Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: Let’s get the party started.
I’m here. I’m alive. I’m still on the waitlist at UCLA Anderson.

I don’t expect to get off it this late in the game, but I’m moving on!

I started a new job. I am now a Product Manager at one of the fastest growing travel startups in the country. I can’t tell you how intense it has been. I’m loving my job right now and it’s keeping me insanely busy. Hence the hiatus from blogging.

To anyone who still cares, yes, I will be reapplying this year. I’m still figuring out the details.

I probably won’t be able to blog as much as I’d like to thanks to work, but I’m still going to be around.

Hello to old friends and new! Let’s get this party started.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM The MBA Manual: My Interview with Cornell (Johnson)
My last interview took place at the Johnson School of Management at Cornell University.  Since it was my final interview, I had my answers to the general interview questions (“Tell me about yourself” “Why an MBA?” “Why now?” etc.) down cold, and only had to focus on answering the more specific questions regarding Johnson.

The interview was on the Cornell campus, which is obviously very beautiful, but also a bit intimidating.  A nice feature of the Johnson interview process is that they offer you the chance to sit in on a live MBA class and/or take a walking tour of the campus while there.  I opted for the class, which was very informative in terms of showing me what a typical class session would be like at the school.  If you interview at Cornell, I highly recommend taking advantage of this opportunity.

Anyway, let’s take a step back to my interview, which was actually before I sat in on the class.  The interview was one-on-one with an admissions officer, a friendly older woman, in a small, windowless breakout room.

The interview started out fairly easy, as I fielded the typical “Tell me about yourself” and “What are your career goals?”  This was followed by several behavioral interview questions, which, again, if you’re unfamiliar with, please follow this link and read up on.

It was at about this time that the woman started firing a few curveballs at me, including this question: “What is a weakness in your application?”  I referenced the obvious, my age and lack of full-time work experience, but made sure I showed how these factors also work in my favor, too.

For the rest of the interview, it seemed as if the woman kind of clung to that weakness response and factored it into other questions, which made answering them rather difficult for me.  For example, after she asked, “How can you contribute to Johnson?” and I answered, she followed up with, “…and how will you do that given your lack of experience?”  Despite the fact that I had already explained why I feel that I am prepared for and can benefit from business school at my age, she still kept coming back to that.  At one point, she told me that it might be better for me to rethink business school so early, even if I was admitted.  Obviously, this is a rather disheartening thing to hear mid-interview, as if it wasn’t stressful enough.

She also asked, “What have you done to explore possible career paths?”  After I told her about the research I’d done into jobs and companies and the internships I’d held, she asked if I had any dream company to work for.  I did and informed her of the company and my desired role, to which she responded with, “Have you reached out to anyone in that company to ask them if an MBA is necessary for that role?”  Admittedly, I had not, but I also already knew that an MBA was, in fact, necessary for the role.  I informed her of this but she did not seem pleased with the answer.

She then asked, “What other schools are you interviewing with?”  I told her I had already had interviews with Stanford and Yale and that seemed to make the rest of our exchange feel a bit awkward.

In retrospect, I understand why the interviewer was so focused on my age and seeing if I was truly ready for business school at Johnson, because the program does not have a special sub-program for students entering directly from undergrad.  I would be treated just the same as every other student, with no extra mentoring or opportunity for work during the program.  I definitely get why she decided to take the interview where she took it.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that it was definitely the hardest interview of the three schools I interviewed with.  I felt slightly on the defensive, always having to parry the blows of my interviewer’s questions and respond with an appropriate countermove.

All that aside, if you are interviewing for Cornell Johnson, I recommend practicing sample behavioral interview questions online, identifying a weakness in your application and assessing how you would properly (and positively) address it, reflecting on why you need and MBA NOW and how that fits into your career goals, and thinking about what you can contribute to Johnson.

EDIT:  For those asking, I was admitted to the Johnson School of Management at Cornell.

For more general tips on business school interviewing, check out my How to Prepare for B-school Interviews post or read about my interviews with Stanford and Yale.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: Normal people vs MBAs
Could this be any more accurate? 

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM MBA Data Guru: Yale MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis
Yale MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis

Yale School of Management, also known as YSOM, is a prestigious school located in New Haven, Connecticut. It is difficult to gain admission to Yale’s MBA program, similar to their undergraduate school. The YSOM class of 2016 has impressive statistics, with a median GMAT of 720 and median GPA of 3.56. Only 22% of applicants who apply to Yale will be accepted.

Yale MBA Acceptance Rate by GMAT

Similar to all other schools, a high GMAT score will increase your chance of being admitted to Yale. Although the average GMAT score for the class of 2016 is 720, the average score for applicants is 7 points lower at 713. The GMAT range of the middle 80% of Yale MBA students is 680 to 760. However, the difference in acceptance rate for the bottom of that range is substantially lower than the top. An applicant with a 760 is more than three times more likely to be admitted than an applicant with a 680.

Yale MBA Acceptance Rate by GPA

A high GPA also raises the acceptance rate at Yale. The middle 80% students in the class of 2016 have a GPA between 3.17 and 3.87. An applicants with 3.87 is surprisingly only 50% more likely to be admitted than one with a 3.17. Even a perfect 4.0 only raises Yale MBA acceptance rate to 32%.

Yale MBA Acceptance Rate: GMAT vs. GPA

The chart above shows that GMAT is more important for admission to Yale than GPA. A high GPA will only increase acceptance rate by 4%, while a high GMAT results in a 10% higher chance of being admitted.* If you have a low GPA and a high GMAT, Yale is a great school to consider. For example, an applicant with a 3.0 and a 770 has a 34% chance of admission.

