Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V42
GPA: 3.79
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM MBAble: Why I gave up on the GMAT
I spent a good chunk of yesterday binge-watching installments of “Handicapping Your MBA Odds” that John Byrne from Poets and Quants and Sandy Kreisberg with HBS Guru host (side note: it’s a nice series to watch to get some directional insight on a diverse selection of aspiring MBA’s and where their profiles may put them in top B-school candidate pools).

One recurring theme I found in their discussions is that if you want strong positioning for the cream-of-the-crop programs (e.g. Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, etc.), a score in the low 700s isn’t enough. In fact, you would ideally want to target at least a 730 score with extra weight on the quant section.

And yet, here I am. Someone who couldn’t even break the 700 threshold on the GMAT and is an aspiring Boothie (albeit for the part-time program, which is a completely different ball game from full-time admissions).

At some point after I took my fourth GMAT, I heard a wise AdCom member for a top MBA program say that if you’ve taken the GMAT three or four times already and your score hasn’t changed much, then it’s time to lay that part of your application to rest and focus on getting the rest of it done.

This made a lot of sense to me. I mean, just look at my GMAT history:

Year

Score

Notes

December 2013
Blech! Unspeakable.

November 2014
After Manhattan GMAT prep course.

December 2014
No change in V. Boost in Q.

December 2015
No change in Q. 96th percentile in V.

Over the course of 2 years and $1,000 in fees, I finished with a mediocre GMAT score that, as some form of consolation, put me on the low end of the middle 80% of scores for my desired program.

What really influenced me to stop trying was that I was hitting some diminishing returns in my studying efforts. Between exams, I took plenty of practice tests as a diagnostic tool and saw that by mid-2015, I was plateauing at the 670-700 range. That said, it was no surprise to me that I scored how I did in my last test…but it was still super disappointing.

But when I look back to conversations with admissions at Booth, I didn’t really have a reason to be as down as I was on myself. After my December 2014 GMAT, I voiced my concerns to the previous admissions rep, and she said I could retake if I wanted to but that I should still give an application a shot. Needless to say, I didn’t have the confidence then to move forward.

A year later, I was on the phone with the new admissions rep, this time about my 660. Similarly, he reinforced that Booth reviews applications holistically and that my score was not necessarily in itself a deal breaker. Five months later, I’m just waiting to hear back.

Nevertheless, as MBA applicants, it’s drilled into our heads that we need to cover for our weaknesses, so I decided to shift my attention toward beefing up my “alternative transcript.” More on the latter for a later post.

Hopefully I can look back on this post and smile since I got in. Or at the very least, maybe it can serve is some sort of catharsis for you that there are lower GMAT scores that yours in the MBA application universe.

Cheers!

Durian

P.S. In all likelihood, I will be taking the GMAT again sometime later this year if my Fall 2016 cycle applications don’t plan out. Hehe. (added 5/26)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM MBAble: Another App In
Yes, I am happy to report today that as of last night, I have cranked out and submitted my fourth application in a month!

Except, it wasn’t an MBA or grad school application.

Yesterday, I sent in package to apply for the Sundance New Voices YouTube Lab (part of Sundance’s episodic storytelling institute). I had been eyeing sending an application in for Sundance for a long time. In fact since 2014, I’ve been thinking about applying for their Asian-American Feature Film Fellowship, but I never thought I had substantive enough work to send through for consideration — I actually still feel that way.

Even this time around, it took a lot of convincing and aggressive talking-myself-into-applying to take action. Good news for me that Sundance kept extending the deadline from March 27 at 6 p.m. PST to April 25 at 6 p.m. PST to May 25 6 p.m. PST before bumping that up to 11:59 p.m.

What It Took
From the moment I found out about the opportunity to the day I decided to crack down on applying, my mind bounced around like a pinball between reviving an old idea or draft to writing something completely new to just not applying at all. For extended periods of time, I seriously considered sticking with the third option but managed to successfully talk myself out of that when I realized I had no choice.

Or at least, no choice was what I deserved to give myself.

I had pretty much put my creative writing on hold 2009-2014. That’s FIVE YEARS. Five years too many.

After wowing myself with substantial workings of a manuscript in November 2014, I became hungry for more. I tried to write full-time April 2015-July 2015 — July being when I went back to the full-time working world because I thought that’s what I wanted.

But then that last workplace and I mutually realized this past March that it wasn’t.

And so here I am. Treating writing like it’s the only thing I can do. This way, I can either get the urge out of my system faster or realize this is my grand old calling in life.

