Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 10:20

Right Now:

Admit Calls from McCombs  |  McDonough  |  Chicago-Booth  |  Tuck  |  Ross. || Join the chat for Live updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing 620...advise pls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: LBS '14
GMAT Date: 03-09-2013
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Disappointing 620...advise pls [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 05:44
Hi guys,

I took my GMAT exam on last Saturday (Mar 9) and scored 620. My target was to score a 700+ but I could not even score quite near that. I want to pursue Masters in Finance from any of the following colleges.

1. London Business School
2. MIT
3. IE, Madrid
4. HEC Paris
5. Essec

I have an engineering background with a undergraduate GPA of 3.9. Post-engineering, straight out of college, I did MBA from one of the Tier-1 colleges in India with a not so good GPA (2.8 out of 4). I am also a CFA Level-3 candidate. I currently work for an IB as part of Valuations team. I have previously worked in the same IB as part of a specialized team within Equity Research. I have a total post-MBA work experience of close to 3 years, of which 1 year is International.

My problem is I have my CFA exam this June and I have hardly prepared owing to work pressure. Adding to this is the poor GMAT score, meaning I have to retake my GMAT. I however feel that it would not be possible for me to juggle both these at the same time. So should I retake my GMAT exam now or should I apply to these colleges with my current score or should I retake my exam after June since most colleges have April 14 as the deadline and I dont see any reason why I should take the exam post April but before June and spoil my CFA exam preparation also? I need you guys to help me out.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 80

Re: Disappointing 620...advise pls [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 17:06
Sorry to hear that things didn't go your way on the GMAT this time around. It sounds like the best bet is for you to relax a little bit, focus on finishing off your CFA and work obligations, and then deal with the GMAT starting in June. If you're looking for an 80-point jump, then you'll want to prepare for the GMAT when you have plenty of time to devote to your studies, and it doesn't sound like this is a good time for you to do that.

Just as importantly, I don't see any good reason for you to be in a hurry. MIT's final application deadline for this cycle was back in December, and you're awfully close to the final deadlines for most of the programs on your list with fall intakes, so you're likely to be at a disadvantage right from the start. You might as well take your time, beat the pulp out of the GMAT over the summer, and then you'll be ready for first-round applications--or possibly a shot at a January intake if you prefer--by, say, September.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Disappointing 620...advise pls   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 17:06