Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:10
So I'm one of the first Kellogg dings.

Do the early dings go to the least qualified candidates? Am I an "easy out" like in little league?

I'm curious because now I have to scramble to pick up a few R2 apps, and I'm wondering how far I should "drop down" to be competitive. Would an early ding at Kellogg just translate to a late ding at UCLA? Should I focus on Trans / Near elite schools as more realistic options?

Profile for anyone interested:

post534092.html#p534092

Any input would be appreciated. Best of luck to everyone still in the running for Kellogg.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:22
As you said, u r just being paranoid. Kellogg accepts and rejects people at random. Dont pay too much attention to that! Acc to me you should apply to a few more elite schools in R2.

Traffic never sleeps...

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 4

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:24
It's hard to tell from the information provided in your profile -- however I noticed you are interested in Entrepreneurship & Sustainability...have you taken a look at Berkeley Haas? I know they also prefer candidates with more work experience, as is your case.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:27
Lots of posts in other threads discussed how one got dinged from one school but got into another school of equal reputation.

Each school has different criteria and student body profile. (meaning different needs when it comes to building their incoming class)

Just be patient a little longer and I am sure you will hear some good news.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:31
a 3.9 and a 770? No way you are getting dinged from all these places. If you want to apply to more schools Id stay with the UCLA / Duke / Darden etc level, I can't see how say Texas would reject you.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 15:57
Check out the Ross thread. A guy there got invited to the "Super Saturday" interviews, being told he was "the cream of the crop of applicants". He also got an interview at Harvard.

However, Wharton didn't even think he was worth interviewing.

Don't let one schools decision worry you.

RF

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 16:45
I doubt you'll get dinged at Texas, and you should get some where at Cornell. The truth is, your grad GPA, while not necessarily a ranking metric, makes your profile a bit confusing - it begs of the question of can you handlge grad work. I'm sure you can, but when things are competitive, they start to look at the minutia. That's just the way I see it - not meant as a knock. Best of luck!
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78666

CAT Tests
Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 16:54
As hard as it may be to do, don't take the ding personally. The process is pretty convoluted since it is very dependent on the school and the characteristics the school is looking for once they get to your application. You're a great candidate, don't let the ding affect you - just keep chugging along, apply to some R2s, improve on your R1 applications, and don't lose hope. Good luck!

belfi wrote:
So I'm one of the first Kellogg dings.

Do the early dings go to the least qualified candidates? Am I an "easy out" like in little league?

I'm curious because now I have to scramble to pick up a few R2 apps, and I'm wondering how far I should "drop down" to be competitive. Would an early ding at Kellogg just translate to a late ding at UCLA? Should I focus on Trans / Near elite schools as more realistic options?

Profile for anyone interested:

p534092#p534092

Any input would be appreciated. Best of luck to everyone still in the running for Kellogg.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 17:04
jlola21 wrote:
As hard as it may be to do, don't take the ding personally. The process is pretty convoluted since it is very dependent on the school and the characteristics the school is looking for once they get to your application. You're a great candidate, don't let the ding affect you - just keep chugging along, apply to some R2s, improve on your R1 applications, and don't lose hope. Good luck!

That about sums it up. Based on the fact I didn't get an interview at Ross pretty much guarantees a ding. However, I had a good plan from the start and I need to just follow through no matter what that voice in the back of my head is saying.

Like jlola said, you can be very competitive at a school, but if the adcom doesn't think you'll "fit" (fit defined however they want), you likely won't get in. Of course, that has absolutely no bearing on how other schools will view you.

RF

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 19:06
Just looking at your stats here, but is it possible K dinged you because of yield concerns? I'm sure some schools reject applicants because they know that they're a backup choice. Just a guess here -- with the assumption that your essays/fit weren't the problem.
Re: Ding timing paranoia: Is an early ding a bad sign?   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2008, 19:06