What about the MBA?
I still believe that an MBA has a place in my life.

In writing classes, I have found that many of my peers who are writers by trade and training are amazed by how the “9-5 Corporate American” lens I am able to view the world by is able to bleed its way into my writing. That said, I think that the business perspective is important to represent in fictional writing even in all its mundane-ness because it’s real.

Not to mention, the demands to getting work as an independent creative these days calls upon functional knowledge of managing a brand. But that’s a topic that deserves greater focus for another post. Not to mention I’ll be talking more about creatives with professional degrees tomorrow.

So that’s that. Just thought I’d share.

Cheers!

Durian

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM MBAble: Creative Types and the MBA (and other professional degrees)
Last year when I attended a session of Chicago’s Booth Live, I felt pretty out of place. I was surrounded by professionals from all over the world from major corporations, big banks, leading consulting firms, and the like.

Then there was me. A newly “unemployed” member of society, who was spending most of her time working on pitching a sci-fi novel and informally consulting with start-ups (did I mention all of that unpaid?). So this is how I introduced myself:

“Hi, I’m Durian. I’m pitching a novel, doing a little work with start-ups. I want to get an MBA to help me get into HR.”

Yet where I was professionally at the time made me feel extremely insecure. I even asked myself, “What’s the point in even trying for a Booth MBA if the school won’t even want me?”

So to get the proverbial sign I was hoping for, I asked an admissions rep what AdCom thought of candidates like me, who chose being heads down in creative work in favor of holding down a standard 9-to-5.

“Actually,” he tells me, “we have a musician enrolled right now who took a break from touring to get an MBA.”

I know this is nothing particularly new or that unusual—I mean, take a look at Pete Mathias and Johnny Mathias from Filligar, who are both wrapping up their time at Tuck. But hearing straight from the horse’s mouth that I still stood a chance was just the dose of hope I needed to keep going.

Professional Degrees and Creative Work
Being a Russian literature geek, I’m no stranger to people who have continued to do or have gone on to do creative work after getting an unrelated professional degree. Anton Chekhov and Mikhail Bulgakov are best known for being prominent Russian writers around the time of the revolution, but were also practicing physicians.

In a more recent example, take Neal Baer. He is a pediatrician and also a Hollywood TV writer, producer and showrunner. He is probably best known for his credits in “ER” and “Under the Dome.”

For the three, their medical backgrounds were apparent in their works.

Chekhov was known to have physician characters in his stories and demonstrated a doctor’s sensibility in the discussion of characters’ conditions. Bulgakov documented (with creative liberties) his experiences treating venereal disease in his early days practicing that were later compiled and published as A Country Doctor’s Notebook. And there’s no way that Baer’s perspective from on-the-job didn’t make its way into his “ER” writing.

But what about MBA’s?
I’ll focus on Booth people since I’m an aspiring Boothie, you know that. I stumbled across a couple of articles, one about an author and one about an artist, who each got their MBA’s at Booth. Oh, did I mention they are both women? Woohoo!

The author is Sara Paretsky. She is best known for writing detective fiction, particularly her series with a norm-defying female sleuth lead. In an article from Booth Magazine, she talks about how an MBA was beneficial to her in ways such as:

• Keeping in mind the audience for whom she was writing
  • Having the business competencies needed to build and grow her brand as an author
  • Being disciplined and adaptable to take on the writing life
The artist is Meenakshi Dash. She is a graduate of the evening program and is one of the rare part-time MBA-ers I’ve encountered that also studied abroad. Nowadays, she’s continuing to make art and brought together her artistic and business side with her venture that marries art with branding, bal’der-dăsh.

Both of those former Boothies demonstrate their business acumen through the way to go about their artistic pursuits, whether it’s in the way they do business or as a perspective that makes its way into their works.

So for me…
I can definitely see an MBA being of great service as I build my brand as a writer.

Also down the road, I want to work on a non-profit venture that brings together leading authors/writers/content creators to teach free master classes to underprivileged youth with a passion for storytelling.

And as I mentioned in yesterday’s post, as someone with a corporate background, I do find that my experiences in the business world make their way into my writing. Heck, a marketing internship is central to the manuscript I’m pitching around, in a similar way that architecture is a central component of architect Charles Belfoure’s The Paris Architect.

It is also very likely that I’ll pick back up on the 9-5 work and continue to write on the side. So, MBA, please help me there…

Cheers!

