Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul thanks for the advice....

I now, how to solve 7^xyz type of question, i.e look for the unit digit and you know what the remainder is going to be when you divide by 10...its just that I was hoping I would see this type of question probably later in the exam....I know I got the question right cause the next question was a coordinate geometry question, the 4th was DS about a series...5th was about a square inscribed inside a circle part of which was shaded and the question asked about the ratio between the shaded sqare region with the shaded sector of the square....and then the 7th question was very similar to a question on OG where you have a map of city block and question how many ways can you go from one point to the other....the difference in this question was that the person would stop in the middle.....again I thought this was tough to be included in the first 10 questions....

my approach was to spend my time on the first 12 questions...make sure I dont screw up...thats where I burnt most of my time...then along the way I had some probability questions, and some tricky DS question....

So I guess I am struggling with timing in quant...i dont know how wise it was to spend time on the first 10 question. cause...i literally had 8 question and about 3 minutes left...i just started picking numbers on question that I had to spend more than 30 seconds understanding what they were asking....

so One lesson i learnt is that dont loose your nerves...stay calm....

so all those who suggest drinking red bull, well...too much caffine can cause you to loose your nerves...just watch out for that....

Paul:
any suggestion on how to improve RC...I have a 60% hit rate with most OG RC questions...and about 70-75% hit rate on SC type questions..my strength in verbal is CR...my hit rate is about 90% with CRs...

Paul wrote:
Hi freshina, sorry to hear about your disappointment but I'm sure you could increase your score to the high 600 if not more. If you could only increase your quant to 48+, you could easily reach 680 or so.

:fyi the question with 7^xyz / 10 is really easy and should take you no longer than 20 seconds. Just look for the pattern approach and by knowing that the remainder pattern goes by cycle of 4, you will immediately find your answer depending on what xyz is. Just practice a lot in the math forum and also do as many challenges as you can. I don't believe the quant is necessarily harder than kaplan but it is just a matter being familiar to as many question types as you can.

As for verbal, once again, there is nothing better than practice under timed condition. Make sure you can explain every answer choices as to why they are right or wrong. The OG has definitely the right explanation for any answer type but you can also get great explanations from gmatclub in the search engine. There has been many advices given over and over by members and perhaps you should read the advice given by crackgmat or gayathri in the "share your experience" forum. Until then, I wish you good luck should you decide to take the exam again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fresinha: That was a good score but you got the potential to go to the higher 600 . Just keep studying and you would do it
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey freshina, the best advice I can give you about RC is here: https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11569
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi--
Was this your first GMAT or have you taken the test before?

Your scenario sounds like mine... I prepared really well for math... only to find that I was getting the really hard questions around # 12,13 etc.. which started taking more time (versus only seeing them after #30 on practice tests)... so, I knew I kicked butt on the first 12, but then I dove way down after that.. because I was taking too long, and then I didnt finish.

As for verbal, I highly recommend the Manhattan GMAT books. I have just finished the verbal parts and I found the content to be quite good.

Best of luck for your next try, which I think you should do since you are so disappointed with a 640 (which is a decent score!)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Re: Disappointed...640 V34 Q44 [#permalink]
fresinha12,

i am sorry about your score however 640 is not bad at all. you would have hit near 700 if your QT was 48/49. QT pulled you down, other wise it would be ok.

imo, its better to try again.

goodluck.

himalaya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry fresinha, 640 is not so bad but judging from your contributions on this forum i believe if you can beat the timing you're surely going to be in the 700+ zone.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys...thanks for the support.....

Yes this was my first time...as much as I prepared myself...I got to admit...giving your GMAT the first time still rattles your nerves...I knew I had issue with timing, but as long as I kept the discipline and not get bogged down with a problem...I could finish on time...

all the CATs I have taken, usually the hard questions start coming after question 10 onwards..so the plan to spend time on the first 10 questions and get em right....back fired...I dont think with the randomness of GMAT questions you can plan that way....In other words I would next time set a hard time limit for the first 12 questions...16 minutes and not more than that period...

I figured If I had scored 48+ plus on the quant, I could have gotten fairly close to 700...

I just bought myself manhattanGMAT review material on SC and RC...

I wish myself and everyone else good luck on their GMATs...i will be taking my again on Aug 29th....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hmmm....sorry to hear that u r disappointed with ur score. U can definitely do better. Trust me next time u will much more relaxed. Make sure next time u crack that Quant, without which it is hard to score in 700s. Do u take part in forum "challenges" ? If not, u shud. It will open ur eyes on new stuff in quant. Also forget abt the strategy of spending too much time on ur first questions, give each question its proper due. Yes, first few ques are imp, however, they are not that imp that they shud keep u from finishing the test on time.

Good luck !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
7^xyz/10 problem [#permalink]
7^xyz/10 problem

Can someone explain this question (and answer) for me. I haven't seen a question like that yet.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Re: 7^xyz/10 problem [#permalink]
aklep613 wrote:
7^xyz/10 problem

Can someone explain this question (and answer) for me. I haven't seen a question like that yet.

Thanks!

It's called Cyclicity of a number (applies to exponents and remainders). Send your post to the math discussion forum (if you have not done so) and let's take it up from there.

Meanwhile, I just sent you a PM, Fresinha.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 7^xyz/10 problem [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts