Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing and Confused - 650 (Q44, V35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Disappointing and Confused - 650 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 23:15
First of all, I’ll like to say thank you to all you guys who have helped me in my quest. A big thank you to Praetorian, Paul, HongHu, WinWinMBA, Depapa, and all other members of this family. You guys have been awesome and I must confess, intimidating. Nevertheless it’s been great working with the best – What else could I have asked for? I do not have much to say, but here are my experiences (despite my appalling score):

Quant (Score: 44)
I expected a 49 in this section because I thought I was doing very well. I started the section by scribbling the names, “HongHuâ€
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 07:45
Arsene: First off congrats on this gr8 improvement (140 point jump) ! :beer .....altho u r disappointed and understandably so, u still can make it to 7xx. Altho it will be upto u to make the decision whether 650 will be good enuf for ur target schools.

If I may say so, as I have said before, long-winded prep is as much harmful as under-preparedness. I believe ur long prep eventually harmed u. I think u got saturated with all types of questions and perhaps somewhat lost the edge on original thinking. Remember it matters more what ur approach is rather than how many questions you have done. You already have all the basics down and I believe a cool and calm mind can do wonders for u.

If u r planning to take the exam again, then take a 2 week break and then take a GMAT date 1 month from that day and not a day more than that. For first two weeks focus on what u think u r weak in, while keep practicing 20 some ques on other stuff as well. In last two weeks, take practice tests and cover all aspects equally (try UpstartRaising if u are out of tests). In last few days try to stay away from lot of discussions as it might confuse you unnecessarily. When u walk into the center take control of the test and leave emotions out of the center for 4 hrs. Think +ve and u will do good, I promise !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 11:07
Hello Arsene,

You have done pretty well in Math, and I am sure those few questions made a difference to your final score. You have been active in these forums, and you are good at cracking many of the questions in these forums. I think you should start applying to universities. Meanwhile, you may make another attempt at the GMAT, this time with a little more emphasis on Math. You may also do an overall review of Verbal. I think you are nearly there.

All the best with your preparations.
Darth
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 20:19
Arsen,

Congratulation for your decent score.

goodluck...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 21:26
Arsene, you did great! Don't be too disappointed. 650 is a good score. Congratulations!

I agree with baner that you deserve a good break. And then when you are ready we'll do it again!

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 00:41
It is one thing to perform below par in the GMAT, and another thing brace up, pick up the pieces, and move on with determination to suceed. However, you guys will never cease to amaze me. The love, the belief in ourselves, the care, etc, is so heart touching. Thanks Baner, Darth, Hima, and Hong.

I must confess that i hesitated (for a while) to post my experience because i thought i let the club down! In my last two nights, this feeling has continued to haunt me even in my serenest of midnight dreams. I'm sure some of you should feel this fire that burns.

I plan to retake the exam during the first week of october. My mind is playing games on me, and will not allow me to take the break that i also believe i deserve (i've already begun to burn my midnight candle). I agree with you, baner, that i overprepared and i will certainly heed to your advice. I've just ordered OG11 and should receive it in a few days.

Thanks guys for your responses. Good luck to all of you out there writing soon. It's certainly something we can all achieve!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 06:02
Arsene, this is a very inspiring post and I cannot be prouder of your achievement. As a matter of fact, my second GMAT score was also 650 and the third time was the charm. I sincerely hope that you achieve your target score and I'm sure you will from your determination. Unfortunately, I am on a world tour right now so I could not answer many queries but I will try to be up to date by next week. I'll see you around!

Best Regards,

Paul

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 06:16
Arsene...hang in there....I am giving my gmat again too...scored 640 the first time...so learn from your mistake and correct them and become even more empowered....

in the movie batman...there was this catchy pharase that kinda set the message home..."why do we fall? so we can learn to standup again....."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2005, 10:54
Congrats Arsene, i think your improvement is phenomenal but i agree with your intention to take it again.
But if you ask me I'd say you have the secret already worked out so just for it!!!
You have been a great help in this forum. All the best.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 11:27
Dear Arsene

I think you score is wonderful - i took the test last year and got only 600 and was really really frustrated, and giving it a go again this year ....

Can you tell me where to order the 11 edition of the Official ets guide as i cannot find it.

Cheers

Pelican
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Disappointing and Confused - 650 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2005, 17:04
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Pearsons GMATPrep test 1: 700
Pearsons GMATPrep test 2: 650
PowerPrep 1: 710 (4 months after OG)
PowerPrep 2: 700 (same)

arsen,
are the questions in Pearsons and PowerPrep same? because i havenot started pearson vue.

thanks,

himalaya
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Disappointing and Confused - 650 (Q44, V35) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2005, 23:33
HIMALAYA wrote:
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Pearsons GMATPrep test 1: 700
Pearsons GMATPrep test 2: 650
PowerPrep 1: 710 (4 months after OG)
PowerPrep 2: 700 (same)

arsen,
are the questions in Pearsons and PowerPrep same? because i havenot started pearson vue.

thanks,

himalaya

I have sent you a PM, HIMA. i believe they are different set of questions. The pearsons guy even gives you different set of questions on a second try.
Re: Disappointing and Confused - 650 (Q44, V35)   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2005, 23:33