Durian

(depicted: my screenwriting, songwriting, fashion drawing, and GMAT prepping endeavors)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
FROM Tech MBA Girl: Final Decisions – New Direction
Final decisions are in: Berkeley: Denied with interview Tepper: Waitlisted with interview Rotman: Admitted with scholarship (withdrawn) Random French School: Admitted to MSc in Management with scholarship (matriculating…maybe) It’s been eight months since I started my MBA admissions journey and I’ve learnt so much thus far. I am glad I tried for schools beyond my … Continue reading Final Decisions – New Direction →
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM MBAble: Taking a B-School Class as a Non-MBA Student
For the last few days, I’ve had my head down at my computer, cranking out my share of a group paper that will be submitted as each member’s final graded assignment for a class I’m taking at Booth School of Business.

It’s worth noting that I’m not an MBA student there…yet.

I’m one of those MBA applicants who embarked on assembling an alternative transcript for their application package.

In my case, my problem wasn’t so much that my undergraduate GPA was inadequate. On the contrary, my low GMAT score (weighed down by the quant section; check my blog’s right rail) was the problem. After having figured that out mid-last year, I hunkered down to figure out what I could do to mitigate this weakness.

One of my first moves was to take a calculus class at my local community college because despite being a stereotypical Asian (I’m Filipino) being an economics major in undergrad, I was able to successfully circumvent having to take that class. This is a red flag for a top MBA application when you think about how a fundamental course like microeconomics comes with a prerequisite of having a working knowledge of calculus. So beginning last May I found myself grinding my way through derivatives and integrals for eight intense weeks in Calculus I, and I somehow made it out alive with a B in the class.

I also applied for the University of Chicago Graham School’s Graduate Student-at-Large program (NOTE: for MBA seekers, GSALB may be more appropriate for you — I have some wide-ranging academic interests and wanted flexibility to take coursework across colleges, which is why I did plain old GSAL). With me being me, I stalled until the last reasonable quarter I could take a class to be considered for my Fall 2016 application at Booth (in my defense, I went through some serious job transitions for much of last year), which is how I ended up enrolled in a class this spring.

I won’t say the name of my class, but it’s a soft-skills/organizational behavior type of course. Now typically, prospective MBA students are advised to choose a quant-heavy class under the fundamentals umbrella (think statistics, economics, accounting, etc.). BUT after reading a syllabus for the class I’m currently taking, I knew that 1) it posed a reasonable challenge and 2) I could pick up some useful skills I could quickly take action on in my professional life — honestly, even my personal life.

While I’m pretty sure my calculus class will help my case, I do find it doubtful that the soft-skills class will give me that many brownie points as AdCom considers my application. However, I have been contacted by Booth admissions in which they stated that they need to see my final grade in the class before closing my file and delivering a final decision for the coming school year.

Pretty much all of me believes that the follow-up just speaks to a technicality (i.e. AdCom cannot physically push the button in the application management system UI to send a final decision until a transcript with the grade is received and attached).  Nevertheless, I still see a glimmer of hope that a “yes” may be just around the corner.

Cheers!

Durian

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q33 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q41 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM FINAL HOUR MBA: Leaving the Doldrums
This is more of a personal post. But it’s needed to get me back to blogging about the MBA journey. I am finally writing about the one thing that’s been on my mind since submitting my applications. I couldn’t put a finger on it until today.

Since I hit submit on my las application I’ve been in this sort of frozen zone. I couldn’t move, couldn’t think, couldn’t make a plan for the future. I called it the doldrums because it reminded me of something I read many years ago. A vivid scene in a book where the main character was stuck in a similar place as me. Thanks to the modern technology that is Google I was able to put a name to the book. It’s The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. As a child I don’t think I really caught on to the main themes of this book. I’ll probably reread it at some point since I am going back to school. It might be a good break from management thoughts and theory. But enough about the book.

The struggle is real. People will often talk about the stress of applications. Sure the GMAT is tough and writing those essays takes a lot of thought. But the worst part is the waiting game. Especially if you get stuck on the waitlist. You begin to ask yourself if you did enough. Did I write a strong essay? Were my interviews on point? What could I improve? Why don’t they like me?? Hopefully someone writes a blog post on how MBA admissions is like dating. Are first impressions truly everything?

Even though I was rejected from most of the schools I applied to I am still in the same place. I have been accepted to Notre Dame, a great MBA program. I was waitlisted at Carnegie Mellon, Texas, and USC. Each of these schools have more to offer me than Notre Dame (or so I think) since my post-MBA plans involve tech and startups and coming back to the Bay Area. It feels like I can’t do anything or even talk to people until I know for sure where I am going. Sitting on the waitlist continues the journey through the Doldrums.

