Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

disable "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply...?"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

disable "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply...?" [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 02:59
Is it possible to choose whether to enable or disable this setting? "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply notifications for this topic until you visit the discussion." If not, there should be a way to do so. I prefer to continue getting emails without having to visit the site. Gmail batches them nicely and its annoying to go onto the site every time.

my suspicions are this is less of a "spam reduction" mechanism and more of a function of the revenue model... cant lose all those visitors to a site that gets ad based revenues.. if im right, which is respectable and fine - call it what is. maybe allow in-email advertising. that solves both problems instead of forcing people back onto the site each time
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9431 [1] , given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: disable "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply...?" [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is nothing to do with revenue model or anything like that. That's shortsighted.
All forums are pretty much built that way (which allows members who fall off and no longer visit to not be bombarded with email). E.g. recent Ross discussion received 91 replies in one day.

We have done a few things to add value, however:
1. We provide the text of the post in the message that is sent to you (both new messages, replies, and PM's) - we had to invest into this feature and develop it ourselves. Per your suggestion this would technically decrease the number of visitors clicking from email.
2. We have created an override to that for some moderators who are interested in receiving all emails regardless of the one-email native limit. We turned it on for all mods by default but had to turn it off since it was sending them way too much email.

Finally, we do have to watch how much email we send - it is a sensitive issue as half our users use gmail and we don't want to flood their system every time someone replies in a multi-thousand "Calling all Applicants" threads - just imagine thousands of messages going out every time someone replies... and now multiply that times the number of members we have: 240,000. You get some astronomical figures.

Anyway, I have enabled the feature so you will get every reply for EVERY thread you are subscribed to. Let me know when you are overwhelmed :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: disable "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply...?" [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 07:35
bb wrote:
There is nothing to do with revenue model or anything like that. That's shortsighted.
All forums are pretty much built that way (which allows members who fall off and no longer visit to not be bombarded with email). E.g. recent Ross discussion received 91 replies in one day.

We have done a few things to add value, however:
1. We provide the text of the post in the message that is sent to you (both new messages, replies, and PM's) - we had to invest into this feature and develop it ourselves. Per your suggestion this would technically decrease the number of visitors clicking from email.
2. We have created an override to that for some moderators who are interested in receiving all emails regardless of the one-email native limit. We turned it on for all mods by default but had to turn it off since it was sending them way too much email.

Finally, we do have to watch how much email we send - it is a sensitive issue as half our users use gmail and we don't want to flood their system every time someone replies in a multi-thousand "Calling all Applicants" threads - just imagine thousands of messages going out every time someone replies... and now multiply that times the number of members we have: 240,000. You get some astronomical figures.

Anyway, I have enabled the feature so you will get every reply for EVERY thread you are subscribed to. Let me know when you are overwhelmed :-)

Great service! Thanks. When I start unsubscribing you'll know I've exhausted my reading capacity! Thanks again.
Re: disable "To reduce SPAM, you will not receive new reply...?"   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 07:35