Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem... : GMAT Verbal Section
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 03 Dec 2016, 08:19
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 10:01
This is from problem 20 from Section 6, V1 of the Official ETS GRE practice book.

One of the answers states:

The ratio of the number of males to the number of females in the senior class is less than 2 to 1

The correct answer is based on the parameters: ratio of males in the senior class to ratio of females in the senior class, both of which are provided in the problem itself.

So I take issue with the grammar. You could easily read it as ratio of number of total males to number of senior females. It would be much more clear if it stated:

- The ratio of the number of males in the senior class to the number of females in the senior class is less than 2 to 1

OR

- In the senior class, the ratio of number of males to the number of females is less than 2 to 1

What is the opinion of this board?
Attachments

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 10.57.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 10.57.22 AM.png [ 215.38 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

Re: Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 04:02
Would agree with you. By the way, I am just curious to know why you are posting this in the "GMAT" forum and not in the "GRE" forum, since you found this question in the GRE guide.

Also, I feel that in Quant and Critical reasoning sections of GMAT, the makers of GMAT do not conform to the "high standards" of English sentence construction that GMAT sets in the sentence construction section.

Obviously the writers of SC are different from the writers of CR and Quant. In most cases, this does not create a problem, but in I do agree, here the meaning is coming out as ambiguous.
Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
Followers: 409

Kudos [?]: 1471 [0], given: 4

Re: Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 17:06
I agree you could read the sentence in two different ways, but if you interpret it incorrectly at first, I think the question might seem odd, because the answer is so obvious. Maybe that would direct you to the intended interpretation.

I've seen several thousand official GMAT questions (not nearly as many GRE questions), and I have seen about five which have ambiguous wording. It's very rare, but it happens in about 1 in 1000 questions. It's unlikely you'll need to worry about it on an actual test.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Re: Disagreeing with the grammar of a Quant problem...   [#permalink] 07 May 2015, 17:06