Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing first attempt (620)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.71
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Disappointing first attempt (620) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Took the GMAT last Saturday after a couple months of preparation using the OG and GMAC software. Never really studied the verbal other than answering the questions on practice tests. The quant is what I was focused on because I knew it was my weakness (having not even thought of geometry since 10th grade, and having used a calculator since middle school). I scored 600 on my first practice test after minimal preparation. Took the free Kaplan and MGMAT tests in between (scoring between 620-640). I then took my 2nd GMAC practice test and scored 650. On these practice tests I scored between 60th and 73rd percentile in Quant, and between 75 and 80th percentile in Verbal, but by the time I would get to the verbal section I would get tired/bored and rush through it (working 8-5 every day it would be 10 or 11 oclock before I could finish these practice tests). I would always finish verbal with 20-30 minutes to spare. Quant I would usually finish with only a minute or 2 to spare (actually had a little trouble finishing the MGMAT test on time), but I had little problem finishing the GMAC tests on time or with a couple minutes to spare.
So I get to the actual GMAT and breeze through the AWA/IR. Got at least a 5/6 on the essay and 7/8 on IR.
Skip ahead to the Verbal, I took my time as opposed to rushing it as I did on the practice tests. Actually read the passages instead of skimming through, and scored a 40 (90th percentile!).
With this verbal score, if I had scored my WORST quant score from the practice tests I would have had a 680.

Now for the part where I shot myself in the foot. I had read of the importance of the first 10 questions, so I made sure to take my time on them and I felt like I got AT LEAST 8 of them right. I was doing much better than usual, and the questions kept getting harder. I continued to do well on these questions and felt that I was crushing the section like I had never done in any of the practice tests. I wanted to continue to get every single question right, and spent WAY too long on some 700-800 level questions. Through 27 questions, I felt that I had gotten 20 or more right. However, it was at that point that I looked up at the clock and saw 11 minutes remaining.... with 10 questions left. I panicked. I randomly guessed at a few, rushed some calculations, and probably missed 7-9 of the last 10 questions. Ended up with a 36th percentile score..... 36th.
Now I am absolutely sick about it. I feel like I got too greedy wanting to get every quant question right and score a 750, and it ended up backfiring on me. If I had just done my average in quant then I would have scored MORE than high enough to get into ANY of the schools I am targeting. If I had scored on the higher end of my practice test quant scored I would be applying to some schools I didn't think I had a shot at.

Now I absolutely cant wait for 30 days to pass so I can do what I should have done on my first attempt. It is a personal grudge now, I will not rest until I score 680+ like I should have in the first place.... grrrr :evil:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 151

Re: Disappointing first attempt (620) [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
@Sachin9-Nothing like that,just stuck to a schedule of practicing only official questions daily.Once u do this,u get a feel of the pattern of questions that GMAT throws at u.
Also,i kept checkpoints at various intervals,such as:
6th question-66 mins left
11th-57
and so on.
Also,strangely i got my 1st RC on like 18th question which was weird and then at one point i had 2 back to back RCs.I didn't see any boldfaced question so thought i'm not doing that well.Anyway,im now trying to improve both quant and verbal score,lets see how it goes :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Disappointing first attempt (620) [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:53
ur story seems so much like mine.I was also doing well till the 27th question when some weird compound interest question popped up and i wasted time solving it.Eventually i did not have much time to answer last 10 questions but i tried to guess every alternate question,finally the score was 630 (Q39,V37). Max in all of the verbal tests ive got is 35 so 37 was definitely pleasing but this is the least ive got in quant,ever! My least in quant till date has been 44 so 39 came as a rude shock.
I am preparing to take gmat within next 15-20 days.

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.71
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Disappointing first attempt (620) [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 17:09
The 30 day wait is going to be hard. It's gonna be tough to make myself study more because I know I could easily get my target score (680) if I just don't do anything stupid..
I think the only way I'll get myself to buckle down is to shoot for 700+. I plan to do a lot of OG quant problems and a couple more practice tests. What I really need is to find out some shortcuts to some of the more difficult problems. I seemed to have gotten a lot of long calculations which slowed me down significantly... I was still getting the right answers but it ended up coming back to bite me at the end.. and advice?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Disappointing first attempt (620) [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 18:07
shreerajp99 wrote:
ur story seems so much like mine.I was also doing well till the 27th question when some weird compound interest question popped up and i wasted time solving it.Eventually i did not have much time to answer last 10 questions but i tried to guess every alternate question,finally the score was 630 (Q39,V37). Max in all of the verbal tests ive got is 35 so 37 was definitely pleasing but this is the least ive got in quant,ever! My least in quant till date has been 44 so 39 came as a rude shock.
I am preparing to take gmat within next 15-20 days.

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Hi What was your strategy on VErbal? 37 is an amazing score.

did you focus more on the first 10 Questions.. I heard this matters a lot in VErbal.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Disappointing first attempt (620)   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 18:07