Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disappointing score and don't know what to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 02:17
Hi everybody,

I am a non-native speaker and I chose to take the GMAT and I scored just 530. And this was my second try. Fortunately, I increased it from 490 (Q35,V23) to 530(Q40,V23). But nevertheless, it is still to low. My final goal was a 600+. When I finished the last GMAT test on the prep software two days before the score, I gained a 620. As you can see, I have some problems with the verbal part, although I thought that I somehow gave the right answers on test day :(. I assume my sentence correction and critical reasoning were pretty weak.

Nevertheless, I am willing to do this one more time and I do have the right attitude towards such challenges. But I am not so sure, how I can really improve my verbal score. In addition 40 in mathematics is fine but regarding some mistakes I made, I think i can improve this with a few more training.

Preperation materials:

Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Edition Premier + CD
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 12th Edition (Wiley)
The Prep Software from the Homepage (1st Test: 540, 2nd: 620)
Challenges from this site

Do you have any additional tipps, good materials how i could improve my score? When should I take the test again? I have enough time the next 5-6 weeks.

Thank you very much for your help!
Jay
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LSE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 5

Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
jay121 wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am a non-native speaker and I chose to take the GMAT and I scored just 530. And this was my second try. Fortunately, I increased it from 490 (Q35,V23) to 530(Q40,V23). But nevertheless, it is still to low. My final goal was a 600+. When I finished the last GMAT test on the prep software two days before the score, I gained a 620. As you can see, I have some problems with the verbal part, although I thought that I somehow gave the right answers on test day :(. I assume my sentence correction and critical reasoning were pretty weak.

Nevertheless, I am willing to do this one more time and I do have the right attitude towards such challenges. But I am not so sure, how I can really improve my verbal score. In addition 40 in mathematics is fine but regarding some mistakes I made, I think i can improve this with a few more training.

Preperation materials:

Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Edition Premier + CD
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 12th Edition (Wiley)
The Prep Software from the Homepage (1st Test: 540, 2nd: 620)
Challenges from this site

Do you have any additional tipps, good materials how i could improve my score? When should I take the test again? I have enough time the next 5-6 weeks.

Thank you very much for your help!
Jay

500-700-in-45-days-average-student-s-guide-to-success-106524.html
1 KUDOS received
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
Amidst clouds of disappointment which maybe shrouding your belief that you can get a 600+, here are the three positive things I can outline about your situation
1) You already have a 530,so getting to a 600-630 aint an unrealistic goal
2) You have 5-6 weeks to entirely devote to the GMAT
3) You already are familiar with the basics of the GMAT

I was in a similar situation as you're in and in retrospection what I realize is that I was not conceptually very strong on the Verbal section (especially for SC) and hadn't practiced enough for CR and RC .
I think if you use the right books and the right strategy, I see no reason you shouldn't improve.
I'd also highly recommend reading some books in the "GMAT Fiction" thread here on gmatclub. Since you have plenty of time ,you may want to keep up reading ,as you work on Verbal and Quant .
Intern
Intern

Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 03:36
Hey anujkundarap,

your plan sounds convincing. Please tell me, where i can get access to the GMAT800 tests that you mentioned in your post?

I start reading some fiction books, shovitdhar! I'll have a look at the list of the GMAT Fiction post!

Thank you very much for your tipps!

I appreciate any further tipps, guys!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
Dude i empathise with your suitation .I am a non native speaker i took the test on 23rd and scored 710 ( v 41 q 47 )
Trust me dude i suck at both quants and verbal but the only way i improved was to work really really hard .
- To be brutally honest with you the study material you have chosen wouldn't help you to improve your quants score , OG-12 is useless whn it comes to quants what you should do is just go through manhattan strategy guides this will definitely help to score around 44-45 in quants .
-Since your verbal is really low i would suggest taking private tutions for that , the reason i say that is on the verbal portion you need to change your strategies for example during my prep i really struggled with RC questions not because i got them wrong but because i used to waste a lot of time reading and reading passages .I used to take ard 12-14 mins to solve 5 questions on an RC though i used to get them all correct but that was useless , during the final leg of my preparation i changed my strategies i used to lay more emphasis on things like- reading and understanding the structure , reducing the fluff this really helped me save a lot of time on the Rc's that i could use on SC and CR's . This thing alone improved my quants score by 7-8 points
- then SC's it's imperative to understand where to use " THAT " ,where to use " AS", how to read a comma etc.
these things are NOT PRESENTED IN THE MANHATTAN BOOK ! and even if they are it is really difficult to grasp from it .( though i am a big fan of the Manhattan sc book and i highly recommend that book for every gmat aspirant)
Bottom line is if you think you are able to understand your weaknesses then go ahead and work on your own but if you are not able to grasp where you are going wrong then stop speading 250$ and take private lessons.
BTW i did not take any private lessons / coaching classes etc..
But i prepared for ard 2.5 months for this exam in a very structured way .
Anyways if you ahve any further doubts feel free to contact me on facebook (search for -Akshat shrivastava, i am the guy wearing a black shirt clicking his own pic ) and i am NOT A PRIVATE TUTOR !:)

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 07:30
Ok, one thing for sure: I have to improve my language skills. Just ordered 2 books for my reading practice and in addition, I have read that people really suggest the SC Manhattan Guide. So, I think about ordering it. I don't think that private lessons are necessary, since I can somehow evaluate where my biggest mistakes are... I know how to work hard... In the next preparation phase, verbal will be the main focus... Nevertheless, I want to increase my Quant section to 45+...

Thanks, guys!
Re: Disappointing score and don't know what to do?   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2010, 07:30