Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 18:39
I feel disappointed with the score. I never had such a low score on verbal. I think the reasons for most part are that nerves got better of me during the verbal section. I could not sleep well the night before despite taking a sleep pill. I managed to get only a 3 hour sleep from 10.30 to 6.00 and my appointment was at 8.00. I’m not used to such an early timing, but, couldn’t help at the same time because I could not get a different time appointment at this Roseville, CA test center. Others test centers were around 2.5 hour drives from here in bay area. Here is how the exam went,

First started with analysis of the argument, thought that it went ok and the analysis of the issue was a dry topic. I managed to put some 4 paragraphs and had a quick review just before the time expired. Took the 10min break and gulped the energy drink loaded with caffeine to compensate for not having enough sleep. Quant started, 2-3 questions in first 10 appeared to be difficult, I eliminated answer choices for those questions and moved on. I started to get tough ones when I was around 20th question and I was lagging by around 5 minutes. I guessed 2-3 questions in the latter part to help me get back on time. Overall, I anticipated that I should be scoring around 48 on quant.

Next, gulped one more energy drink and ate 2 breakfast bars during 10 minute break and started the verbal section. First 6 questions were a mixture of SC’s and CR’s and I had a 2 paragraph RC. Around 20th question I was not able to readily eliminate wrong answer choices on SC’s and got the feeling that my nerves and lack of sleep began to take their toll me. Nevertheless, tried to recoup by recollecting that I had a similar feeling during the first GmatPrep and managed to score a 34 verbal then. In the last 10, I had a longer RC passage, that kind with 4-5 paragraphs. I answered 2 of its questions in haste to get back on time and just managed to finish on time by guessing last question. I anticipated that I should be scoring around 30 on verbal.

Next, clicked on report scores and saw the 600. I walked out the room with a dazed look on my face.

I had studied for GMAT for more than 6 months and here is how I scored on the practice tests.
Manhattan gmat-1 560 (M-40, V-28).
Manhattan gmat-2 630 (M-47, V-30).
Princeton – 650 (M-50, V-30).
Manhattan gmat-3 620 (M-45, V-31).
Gmat Prep1–680 (M-48, V-34)
Manhattan Gmat-4 630 (Q-42, V-34)
Manhattan Gmat-5 670 (Q-47, V-34)
Gmat Prep2 – 660 (M-49, V-31)
Manhattan gmat-6 710 (Q-48, V-39).
PowerPrep – 730 (Q-47, V-44)
Actual GMAT - 600 (Q-47, V-25)
The fact that I studied for such a long time makes me feel even more disappointed. As did many others I targeted scoring 700 in the real deal. Surely, I need to retake but feeling too burned out to start studying again. I’m planning to take a break for few weeks before starting again. Need to figure out a proper strategy to tackle verbal. Despite, practicing tons of SC questions and regularly referring the manhattan SC guide, I think I was killed by SC. Any help would be appreciated in this regard. I also would try to solve hard questions in math in an effort to push my quant score by few more points.

Some do or don'ts.
1.Don’t study too long for this exam, a proper planned and a diligent effort in 3-4 months should be sufficient for most people.
2.OG11 and quant review do not have too many 700-800 difficulty level questions. You need to find other material to help you with quant practice if you are looking to target 49+. People who excelled at quant (scored 50 or 51) seemed to have good math/engineering backgrounds.
3.You should step into the exam center oozing with confidence, shaky confidence doesn’t do any good.
4.Practice your timed tests by even taking the AWA sections to get used to the keeping of your focus for longer periods.

Good luck to all, thanks for the all the helpful posts.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
We're seeing a pattern here on GMATClub. Several members have reported doing much below expectations on the Verbal section due to lack of sleep the night before. And IIRC a lot of these folks had their tests scheduled for 8am or something just as early.

Don't forget, the GMAT is as much a test of endurance as it is a test of basic management aptitude. It is essential you start getting used to your test day schedule 4-5 days in advance. If your test is scheduled for 8am, sleep by 9:30pm and take a few practice CAT's (fully timed, naturally, with both AWA's) at 8am to see how you perform at that time. We're all different individuals and I'm sure our levels of mental alertness aren't always conditioned to be super high that early in the day.

