Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disciplinary grade!- background check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Disciplinary grade!- background check [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 05:39
Hi,

In my mba applications i've come across the question about any disciplinary action taken against me.
Specifically the question is this :

"Have you ever been subject to verbal or written disciplinary action (e.g., informal or formal reprimand, suspension, dismissal, etc.)
for scholastic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate or professional schools you have attended?"

When I was in undergrad ( I graduated in 2007), I was caught reaching my hostel after regular hours, for which I was suspended from entering the hostel for one semester and due to which my disciplinary grade was reduced to a B+ on my marksheet.
Is this something that should be mentioned? Should I be showing this on my application?

I'm really not sure.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

Re: Disciplinary grade!- background check [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:21
Expert's post
Hmm, this is a really strange situation. The reason I say that is because clearly your school took their discipline very seriously. Too seriously, if you ask me but that's neither here nor there.

From an ethics standpoint, yes, you should mention it. Especially if your transcript includes a grade that ties to your disciplinary record (which is, again, a little ridiculous).

BUT - honestly, it won't really matter at all. You stayed out too late one night and, in return, the university threw the book at you. With force, it seems. I don't think there is an adcom out there that is going to look at that seriously. Mostly because it's silly.

That question is really there to determine if you were ever caught cheating or suspended for another significant issue. If you didn't have a grade tied to this infraction, I would advise you to not include it. What Housing chooses to do to you isn't generally tied to your Academic record nor does it have anything to do with its integrity. However, because it dropped your grade to a B+ you should mention it.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Disciplinary grade!- background check   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 14:21