I have decided to force myself out of waiting. Self-doubt does nothing for the situation. It’s not a good trait for MBAs so I am eliminating it. Hopefully someone can apply this mindset for whatever their situation may be.

The school decisions are pretty much out of my hands. I did my best and followed up They know I want them and they need me. There are a lot of things to do prior to my MBA that I can focus on. I want to work on my social media presence. I also want to work on coding/PM/app development. I will hopefully have a mobile app put together and published before I leave for school in early August. Last but not least I want to keep exercising, networking, and practicing my communication skills. These, more than anything will help me succeed in business school and beyond. First impressions are very important after all.

The takeaway is that you are not stuck. There is a plenty to work on. Just start with one simple step. In my case it was a blog post. Yours may be a trip to the beach or finally going to that Meetup you’ve had your eyes on for months.

Best of luck!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: INSEAD Acceptance Rate
INSEAD Acceptance Rate

This article will analyze the model I built to predict INSEAD acceptance rate. INSEAD is a graduate business school in France, near Paris. It has two additional campuses in Singapore and Abu Dhabi. In addition to the MBA program, INSEAD also has an Executive MBA, Masters in Finance and a PHD in Management. Unlike most business schools in the US, INSEAD’s full-time program only offers a 1-year MBA. INSEAD students can either start in September or January. The January start is a 12-month program for students who would like to do an internship. The September start is a 10-month program. INSEAD prides itself on being a global business school, thus, it requires applicants to speak two languages fluently before being admitted. In order for a student to graduate, they must speak three languages. On average, INSEAD MBA acceptance rate is 31%. The average GMAT is 703 and the average GPA is 3.5.

INSEAD Acceptance Rate by Starting Semester

Similar to Columbia, INSEAD has two start options. Since many MBAs are hoping to use their MBA to transition into a new industry, there is much more competition for the January start because it allows for an internship during the summer. Since fewer people apply for the September starting semester, their chance of admission is 70% higher than that of the January applicants. September INSEAD applicants have a 39% acceptance rate compared to only 23% for January applicants.

INSEAD Acceptance Rate by GMAT

GMAT has a large impact on an applicant’s chance of admission at INSEAD. It is especially important for those applying for January. A 100-point increase from 650 to 750 would raise January acceptance rate from 12% to 37%, which is a 208% increase in chance of admission. A similar increase in GMAT for a September applicant would only increase chance of admission by 140%.

INSEAD Acceptance Rate by GPA

A high GPA can increase your odds of getting into INSEAD. Both start semesters get a healthy boost in chance of admission from a high GPA. Interestingly, a January applicant with a 4.0 has a similar acceptance rate, at 30%, as a September applicant with a 3.0.

INSEAD Acceptance Rate: GMAT vs. GPA

Although both GMAT and GPA are both important for admission into INSEAD, GMAT is more important. Getting a high GPA (one standard deviation above average) will increase chance of admission 5%. However, a high GMAT will increase your chance of admission by 13%.

INSEAD Acceptance Rate by Geography

Citizenship has a significant impact on INSEAD acceptance rate. Indian applicants face tough competition for a spot as an MBA student at INSEAD. Indian applicants have an acceptance rate of only 12%. Admission to INSEAD is much easier for Americans, with an average acceptance rate of 31%. No other country had enough applicants to be statistically significant, so I grouped all other countries into the category of “International”, which had an acceptance rate of 49%.

The data I used to create the INSEAD model came from GMAT Club.

MBA Data Guru - Business school admissions data and analysis
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
FROM BschoolEng: GRE vs GMAT
My last blog post highlights my experience taking both the GRE and the GMAT. I would advise people who feel like they didn’t do well or at least meet their expectations on one test to try the other.

Each test tests different skill sets of an individual. I’m assuming that you are here because you are interested in applying to bschool and the first test that you would probably think of is the GMAT, the more commonly used of the two when applying.

