Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointed ..2nd attempt:650 Q47,V33

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Disappointed ..2nd attempt:650 Q47,V33 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2004, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
Well ...GMAT has got the good of me the second time around too.
Though I have been a long standing member of this forum,my participation has come down drastically because of other comittments.

You can read about my experiences from my 1st attempt here:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5227

About the Test:

AWA
Got an easy topic for argument ..so took off on a bright note.
Topic for issue was not straight forward so had to slog a bit but overall a pleasant experience.Satisfied with my effort I took the optional 5 min break.

Quant:
Nothing could have prepared me for the kinda shock I was going to experience in the quant section.There is no doubt in my mind that the difficulty level of this section has been raised by quite a few notches.Forget Kaplan...no generic prep material is gonna prepare you for the questions you will be encountering in this section on the test day.I think there has been a radical shift in the way ETS devises quant questions nowadays.The first 10-12 questions gave me nightmares...I had to guess 2 q's and was way off my stipulated time after the first 12 q's.But suddenly the difficulty level dropped, which made me think that I must have failed miserably in the earlier questions and so the system is dishing out some low end crap.But this helped me regain some lost ground w.r.t time and then after that the level remained the same till the end.Some questions were unbeleivably easy making you wonder that you have heavliy botched up the first part of the test.I got 1 mean,1 SD(DS) and one combination question.All were relatively easy and in my case timesavers too.IMHO...prob & combination and SD have been unnecessarily given higher importance even though ETS almost everytime just checks the basics.I have hardly read any experience where any person has missed a P & C question.Ofcouse,we should be well versed with the basics but lets not go overboard by lapping up tough questions.Instead,we should concentrate more on questions invloving number properties and parallel line properties.The last mentioned topic is very important cos I got 2 questions in the first 12 questions which tested parallel line properties and I barely scraped thru (or maybe not).Opted for the 5 min break.

Verbal:
What can I say ...it has never failed to surprise me and it did not disappoint me this time either.Started off with 3 SC's ,an easy RC (4-6),SC again and then 40 line RC (7-10) followed by 2 CR's.I was 7 mins off my set time limit and this made me hurry up on the next few questions.Thereafter,got SC's and CR sporadically till the 24 th question...then was hit by a 40 line RC...followed by a series of CR's and SC's.By this time I was way off mark w.r.t the stipulated time.Infact in the last 30 mins I answered 21 questions.And then as is the norm now, got a 55 line RC for the questions 34-37.I just managed to complete the section in time.Like last time I was having a ok feeling about the verbal section and a bad feeling about the quant section.But as the scores above suggest my hunch was wrong.For the second time in a row verbal has got me ...the only difference is this time its SC and not RC,which I thought was the main culprit for botching up my scores last time.SC's were
long and checked many things apart from idioms.I had prepared for long SC's by studying GMAT800 but it does not seem to have helped me.

I am in serious quandary now...I'm unable to take a decision as to whether I should go for a third attempt.I need your help in chalking out a plan to iron out the inadequacies I have in SC.I'm done with PR verbal workbook,Kaplan verbal workbook,PR 2004,Kaplan 2004 and the OG.So can anyone suggest me some good basic grammar books and any other additional material I need to look into to improve me SC skills.

Special thanks to Praet,Paul and BB for all their efforts and thanks to bunch of other guys who provide this site with the needed firepower.

- Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
650 is a decent score and I would suggest put efforts on the applications and if you get time to run over some more material to prepare, go ahead otherwise don;t loose your sleep.

Was the verbal level same as OG? What areas were tested in maths?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [1] , given: 781

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
tough day.

Vivek, tell us what you did in your verbal prep. Try to write in detail about your prep in your post. Everyone can then analyze what needs to be done. I will certainly try to help you.

Please let me write a note. Sorry if i sound too opinionated. :oops:

Vivek made an interesting observation about the GMAT math section. I have written some questions for the challenges..bogdan has done the bulk of the writing... but if we can do a okayish job with the challenges, i can only imagine what the ETS folks are capable of? these guys are brilliant. We simply cannot expect to know ETS type questions, but we can certainly prepare for the concepts.

