Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disaster score from 400 to 360.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 44

Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 22:24
Background
I’m a marketing grads from Bangladesh. Graduated in 2010 from Top Public University in Bangladesh. My GPA is 3.63. Currently I am working at the largest local FMCG for 2 years.
I decided to write my GMAT in 2010 with only 3 three months intense preparation. But I scored merely 400 (Q27, V18)

on Dec, 2010. That time period I just covered Official Guide 10th , 11th edition, & solved 500q 400v questions from gmatprep with explanations.

GMAT attempt 2- 04 Jan 2014
Decided to retake the GMAT because neither was 400 reflective enough of my capabilities, nor was it good enough. I knew I had to work a lot on my quant & verbal to improve my score. I restarted preparing around about March in 2013.
These are the lists of materials that I used most extensively:
Verbal:
1. Official Guide 12th & 13th
2. Verbal Review for Official Guide 1st & 2nd Edition
3. All Manhattan strategies guides 4th editions
4. Powerscore CR bible & also solved some sets LSAT CR with Kaplan explanations
5. E-Gmat online SC course
6. Manhattan GMAT & Gmatclub online forums extensively
7. Gmatprep: Solved around 1200 SC, CR, and RC questions
Quants:
1. Official Guides 12th & 13th
2. All Manhattan strategies guides
3. Gmatprep: Solved around 800 questions from gmatclub by using timers & grasped explanations given by Bunnel
4. Solved Manhattan and Kaplan maths from forum.
Test Resources:
1. GMAT prep (latest version). Scored range from 630 to 660 in 2 practice tests(took thrice both of them)
2. Manhattan GMAT tests (MGMATs). Scored 540, 550, 560, 550, 580, & 570 in respective six tests.
3. GMAT Club tests(took 1st 15 tests). Average corrected rate is around 60%.
Real test: 360 (Q24, V17)
In Real test, patterns of questions were same what I saw in my practice material & practice questions. When I was answering questions it seemed to me that I am doing well.
I thought I would get 600+ this time. Even I did not imagine of below 400 in this time. I never scored below 500 in any full length practice tests.
I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated!
I covered so many topics, solved so many questions & took 8 full length tests but I earned 40 points below.
What should I do now?
How can I start again?
Please suggest me what I can do now. Will I give up study?

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 05:40
Expert's post
Hi monir6000,

I am sorry to hear about the bad experiences you have had with the GMAT. All the materials you have used are good, however not enough. I would be glad to work with you to discern and improve some of your weakness'. As a veteran Admissions Consultant with a 750 GMAT score, I have 7 years of teaching experience, a Rotman MBA, and a career in Banking. My services are targeted to professionals committed to taking their career to the next level.

I have been trained at, and have worked for two major test prep institutions, and have taught hundreds of satisfied students in Canada, the US, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. I have helped students get into Ivy League and top European MBA programs.

I specialize in:
-GMAT Teaching/Tutoring
-Application Consulting (Determining the right schools for your goals, and developing an application plan)
-Resume Building
-Essay Drafting
-Mock Interviewing

For questions or scheduling, please contact me at gmatbydavid-at-gmail.com, or visit my website at gmatbydavid.com

Looking forward to working with you!
David

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 21:55
Thank you for your suggestions. I have read several experts opinion that most of the students scoring well have studied those listed materials. What other materials do i need to improve? Pls help me someone.

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 17:18
Expert's post
Are you getting these questions right on the first try? and when you read the solutions are you re-trying the same questions over?

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 02:03
I have figured out that in every level my correctness rate at first try is around 60%. When i re-try after some days, correctness rate increases to 80%-90%. If i miss a question, will i read the theory & concepts or read the explanation of the questions? Thanks

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 04:03
First of all if "These are the lists of materials that I used most extensively:" mentioned by you is correct, you have already studied a lot to get 700 score I must say.

Second,
1. GMAT prep (latest version). Scored range from 630 to 660 in 2 practice tests(took thrice both of them)
2. Manhattan GMAT tests (MGMATs). Scored 540, 550, 560, 550, 580, & 570 in respective six tests

Actual tests not only show your knowledge but also show how you perform under pressure.

This might also be the case that you have seen repeated questions in these tests but actual estimate is still 400.

In my opinion
First step: (I am not an expert to guide to for any further steps)
You need a break
Leave everything regarding GMAT preparation for a while and start reading something
Start with genre you like and then shift towards genre you find boring. Do this for a month or two.

Please explain how you actually prepared for the tests
a) Error logs
b) Timer
c) You did questions concept wise or mixed (There is huge difference in accuracy)
d)

and keep calm as you got nothing more to loose(already on 400)
The greatest barrier to score is the fear of examination.
Manager
Manager

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 23:29
Thanks sahildrift. Your suggestions are very helpful. Normally i maintained error logs by using timers from Gmatclub. I mean i rechecked all which i got Incorrect in first try.

Quant: ya i have seen several repeated questions in gmatprep tests. In mgmat tests, i have seen 3 or 4 repeated questions. But before giving tests, i solved several questions from mgmat forum. Around 300 questions.

Verbal: I have not seen any repeated questions in mgmat tests. In mgmat, my score range was 28-30. But actual test i got 17.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 6

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360. [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 10:33
Expert's post
Hi monir6000,

Sorry to hear that. Have you considered some psychological preparation and exercise for the test?

http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

If you are having issues on the real test but do better in practice, then you should pretend practice is the real thing. If you train yourself to psychologically actually believe the practice test is the real thing, then you can practice performing under pressure with increased heart rate, thirstiness, etc.

It is also important to visualize your study environment as the actual exam center. If you take just a few seconds before each question to visualize this setting - then you will be better able to experience the pressures of the exam during practice. That way, when the real thing comes - you will be ready.

Also, have you tried using our online resources: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

As you study OG, you may find our video solutions to OG useful - especially for SC.

As always, we are here to assist.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Disaster score from 400 to 360.   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 10:33