Avoid stressing out by cramming stuff the day before, my suggestion is to only review AWA templates and do nothing else. Avoid caffeine etc. anything that will throw your sleep cycle off. And finally, if you can help it, don't take 8am appointments unless you're a really early riser and are usually at school or work by that time.

And remember folks, a good 6-8 hours of sleep is essential otherwise, as the experience of several other members has shown, you may suffer a marked lack of concentration by the time you get to the Verbal section.

Rakesh, your practice CAT scores clearly indicate you can do better on your verbal. I'd simply book another appointment for next month and spend time reviewing the question types you had trouble with this time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 19:04
First of all thanks for tips you have given
About verbal part - I think you should read some newspapers along with preparation because when you read you meet some structures of sentences described in SC material, also it will help with RC.
Last point about results- don't get disapointed, it can be reflected in second exam, on the other hand you have experience of real GMAT exam,
I think you should try one more time, practice more, read, try to solve new math question, participate in this forum
keep trying and you will be rewarded
best of luck and wish you get 750+....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 19:57
Rakesh...I don't have much advice to give you as to how you can improve your score but I can restate a nugget of common knowledge, i.e., Most of the people give GMAT at least twice.

people don't do GMAT twice because they love it so much :roll: they do it because it is so hard to score up to one's true abilites in one try. Inability to sleep the night before, the fear of the worst (score and not getting into school), strangeness of the test environment, one's mental state on that particular day and countless exogenous variables can come together to negatively affect the test result.

You practice scores show that without practice you can easily score 50 more points and if you use focused approach to improve some areas of your verbal you can be ready in a month to score around 700. You are already very strong in math and you can improve your SC skills in a months time.

So, don't worry...take a break for a week, refocus your efforts and I am sure you can cross the 700 barrier. The main thing is to realize that: if you don't score up to your potential then you can take the test again...It's not a one chance scenario. work hard, work smart and do your best; this is the philosophy I have adopted so an not to stress about this test too much. what's the worst that can happen if you don't score high enough...you do it again

good luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 05:22
I took the test last year and it was at 12pm. I noticed that this does not appear to be an option anymore, at least in the NYC area. It seems that the test is only offered at 8am. I wonder if that is intentional.(???)

I would advise taking practice test during the same time that your test is schedule for. You will build a routine.
Manager
Manager

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 22:08
Thanks guys - jay, solaris, kazakh and humbled4real, for your suggestions. I’m beginning to get some confidence back. I’ll take some time off for few weeks before starting to prep again. At least, I don’t have to hurry, I’m 25 now and think that I have few years before I start applying.

I’d focus on my weak areas - SC, tough math questions and timing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 12:45
rakesh22,

I also took a sleep pill the night before the test (BIG MISTAKE) and could barely focus on the verbal section. I ended up scoring a 42Q 24V. The next day I re-scheduled, and scored 120 points higher the second time around. How do you ask? I started exercising two weeks before I took my second exam. My advice: exercise in the morning before work. It does wonders for the brain.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 21:35
I too slept only 3 hours the night before and took the test at 8am. My verbal score was also in the 20s, but I expected more.

Anyways, I have a question about the verbal section. Say, I answered a few sentence corrections questions incorrectly in the beginning, would the CAT give me easier RC and CR as the result?

If that is the case, you need to be good at all 3 types of questions in order to score high on the verbal section.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 21:39
Sounds so familiar...

8-t59100
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 06:34
Hey,

Looking at your CAT scores I can't imagine you having a score of 600. I think it was just a bad day for you.

Take a break and then nail this sucker down.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 13:33
Keep pushin!!
Manager
Manager

Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 18:20
2L, yes, if you answer SC questions incorrectly then you would get easier RC's and CR's.

I had enough of a break till now, but, haven't got into the habit of studying regularly. I'll try to push myself.
Re: Disappointed with 600 (Q-47, V-25)   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2008, 18:20