Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointed with a 650 (Q43,V37)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Disappointed with a 650 (Q43,V37) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2004, 03:25
Hi everyone,

Not too thrilled with myself today. :? Took the GMAT and got a 650. Maybe I was being overambitious but I really expected to get above 700 and above.

I prepared using the OG - did it cover to cover as suggested. Also used Kaplan 2005 as well as IMS notes (IMS is a coaching centre for GRE/GMAT/CAT etc in India). Was really confident of my performance on the practice tests as I had been consistently scoring reasonably well. Here were my scores :-

Kaplan 1: 600
Kaplan 2: 610
PR 1: 720
IMS 1: 650
IMS 2: 660
IMS 3: 670
PP 1: 760 (after OG)
PP 2: 760 ( " )

The test started with two essays of average difficulty. After that the first six or so quant questions, the level of difficulty went through the roof with complicated set theory questions then it went back down to basic and then back again. It was weird and difficult - most of the problems very Kaplan-esqe i.e they were not so difficult but took a lot of time to solve. Got quite demoralised at the end of the quant section.

Verbal started off easy and stayed very easy throughout. I don't know why it didn't even increase in difficulty - I'm sure I was getting answers correct as they were obvious sentence errors and things. Got four RC's, about ten SC's and about 7 CR's (lot of the logically complete this stuff) - never got tougher at all - very basic - very simple - stuff you could actually lift from the passage - literally. So I thought atleast verbal would compensate for the poor quant showing, but it was not to be. Final scores :

Quant Scaled Score: 43 Percentile : 70
Verbal Scaled Score: 37 Percentile : 83
Total 650 Percentile : 84

My tips:

- Don't trust the scores on the prep tests. I would reckon that none of them are truly as "adaptive" or crazy as the real GMAT is.

- Do the OG but remember your quant section may go to hell if you think it will remain at the basic level at which OG handles quant.

- Your experience may be very different from the next guy/gal so don't unnecessarily kill yourself over low scores. I've not been able to find any data about how the GMAT score is actually arrived at and how your pattern of questions can be compared to what the next guy got.

Anyway, I don't think I want to do the GMAT again - am going to apply with these scores. A big thank you to everyone on this forum....

Warm regards and best wishes to everyone.
Conal

P.S Has anyone heard of the GMAT having a bad month ? Two of my friends gave it this month in Mumbai (Bombay), India and only scored 490. Quicker than you can say "conspiracy theory", I'm outta here :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2004, 06:40
84 percentile is a balanced score. Congrats. If you want to do it again stay around.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2004, 06:53
Hi Bhai,

Thanks for the compliments. When you say 'balanced score' what does that mean exactly ?

Now that I've given my GMAT - should my next step now be getting transcripts from my college and recommendations in place ?

Thanks,
Conal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2004, 07:23
Conal,
Congrats on your score.
A ideal balanced score card means having 80% on both V and Q.
Unline other Indians your verbal score is better than your quant score.If you happen to be an engineer, the lower score on the quant can be offset by letting the AdComm know about the quant intensive courses you would have taken in your engg.

Yes ..you shud go ahead and request your transcripts..shortlist the schools you would like to apply to...do some research on the shortlisted schools.Start drafting essays ...talk to your recommenders...give them your detailed resume and at the same time conjure up a short 1-page resume for the application.

Let me know if you need any other info.

P.S: I too have a score of 650 and I'm apping with the same score.

-Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2004, 19:56
hi vivek

I have a 660, can u please share what schools you have short listed?

raj
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2004, 08:17
i agree with vivek,i am an engineer and i got the same score,i just decided to apply since i dont want to waste time writing it again and moreover most of the deadlines are approaching.If u r looking for 2nd tier schools i.e top 20 u should give it a try but if u want to go to top 10 then u must write again

ash
  [#permalink] 20 Nov 2004, 08:17