Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 10:44
Hi,
Just returned from GMAT. Got 700 (Q49,V35). Very disappointed with my score.
Here is a quick background -
This is the second time I gave the GMAT.
When I gave it for the first time, I just prepared the OG, gave the two official tests (740,760) and practiced from a few local sources (Overall 2 months of preparation).
Scored a 710 (Q49,V38).
Was disappointed back then as well. Forgot about it for a few months.

Decided to take it back up now. Started afresh. Found out from a few sources that MGMAT books are good for verbal. Studied those. Also used MGMAT Advanced Math Guide for DS.

Also, gave a couple of mocks. Here are the scores -
0) Retake - GMAT Prep 1 770 (Q50,V44)
1) MGMAT 1 720 (Q49,V39)
2) MGMAT 2 730 (Q51,V38)
3) MGMAT 3 730 (Q49, V40)
4) MGMAT 4 720 (Q50,V38)
5) MGMAT 5 720 (Q48, V40)
6) MGMAT 6 760 (Q49,V45)
7) Kaplan 1 710
8) Kaplan 2 730
9) Veritas Prep 740 (Q50,V41)
10) Retake - GMAT Prep 2 740 (Q49,V41)
Gave these tests in this order itself.

Gave tests 9,10 a day before the acutal GMAT.
Also, before leaving for the actual exam prepared a practice set of 30 questions (5 questions from each section) from the 90 pratice questions that come with the official software - just to get in the flow. Got all of them right.
Test experience was also good. Finished all sections including AWA and IR with 2-3 minutes to spare.
Found choosing between the last two options a little tricky for few verbal questions.
But all in all, was expecting a 50-51 in quant and 39-44 in Verbal (Overall : 740-760)
Was a little surprised to see this score.

Could experts please advise?
1) Am I falling short in my preparation?
2) Is it the series of activities precluding the exam?
3) Is it some basic exam strategy I am missing?
4) Is there some specific mindset you need to have during the exams?
5) Or could I attribute it to bad luck and a bad day :-(?
And, the biggest question,
6) Should I give it again in the next 1-2 weeks (While in the flow)? (My target schools require a 730-740+ for a Indian Student. Current scores wont help.)

Open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 22:49
Hi Ashutoshr,

Thanks for your texting to me!

Your scores are not that too bad. Just forget it some months and comeback to review and focus on your weakness. About your verbal, you need advanced tests, which gather only high-scored questions in Gmat pool. Do you have that ones?

ashutoshr wrote:
Hi,
Just returned from GMAT. Got 700 (Q49,V35). Very disappointed with my score.
Here is a quick background -
This is the second time I gave the GMAT.
When I gave it for the first time, I just prepared the OG, gave the two official tests (740,760) and practiced from a few local sources (Overall 2 months of preparation).
Scored a 710 (Q49,V38).
Was disappointed back then as well. Forgot about it for a few months.

Decided to take it back up now. Started afresh. Found out from a few sources that MGMAT books are good for verbal. Studied those. Also used MGMAT Advanced Math Guide for DS.

Also, gave a couple of mocks. Here are the scores -
0) Retake - GMAT Prep 1 770 (Q50,V44)
1) MGMAT 1 720 (Q49,V39)
2) MGMAT 2 730 (Q51,V38)
3) MGMAT 3 730 (Q49, V40)
4) MGMAT 4 720 (Q50,V38)
5) MGMAT 5 720 (Q48, V40)
6) MGMAT 6 760 (Q49,V45)
7) Kaplan 1 710
8) Kaplan 2 730
9) Veritas Prep 740 (Q50,V41)
10) Retake - GMAT Prep 2 740 (Q49,V41)
Gave these tests in this order itself.

Gave tests 9,10 a day before the acutal GMAT.
Also, before leaving for the actual exam prepared a practice set of 30 questions (5 questions from each section) from the 90 pratice questions that come with the official software - just to get in the flow. Got all of them right.
Test experience was also good. Finished all sections including AWA and IR with 2-3 minutes to spare.
Found choosing between the last two options a little tricky for few verbal questions.
But all in all, was expecting a 50-51 in quant and 39-44 in Verbal (Overall : 740-760)
Was a little surprised to see this score.

Could experts please advise?
1) Am I falling short in my preparation?
2) Is it the series of activities precluding the exam?
3) Is it some basic exam strategy I am missing?
4) Is there some specific mindset you need to have during the exams?
5) Or could I attribute it to bad luck and a bad day :-(?
And, the biggest question,
6) Should I give it again in the next 1-2 weeks (While in the flow)? (My target schools require a 730-740+ for a Indian Student. Current scores wont help.)

Open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks !

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 23:00
Hi Sodenso,
Thanks a lot for the advice!
Currently I don't have/know any advanced practice questions/sectional tests for verbal.
Would be great if you could recommend some.
Also, was thinking of continuing with mocks (Veritas and GMAT club) and aiming for high accuracies and speeds.
But it makes more sense to practice difficult verbal questions before I start with mocks.
Also, a quick question -
If you could recollect, did you face the same problem in verbal when you gave your GMAT (Eliminating 3 options easily and getting confused between the last two options for close to 10-15 questions)? Or were the answers obvious?
Just trying to understand the level I need to achieve before I take up a mock again.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 08:13
Expert's post
ashutoshr wrote:
Currently I don't have/know any advanced practice questions/sectional tests for verbal.
Would be great if you could recommend some.

Sure, you can check out some practice questions for SC/CR/RC here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

For practice tests, you can try this computer adaptive test: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... promo=free

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 10:33
Thanks a lot. Will def try these.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 03:54
If you have time I would suggest that you take a break from GMAT for 4-5 months. Come back fresh and start your prep over again.

Would you say that you had already seen/solved some of the questions that came in in your mocks? You mock scores look great!

Also another thing I would suggest is that you shouldn't be working so hard on test day or even the day before. Last two days should be spent on relaxing and easing yourself. Identify your weak areas when you get back to prep and work on them without reading into your scores.

If you are scoring well but still are able to spot weakenesses work hard on them.

All the best.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Re: Disappointing GMAT Score. Need some suggestions..   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 03:54