Yale MBA Acceptance Rate by Application Round

When applying to Yale, it does not matter whether you apply during the first or second round. However, applying in the third round is a huge disadvantage. Your chance of admission is less than half as likely compared to the first two rounds, so be proactive and submit your app early.

Other Admissions Factors
Indian applicants are at a significant disadvantage at Yale, with only a 6% acceptance rate. On the other hand, Yale seems to really like applicants with experience working for consumer packaged goods companies. Their acceptance rate is shockingly high, almost three times higher than average.

*A high score is defined as one standard deviation higher than average.

MBA Data Guru - MBA admissions data and analytics critical for business school applications
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [5]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM The MBA Manual: Motivation
During your run of the business school application gamut, you will probably at some point wonder why you’re putting yourself through all of it.  You’re going to study for 6 months or more, write and rewrite countless essays, and bust your butt day in and day out in order to perfect your application, and for what?  For a shot at getting into the business school that you want to attend?  What if it doesn’t work out?  What if it’s all for nothing?

Thoughts like these definitely plagued my mind throughout the whole application process, and they are very much normal.  However, the key is to not succumb to these thoughts, and sometimes that means employing some outside sources for motivation.  Here are some of the things that helped me.

Videos: 

How Bad Do You Want It (Success)?

This video is my all-time favorite motivational video.  Everybody wants to succeed, but some want it more than others.  In order to succeed, you need to make some sacrifices.  How badly do you want it?

[youtube2]div>
Shi[/youtube2]

Songs:

First, I feel the need to mention that I am a huge hip-hop/rap fan, so if that’s not really your style, perhaps you should skip ahead, because this list is very hip-hop/rap heavy.  With that being said, here are some songs that kept me going during the applications process.

• Airplanes Pt. 2 – B.O.B feat. Eminem and Haley Williams
    • This song, particularly Eminem’s verse, plays with the idea of “what if?”  As in, what would have happened if I hadn’t worked as hard, hadn’t given it my all, etc.  A great song for keeping you on course.
  • Ten Thousand Hours – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
    • Based off of Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hour rule, this song stresses the importance of hard work in pursuing your dreams.
  • 8 Mile – Eminem
    • A great “something from nothing” come-up song.  How far have you needed to come to “make it?”
  • Power – Kanye West
    • Ever since I saw the movie The Social Network, I have associated this song with those who want to change the world.  This is a great pump-up song in that regard.
  • Now or Never -Kendrick Lamar feat. Mary J. Blige
    • This is another great song about following your dreams and the elation that follows from reaching them.  A great song to play while picturing how sweet the fruits of your application labor will taste.
  • Till I Collapse – Eminem
    • THE original hype song.  If this song doesn’t make you want to go out and take over the world, I don’t know what will.

Other Sources of Motivation:

• Picture yourself getting the acceptance letter from your dream business school.  Picture yourself attending that school, being able to wear the school’s colors, telling people you’re going to school X.  That feeling is possible.  All of that is possible.  You just need to keep working.
  • Think about the future.  Think about what an MBA at a top b-school will do for your future job prospects, for your future (or current) family’s financial security, for your overall quality of life.  Yeah, reading over flashcards for an hour each night might suck now, but you’ll quickly forget about that once you’ve gotten the rewards that diligently working on each aspect your application provides.

The whole MBA process is daunting.  It’s time-intensive, mentally draining, and sometimes frustrating.  However, speaking as someone who got into their dream business school, I can assure you that it is all worth it in the end.  So, watch one of those videos, play one of the songs, or think one of those thoughts and keep chugging.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Financing my MBA…
I promised to write this a long time ago and I have been meaning to. But you know what they say about the best laid plans of men and mice. Anyway, here it is – at long last :) When I got my offer from Booth, it didn’t come with any fellowship. Which meant that […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Updates and Headaches
Its been a while :) In the period since my last post (sans the financing my MBA post), I have resigned my job, obtained my visa, booked my flight home (I’ve got some free time to spend with the family) booked my flight to Chicago and finalized my living arrangements. I’m going to give a brief […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM My Journey to Business School: Discovering the many faces of innovation
An interesting blog by Ahalya Vijay (a fellow MMM) summarizing a recent class trip to Doblin.  I couldn’t attend the event because of a twisted ankle! :(

Read on about the awesomeness you get to experience as a MMM student at Kellogg – Discovering the many faces of innovation.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Ticket to ride
It’s been a while since I updated my blog. Sorry for that but I’ve been kinda busy packing up ready for this whole MBA thing :) I’ve been getting a lot of inquiries from folks starting out on their application journey (or thinking about it) and I hope I’ve given some food for thought to the […]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
FROM The MBA Manual: Choosing Where to Apply to Business School
rh801:
Here is a great post by my friend David, who is now at HBS, about how to choose where to apply to b-school.

Originally posted on HBS Accept:

There are two separate decisions you will need to make during your application process.  Where should you apply?  Where do you want to go?  You will struggle to differentiate between these two questions at some point.  Just trying to get into “somewhere” and confirmation bias could influence you.  Use this simple rule to separate these two questions:  where you want to go is agnostic of your chances of getting in, where you should apply is not.  If you are not sure you want to go to business school, are willing to wait a year if you do not get into your top choice(s), or are unwilling to go to a runner-up choice, your list of schools can be the same for both questions (“Flexible Applicant”).  If you are sure you want to business school next year, you definitely need to consider your chances of getting in when deciding where to…

View original 683 more words

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM