Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disastrous GMAT test experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Disastrous GMAT test experience [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 02:49
Dear all,

I took the GMAT yesterday and got very disappointed. However, I have to say that I woke up on Monday feeling poorly, apparently I got a virus, and I took the exam in very lamentable conditions. But, even feeling poorly, I can not understand why my score was so extremely disastrous.

I prepared the exam with Kaplan premiere (only the maths side), and then went through the OG review. ( total 1 month nearly full Time )The idea was that this two books would be enough to get a decent score 600 -700. I have to recognize that I didnt take any CAT for getting an idea,.I was tight in time and thought that it would be worth investing the time in practicing exercises.

My total score was 450. ( I won't talk about my percentiles and scaled scores, because if somewhere in the universe I still have any dignity, left I would like to keep it as a souvenir from better times...)

So, I know that someone can have a bad day, or even a terrible day, but after wasting one month of my life studying full time (which is a 12% of a year!!!) , getting that score is absolutely humiliating. So after a situation like this one thinks about it : am I choosing the right path? Maybe this is not for me... I still young, I can still plan a U turn in my professional career and expectations... and I am really considering quite a lot of things at the moment. Some people is good for this some are not. But before doing something stupid, I''ve decided to come here and there this with you guys, to see if you can help me a little bit to understand what is going on here. I can't be that stupid, right?

Thanks guys...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 990 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Disastrous GMAT test experience [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Jaws wrote:
Dear all,

I took the GMAT yesterday and got very disappointed. However, I have to say that I woke up on Monday feeling poorly, apparently I got a virus, and I took the exam in very lamentable conditions. But, even feeling poorly, I can not understand why my score was so extremely disastrous.

I prepared the exam with Kaplan premiere (only the maths side), and then went through the OG review. ( total 1 month nearly full Time )The idea was that this two books would be enough to get a decent score 600 -700. I have to recognize that I didnt take any CAT for getting an idea,.I was tight in time and thought that it would be worth investing the time in practicing exercises.

My total score was 450. ( I won't talk about my percentiles and scaled scores, because if somewhere in the universe I still have any dignity, left I would like to keep it as a souvenir from better times...)

So, I know that someone can have a bad day, or even a terrible day, but after wasting one month of my life studying full time (which is a 12% of a year!!!) , getting that score is absolutely humiliating. So after a situation like this one thinks about it : am I choosing the right path? Maybe this is not for me... I still young, I can still plan a U turn in my professional career and expectations... and I am really considering quite a lot of things at the moment. Some people is good for this some are not. But before doing something stupid, I''ve decided to come here and there this with you guys, to see if you can help me a little bit to understand what is going on here. I can't be that stupid, right?

Thanks guys...

Hi Jaws,

With a little methodical study and better health on the test day, you could have easily cored better. There is nothing stupid about it; first, you did not any practice any practice tests , a vital activity for GMAT prep. Even if you did not try any thing else, you must have taken the free GMAT Prep tests before your GMAT. Second, one month time is really less; 3 - 4 months would have been appropriate. No need to loose hope, give it another try, but this time take adequate time, set a target score and practice well. All the best !!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Disastrous GMAT test experience [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Jaws wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks guys...

By doubting your abilities based on your test score, you are being harsh on yourself. There are some people who are better standardized test takers than others. Accept it and move on! Your GMAT score only indicates one thing - your ability to do well on the GMAT. No point finding out co-relations.

Also, people have terrible days. That is normal. This forum is full of such experiences. And then there are people who bounce back - best-gmat-stories-period-98512.html

Also, stop over analysing how much time of your life you 'wasted' in preparing for GMAT - that 12% figure is a useless number if you were trying hard to achieve something. Most of the people (I'd say >85%) spend much more time than just 1 month. I spent 4 months for my first test and another year for my second. I'm sure you learned a lot in the process, and in all probability will continue to do so.

Further, be realistic of what you can achieve. How was your diagnostic score? You can't go into the test scoring 500 week in week out and hoping to get a 700. If you did not even take that, then treat this as your diagnostic. Many people start with 450 and go on to achieve >700.

Finally, your life is not equivalent to an MBA. Don't pursue a path or take a 'U-turn' just for the sake of it or based on a roadblock. Do it if you believe in it. Analyze whether you need an MBA and then prepare for GMAT, not the other way round !

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Disastrous GMAT test experience [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:25
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was a bit too dramatic before, but it's just that I thought I could do better, but you are true, it has been a planning problem and I need resolve it, and focus on my maths.

Could you recommend any specific materials to work on my quant skills? I guess it's all about practicing exercises, but I'm only convinced about the too specific OGs. I don't want too end up with a book full of explanations or crazy exercises...

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 990 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Disastrous GMAT test experience [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Jaws wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was a bit too dramatic before, but it's just that I thought I could do better, but you are true, it has been a planning problem and I need resolve it, and focus on my maths.

Could you recommend any specific materials to work on my quant skills? I guess it's all about practicing exercises, but I'm only convinced about the too specific OGs. I don't want too end up with a book full of explanations or crazy exercises...

Thanks!

Hi Jaws,

Of course you can (and will) do a lot better.

At any time, OG is your best friend, in both quant and verbal. This is the book (+ GMATPrep tests) that you HAVE to do before your GMAT. Apart from OG the best overall study guides are from Manhattan GMAT in both quant and verbal.

To start with you can go through this post to again kick start your prep -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html#p605856

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: Disastrous GMAT test experience   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 09:32