For me, the quantitative was not the hard part. It was the verbal so when comparing the two tests, I looked at which one catered more towards my strengths. Whereas the GMAT has a critical reasoning section, the GRE has vocabulary. I knew memorization was not an issue for me so this fact alone was the sole reason why I decided to take the GRE. If you commit yourself to studying a set of vocabulary words every single day, you’ll do just fine. My studying plan to conquering this was simple:

• Read a chapter of Word Power Made Easy every single day, writing down the words by hand onto a sheet of paper. After every three chapters, I would spend the next two days memorizing and reciting the 100+ words over and over again. For chapters 4 – 6, you would do the same but now you would have to memorize the 100+ from the first three chapters on top of the words from the next three chapters.
  • This one book alone can cover most of the words presented on the GRE and if not, at least you give the prefix, suffix, etymology of root words to infer what certain words may mean.
Doing this was super helpful because not only does it help with the vocabulary section but makes the reading comprehension portion much easier as well. It is within the reading comprehension that the GRE also tests vocab so essentially you’re killing two birds with one stone. To this day, I still remember some of these words and will throw them in when sendings emails to sound a little bit smarter :)

As far as the math section goes, the downside to taking the GRE is that it is somewhat expected to get a perfect score. Because there are so many international students taking the GRE and you’re competing against them when it comes to calculating the percentile, anything short of a perfect score will bring it down. The one thing I recommend when it comes to tackling the quantitative section is to take your time. The GRE math section is highly prone to stupid mistakes.

The strategy I would implore you to take is to go through each problem and if after reading the prompt you’re stumped for more than 5 seconds, put a marker on it via the ETS tool and move on.

As far as the AWA goes, what I did was memorize (yay for memorization) the general structure of how I wanted to structure my essay. I had a generic opening paragraph, the opening lines for the following two paragraphs that would support my argument, and a generic closing paragraph that can easily be adapted for any use case. I then would familiarize myself with 4-5 high level themes, know the ins and outs of each theme such that I can speak to those issues. Your themes should also come from disparate sources. For instance, I chose a novel as one, global warming as another, virtual reality as a third and the women’s suffrage movement as another. You want to choose a range of topics such that you can cover any question they throw at you.

More and more business schools are starting to accept the GRE so you shouldn’t be scared to take it. I will admit that there is still a little bit of unease when I think about possibly being dinged by bschool adcoms for being different from other people but in reality, what the admission committee is looking for is just a general sense of your general aptitude, albeit not a very good indicator. If you score say a 720+ on either the GMAT or the GRE, that should be good enough. I don’t think a 720 on a GRE vs a 730 on the GMAT is going to be the deciding factor between getting into the business school of your choice. It’s simply a checkmark on the list of things that the committee is looking for and if you are above a certain threshold, regardless of the test you take, you should do just fine.

Just find the test that works in favor of your skillset and go for it. If you’ve tried one and you didn’t do so well, try the other. If anything you might get some smarter sounding emails out of it?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM BschoolEng: Deciding between schools
When I think about business school, I think there is no better time for me to apply than now. Having worked at Google for the past 3 years (will be 4 years by the time business school starts next fall), I believe the time is now.

Now the question is which schools to apply and for which rounds? Many people may question as to why I am preparing so many months in advance but when I think about it, there’s really not that much time remaining.

Brief timeline:

• June  – speak to alumni, make college campus visits, research the schools
  • June / July – draft essays for round 1 schools
  • July – get / source recommendations (allocate at least 1.5 month’s time for recommenders to write their letters)
  • Aug – wrap up resume, final editing of essays
You want to feel comfortable by the end of Aug, early September that your package is complete and not going through the stress of scrambling around to try and tidy things up.

As far as the timeline is concerned, since it’s June, let’s talk about point number 1.

Initially, I had started with 14 schools on my list (in no particular order):

• Harvard
  • Stanford
  • U Penn
  • MIT
  • U of Chicago
  • Northwestern
  • Columbia
  • UC Berkeley
  • Duke
  • Yale
  • Insead
  • CEIBS
  • UCLA
  • NYU
After speaking to various alumni from some of the schools, I soon narrowed it down to 6 (maybe 7).