I cant help but think that the GMAT gets the better of most of us in the Conceptual Learning area. I have written some questions for our challenges, and its amazing in the number of ways you can write a question just testing a simple definition, for example, of mean, mode and median.

Where its at is Conceptual Learning. yes, i repeat it hundred times over, but guys.. this is where its really at. I have no doubt in my mind that everyone who takes the GMAT works really really hard. But it simply comes down to whether we can analyze a variety of problems with limited tools. Thats an essential quality of a manager, if you will.

Learn your Concepts well, Master your errors, and leave all of your problems in life at home while driving to the test center.

I will promise you that if you want to study for the GMAT my way, it wont be that much fun , it wont be easy problems, it wont be feel good season. but you will atleast have the satisfaction that you worked in the right way. What happens on test day happens. Being prepared is our duty.

This is not Economies of Scale. Solving 100's and 100's of problems will not bring down the error rate and will not improve your concepts.

Sincerely
Praetorian
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Vivek, sorry to hear that. There is some improvement and I think you can still do better... Depending on which school you want to apply to, 650 is a pretty decent score. I wonder how you prepared for the verbal section though since it decreased since your last attempt :stupid Did you analyze every SC in detail? Surprisingly, after working on some ETS paper tests, I found out that my weakest area was SC! Despite all that effort, some SC are pretty tricky indeed. All things considered, I think you should try it again... you're almost there.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2004, 11:35
Thank your for your responses guys...

Bhai,
RC was OG level...CR was a bit tough ...close to LSAT CR's.
SC was undoubtedly of higher degree of difficulty than what you find in OG.

Math..P&C,SD and mean/mode questions just checked basics.
Most of the DS q's were based on number properties and parallel line properties.Difficullty level close to Kaplan 800.

Praet,
Just outlining my verbal prep...
* Started off with Kaplan Verbal workbook ( had used this book in my first attempt too.)
* LSAT CR's and RC's (10 official LSAT prep test with explanations)
* Verbal part of Kaplan 800(practised those long SC's)
* Started off with 885SC document and GMAT + but since they do not come with explanations ...gave up on it.
* Went thru PR verbal workbook (didn't help much)
* 15 days before the test went thru OG again.

Infact I felt that I gained the most in SC as compared to other two categories.There was a marked improvement in my SC skills.I used to hardly miss any idiom or subject-modifier question.

Paul,
I myself donno what caused me to loose one point in Verbal.
I can attribute it to two factors my inability and the higher diffculty level which I was not prepared for.Preparation for my 2nd attempt was based on my shortcomings in the 1st attempt.I was not prepared for this unexpected rise in difficulty level.So maybe that explains the lose of 1 point.

Guys...any suggestions abt good grammar books..?

Thanks,
Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2004, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
I thought the CR & SC on the real GMAT was more difficult than the OG as well. I had trouble understanding some of the CRs on the 1st or even 2nd read through & then none of the answer choices seemed to be in the scope of the passage.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

OG [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
People keep talking about OG? what test prep is that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 06:54
OG stands for Official Guide,GMAT prep book from ETS.

I strongly suggest that you go thru this book to improve your score.This book is of greater help for the verbal section.

-Vivek.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
vivek_dj wrote:

Thanks,
Vivek.

To my knowledge,
Wren and Martin - High School Grammar
Kaplan Verbal
Princeton verbal
bartleby.com
Elements of Style - William Stunk Jr.
American Heritage of English Grammar
Barron's Grammar - The easy way (found this in a library)
webster.commnet.edu/grammar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 13:04
hardworker_indian wrote:
vivek_dj wrote:

Thanks,
Vivek.

To my knowledge,
Wren and Martin - High School Grammar
Kaplan Verbal
Princeton verbal
bartleby.com
Elements of Style - William Stunk Jr.
American Heritage of English Grammar
Barron's Grammar - The easy way (found this in a library)
webster.commnet.edu/grammar

Thanks ..hardworker_indian.

- Vivek.

[#permalink] 13 Sep 2004, 13:04