Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointed in my GMAT performance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Disappointed in my GMAT performance [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 07:10
Hello everyone:

I frequently visit GMATCLUB to help me prepare for GMAT. I want to say thank you to all of for your help. However, I am disappointed in my performance.

July 21 2006 590 (Q44, V27) AWA 5.0
Aug 21 2006 560 (Q44, V23)

I used OG, PR and Kaplan as study material for the first attempt. I took couple of Kaplan CATs and both of the GMAT prep exams. Obviously my verbal score is keeping me down. After my first attempt, I realized that I did not tackle the verbal section as aggressively as I should and I felt that I was struggling during the verbal section. This was obvious in my score. Then I started preparing for Verbal more intensely. I got Verbal OG, Kaplan 800, kept a log of my mistakes, tried to study the basic concepts of SC (Idioms, GMAT preferences for SC) and visited the GMAT club frequently.

I gave my exam yesterday and did poorly. The issue is that I am out of ideas how to tackle the GMAT verbal. Something is going inherently wrong during the exam since I never saw such bad scores on the Verbal section when I took the GMATprep exams. Also, on my second attempt of GMAT, I did not feel as if I was struggling during Verbal. I am not sure how to proceed.

Can you all give me an idea how to improve my Verbal score. I am not a native English speaker but I have gone through undergrad and Master program in the US. Written numerous technical papers as well as non-technical papers. I read newspaper very frequently. Therefore, its not that I am not familiar with the language. I think my basic English skills are decent. I will admit that for above difficulty questions, I have to read the CR questions twice and sometimes exceed the 2min mark. I am confused how my Verbal score went down as oppose to go up even though I concentrated on Verbal the second time around. I took only one practice exam after my first attempt that was a day before the second attempt. I got a 690 (Q48 V38), but there were questions repeated from before so the score was skewed. I am confused and a bit clueless as to how to proceed in my preparation. Should I take a Kaplan course, use a different strategy for my verbal prep or buy the MGMAT?

Will appreciate your response.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Hey [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 09:15
How was the Math part of the test? WHat kind of problems were you mostly facing? How did you prepare for quant? And how long did u prep before giving the test.......What was your study routine like?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 10:19
Math was not bad at all. A lot of D.S questions where I struggled na little bit. The problem solving was probably as tough as the GMATprep exams. For the first exam I, I spent two months and and for the second one I spent a month.

As for the routine, after the first exam, I was concentrating on the verbal section. I used the OG and OG Verbal and started working the problems and paying special attention to my mistakes and the explainations given. I also started making notes of things like the idioms I missed, tense shits, and other concepts GMAT likes to test on. As for the RC, I read the passage and made notes about each paragraph and tried to grasp the main idea. For critical reasoning, I did not do anything special, just tried to read as attentively as possible and before looking at the answer, tried to identify the assumptions etc. I did not do any practice CAT before the 2nd attempt except one GMAT prep exam. I got a good score but it was skewed because I had previosly attempted this practice exam. I studied most of the week nights (1.5 hours) and on the weekends (4-5 hours). I also did alot of practice problems from the paper exams from GMAT.

On the exam day, I encounted many more SC than CR or RC. There were four passages and the second one was the toughest. The CR got tougher during the middle but I did not feel challenged in SC. The weird thing is that I cannot identify which problems I missed, was it SC, CR or RC. If I was struggling or doing random guessing, then I can figure out where I was going wrong. However, I did not end up random guessing, maybe for two or three questions. I did realize during the middle of the Verbal section that I was short on time and at that time I picked up the pace and maybe there I got some questions wrong. Do you think that I should do more practice exams from Kaplan, PR or MGMAT since I have already done the GMAT prep exams? I studied one more month and it actually decreased my verbal instead of imrpoving it and thats what I cannot figure out.

Any thoughts?
  [#permalink] 22 Aug 2006, 10:19