fox who does not get the grapes and then says they are sour anyway.. or what ever that story was..

but as of right now, I am so f***en down. Its like the person watching me from top has decided never to give me what I want
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:28
willget800 wrote:
I know I am sounding like the fox who does not get the grapes and then says they are sour anyway.. or what ever that story was..


Do foxes like grapes? I always thought it was the chicken carcass they were after. Must remember not to put grapes in the outside bin.

Sad news, willget. It'll ease, and you just have to wait. Are you applying straight after your Grad degree? That might be what worked against you.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:29
3underscore wrote:
willget800 wrote:
I know I am sounding like the fox who does not get the grapes and then says they are sour anyway.. or what ever that story was..


Do foxes like grapes? I always thought it was the chicken carcass they were after. Must remember not to put grapes in the outside bin.

Sad news, willget. It'll ease, and you just have to wait. Are you applying straight after your Grad degree? That might be what worked against you.


my grad degree i began f ull time, but then transferred it to part time.. i have worked f ull time for the last five years, and did my ms part time..

so i dont know man
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:32
dude we are in same boat.... what should be next step...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1550 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:40
Willget800,

You must realize by now that this whole process is subjective. You got an interview invite at Chicago GSB and at LBS - two very difficult programs. You got your interview at Cornell, a school that has seen (if rumours are true) massive increases in volume this year. You've made it through some of the most demanding parts of this entire process, and although I know that the ding stings, you, of all the people on this site, should know just how random the whole thing is.

This is just one application - you've got 3 more sitting out there and you've had interviews with ALL OF THEM. That says something about your candidacy I think - in of itself, it's an impressive feat. I realize that getting within 10 yards of the finish line doesnt mean anything unless you get to the finish line but things are still looking very good for you here - I honestly think you have a strong chance at your remaining schools.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but find consolation in the fact that a lot of other prestigious top schools have already indicated your candidacy is worth seriously considering - and that Duke's decision to ding you must therefore be purely based on some random element you could not have controlled.

I'm truly sorry to hear Duke didn't play out for you, but don't give up, please don't give up.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1550 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:40
gmat_crack wrote:
dude we are in same boat.... what should be next step...


Woah I havent seen you in months. How you been?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:41
willget,
I know it is hard but try not to take it personal. You did not get rejected because you are not good enough so a ding analysis will never give you the answer you seek. You are most likely rejected because of some factor that is out of your control - maybe they accepted someone less qualified but with a profile similar to yours in R1 or who knows.

...perhaps the prson watching you from up on top knows better what is good for you than you do. 10 years from now you'll be a self-made millionaire laughing at the rest of us that are still paying off our student loans
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:43
EconGirl wrote:
willget,
I know it is hard but try not to take it personal. You did not get rejected because you are not good enough so a ding analysis will never give you the answer you seek. You are most likely rejected because of some factor that is out of your control - maybe they accepted someone less qualified but with a profile similar to yours in R1 or who knows.

...perhaps the prson watching you from up on top knows better what is good for you than you do. 10 years from now you'll be a self-made millionaire laughing at the rest of us that are still paying off our student loans


I hope your wishes come true Econgirl. Appreciate it
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:47
Hey Willget800,
Chin up man... there's always the next school and the next year. I know you've put in a lot in this, but there is no predictability about this. Don't feel down because of one school.. you gave it your best. The rest is out of your control. So look forward to the next one.

Good luck/
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:51
rhyme wrote:
Willget800,

You must realize by now that this whole process is subjective. You got an interview invite at Chicago GSB and at LBS - two very difficult programs. You got your interview at Cornell, a school that has seen (if rumours are true) massive increases in volume this year. You've made it through some of the most demanding parts of this entire process, and although I know that the ding stings, you, of all the people on this site, should know just how random the whole thing is.

This is just one application - you've got 3 more sitting out there and you've had interviews with ALL OF THEM. That says something about your candidacy I think - in of itself, it's an impressive feat. I realize that getting within 10 yards of the finish line doesnt mean anything unless you get to the finish line but things are still looking very good for you here - I honestly think you have a strong chance at your remaining schools.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but find consolation in the fact that a lot of other prestigious top schools have already indicated your candidacy is worth seriously considering - and that Duke's decision to ding you must therefore be purely based on some random element you could not have controlled.

I'm truly sorry to hear Duke didn't play out for you, but don't give up, please don't give up.


my brain wants to listen what you say, but my heart is not accepting it man... i will try..
maybe a couple of jack and coke for lunch, and come back to work ;)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:52
haas_mba07 wrote:
Hey Willget800,
Chin up man... there's always the next school and the next year. I know you've put in a lot in this, but there is no predictability about this. Don't feel down because of one school.. you gave it your best. The rest is out of your control. So look forward to the next one.

Good luck/


thanks haas... i really have some place to talk openly here.. very helpful getting msgs here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 08:55
rhyme wrote:
gmat_crack wrote:
dude we are in same boat.... what should be next step...


Woah I havent seen you in months. How you been?


I am ok... now I need some advice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 09:01
willget800 wrote:
EconGirl wrote:
willget,
I know it is hard but try not to take it personal. You did not get rejected because you are not good enough so a ding analysis will never give you the answer you seek. You are most likely rejected because of some factor that is out of your control - maybe they accepted someone less qualified but with a profile similar to yours in R1 or who knows.

...perhaps the prson watching you from up on top knows better what is good for you than you do. 10 years from now you'll be a self-made millionaire laughing at the rest of us that are still paying off our student loans


I hope your wishes come true Econgirl. Appreciate it


EnconGirl, I love your comment! Especially "the person up there knows what is best for you than you do" you go GIRL!!!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1023
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 09:04
Just say f*** it and go out do something you enjoy. B-schools and GMATClub will be here when you get back. Warren Buffet got dinged by Harvard. He did all right.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 09:11
Willget,

Sorry about the situation you are in right now.

Believe me ...... the only thing you can do right now is believe in the what was said in GITA... about KARMA ..... it is our duty to do our stuff without expecting results in return.

I am not preaching buddy.....but having gone through the same situation in the last few months I know what you must be going through...

I got dinged from two schools where I probably thought I had the best chances Duke and UVA..... and to make matters worse UVA admitted two girls I know who are far less qualified than me .....

Anyhow.... I have always believed that whatever happens it is for the best... and that philosophy has never let me down.

We all are praying and hoping for the best for you.

All the best.... there is always light at the end of the tunnel
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1023
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 09:14
UVA has a tough time getting women to enroll. This is the inside scoop from a friend who is a FY. Something to consider if you are a woman and looking for school choices.

jaynayak wrote:
Willget,

Sorry about the situation you are in right now.

Believe me ...... the only thing you can do right now is believe in the what was said in GITA... about KARMA ..... it is our duty to do our stuff without expecting results in return.

I am not preaching buddy.....but having gone through the same situation in the last few months I know what you must be going through...

I got dinged from two schools where I probably thought I had the best chances Duke and UVA..... and to make matters worse UVA admitted two girls I know who are far less qualified than me .....

Anyhow.... I have always believed that whatever happens it is for the best... and that philosophy has never let me down.

We all are praying and hoping for the best for you.

All the best.... there is always light at the end of the tunnel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 09:16
lhotseface wrote:
Just say f*** it and go out do something you enjoy. B-schools and GMATClub will be here when you get back. Warren Buffet got dinged by Harvard. He did all right.


and we all know who did get in, he bacame a president or something :wink:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 18:14
sorry to hear this man, but dont give up yet...you still have 3 to go. Dont ever lose hope - all the best
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

  [#permalink] 08 Mar 2007, 18:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Ding analysis baltimore86 3 27 Mar 2013, 05:30
1 Ding Analysis GMATLA 0 01 May 2012, 07:22
Argument Analysis Please help to Evaluate chetanb 1 16 Aug 2010, 23:59
Please help to evaluate Analysis of Argument chetanb 1 15 Aug 2010, 23:18
1 Ding Analysis Ozmba 12 08 Mar 2007, 08:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ding Analysis - Updated - Please help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.