• Harvard
  • Stanford
  • U Penn
  • MIT
  • U of Chicago
  • Northwestern
  • Columbia (Maybes) – This school is a maybe because of ranking and if it would justify the cost of a getting an MBA. Columbia being in the center of NY, heavily prepares its graduates towards the finance sector. The one factor that has me on the fence is the fact that it is in NY and I know that I will have an extremely fun time there. The other half of me is thinking that if I do get into any of the above 6 schools that I will be close enough to NY where I can visit.
  • UC Berkeley – I already have the connection and network with UC Berkeley faculty and alumni given both my BS and MS from that school. Plus, I have lived in the Bay Area all my life (San Jose to Berkeley to San Francisco) and would like to live in another part of the country for a change…except if it was for Stanford!
  • Duke – Ranking doesn’t justify the cost of getting an MBA there.
  • Yale – Ranking doesn’t justify the cost of getting an MBA there.
  • Insead  I actually really wanted to apply to an international school but the one thing stopping me from applying to Insead is the fact that it is a 1 year program. Despite Insead being the # 1 business school globally according to financial times, the 1 year program is most suitable for those people that know what they want to do coming out. More specifically for people who are going to return to the industry they came from, hence why Insead “produces” so many MBB consultants is because a lot of consultants return back to their industry after 1 year. The 2 year US bschools allow for students to go on summer internships where they can explore the various industries and practices that one may not necessarily be able to try through a 1 year program. On top of that, if you plan on working in the states post MBA, having a degree from the US will carry more weight. If you know that you want to work internationally sometime in the future, a degree from Insead would definitely be valued, especially in Europe.
  • CEIBS – My parents wanted me to work in China and brought up the idea that I should attend bschool there. Given that I can speak both Mandarin and English, having an MBA from CEIBS would give me the upper hand when it comes to doing business in China. The reason I ended up deciding not to apply was the quality of education compared to a US MBA from the 6 that I have chosen (that is if I can get in). From the preliminary research that I have done, not all professors are fluent in English and what is taught in framed from the perspective of the Chinese economy. In addition, the salary that you come out with is based according to China’s living standard which will be lower than the salary post MBA in the US.
  • UCLA– Ranking doesn’t justify the cost of getting an MBA there.
  • NYU – Ranking doesn’t justify the cost of getting an MBA there.
An important note that an HBS alumni recently told me was the following, when deciding whether or not you want to get an MBA, imagine yourself being accepted to all the schools you apply? Would you instantly go? Would there be any hesitation in accepting the offer?

I will admit that initially my perception of an MBA was that it was a necessity, no matter the circumstance, I would be willing to pay the $200K for an extra line on my resume. However, the more I have thought about the essay prompts and where I see myself in the next 5 – 10 years of my life, I do find value in the connections, personal development, and interpersonal skills that I can get out of the business schools I narrowed down to. I would highly recommend you reach out to the alumni of the schools you are interested in or even thinking about. There’s no harm in trying and you have nothing to lose, what you’ll come to realize after these chats is that each school has so much to offer that extends beyond what is laid out on their website.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM BschoolEng: Researching Schools
In my last post, I spoke about the importance of doing research as to which school is the best fit for you. This entails visiting the campus (if you have the chance), sitting in one of the classes, or reaching out to alumni or current students to get their perspective.

Since it is currently during the summer, it may be harder for you to sit in on a class but there are a whole host of admission events / informational sessions run throughout the year that you can attend.

Imagine for a second you were on the admissions committee reading the ‘Why do you want to attend X business school’ essay written by two candidates. One vaguely brings up generic facts about the school easily found on the school’s website vs another who in detail describes an event he/she attended and poignantly recalls an incident or statement that a faculty member had made. Who do you think will have a much more compelling essay as to why school X is a better fit? That is not to say you should name drop everywhere but the more connections and incidents you can relate to, the more the reader can truly believe that you are the type of candidate that they want and not the other way around.

If you were strapped for time and visiting schools was a far stretch, the one thing I would highly recommend doing would be to talk to as many current students or recent graduates as you can. If cold emailing is not your thing, one tip I have is to scour LinkedIn looking for students who have either graduated from your alma mater or have worked/are currently working at the same company as you are. This gives you an immediate connection with the person you are speaking to and reduces the barrier and awkwardness that may seem inherent when reaching out.

Listening to students’ perspectives have not only been instrumental in me choosing which schools to apply but have also gotten me quite excited about the opportunities that business school provides.

Here are a rough set of questions that I prepare before any chat:

• Why did you choose to go back to school and why at that time?
  • Why did you choose this school in particular? What was your career goal at the time of applying and has it changed since?
  • Do you have a favorite memory from your time in business school? Any favorite classes?
  • Are there opportunities to participate in classes outside the business school? Did you attend any such classes?
  • How have the skills you learned translated to your current role?
  • What do you love about the city the school is in? What does an average Fri night look like?
  • Any advice you would give to someone applying?
Don’t be afraid to reach out! The students are more than gladly to take the time to answer your questions as long as you are sincere and prepare questions ahead of time. I hope with these tips that you’ll come out not only knowing more about the school but more about yourself as well.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Send PM
Kudos