Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [9]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31886 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Jahanzeb3313 wrote:
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies.

A) searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies

B) searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking for alternative investment opportunities

C) shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities outside of the manufacturing industry

D) the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its shareholders

E) shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

Hi,
Please post your Q in correct format and properly underlined..

the Q again test on modifier- the beggining clause modifies 'shareholders', so Only C and E are left..
there is no necessity of past perfect 'had', so C is out,..
ans E
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31886 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
alanforde800Maximus wrote:
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies.
• searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading
manufacturing companies
• searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking
for alternative investment opportunities
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities
outside of the manufacturing industry
• the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its
shareholders
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

Stuck with above SC problem, please assist.

Hi,
There are two issues in the Q..
1) modifier issue..... sentence starts with ' discouraged by..'…...... now who is discouraged, ofcourse not searches and neither the companies,it is the SHAREHOLDERS... so only C and E are left..
2) tense issue.......'had begun' requires to have some past event to which it is being connected to, so here simple PRESENT will be correct..

E is correct
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
alanforde800Maximus wrote:

(A) searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies
(B) searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking for alternative investment opportunities
(C) shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities outside of the manufacturing industry
(D) the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its shareholders
(E) shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities stuck with above SC problem, please assist.

IMHO (E) for the highlighted errors above...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
comma subject rule
so,
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, who?
searches
shareholders
the nation’s leading manufacturing companies
so, shareholders
C & E remains
vertical scan
had begunsearching for investment OR are searching for alternative investment
are is a verb correctly for shareholders
hence E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hope you are consistent in your efforts. Conceptual clarity is very important to do well in SC questions. A correct answer choice should rectify the existing error, introduce no new error and should keep the intended meaning of the sentence unchanged. Also, it should be concise. Let us try to understand the following question
The modifying phrase “Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories” intends to modify shareholders. However, this incorrectly modifies searches. Now searches can’t be discouraged. This is an absurd logic. Hence there is an error of misplaced modifier present in the underlined portion.
Choice A can be eliminated as this is the repetition of the underlined portion.
Choice B repeats the error, hence can be eliminated on the same ground. Also, the placement of “who are looking for alternative investment opportunities” after “companies” gives an intended idea that companies are looking for alternatives and the shareholders.
Choice C Though the error of misplaced modifier is corrected, a new error is introduced. The use of past perfect tense is inappropriate. The use of “had begun” suggests that the “shareholders” had begun searching for new investment opportunities before the discouraging data were released. However, this is not the intended idea of the original sentence. The use of past perfect tense is to describe actions before a specific time in the past.
Also, this choice is less precise in nature as “investment opportunities outside of the manufacturing industry” is used as compared to “alternative investment opportunities”.
D. The choice has an error of misplaced modifier. The modifying phrase “Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories” intends to modify shareholders. However, this incorrectly modifies companies.
E. Correct answer. The modifier rightly touches shareholders.
Keep practicing; All the best!!
PythaGURUS Faculty Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
D is also wrong because of "its". should have been searching for "their" shareholders.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
My question here is for non underlined portion, I can not understand use of increases here, I think increase is propert verb for plural subject data. or new data is singular?

Please clarify my doubt here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
Mac3921 wrote:
My question here is for non underlined portion, I can not understand use of increases here, I think increase is propert verb for plural subject data. or new data is singular?

Mac3921
increases in the sentence is not acting as a verb. "Show" is a verb show what - increases in toxic emissions - noun phrase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
shameekv1989 wrote:
Mac3921 wrote:

Mac3921
increases in the sentence is not acting as a verb. "Show" is a verb show what - increases in toxic emissions - noun phrase.

Thanks shameekv1989

If it is a noun phrase then increase in toxic emission is also correct right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
Mac3921 wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
Mac3921 wrote:

Mac3921

Thanks shameekv1989

If it is a noun phrase then increase in toxic emission is also correct right?

Mac3921
Nice question, I may not have an accurate answer to that but this is how I would think :-

increases in [the quantity of] toxic emissions (since toxic emissions is an uncountable noun)

vs

increase in toxic emissions (it would mean toxic emissions are countable and the increase will directly impact the value of toxic emissions - which I don't think is correct)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There is no need to analyze a non-underlined part. However, for academic's sake,

When we accept emissions, we are accepting a plural word, and plural means it is countable. By implication, there are several bouts of emissions and every time the increase may be different. Therefore it is alright to call all of them as 'increases'.

At the same, it is possible that the emission is also singular when we talk of the emission as a general phenomenon, in which case, the increase also may refer to a general phenomenon of increase. In such cases, it might be prudent to mark the increase as ‘an increase’ to make meaning clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

A. searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies

B. searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking for alternative investment opportunities

C. shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities outside of the manufacturing industry

D. the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its shareholders

E. shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

It should answer who is discouraged - so instantly eliminate A, B, D as they're wrong modifiers.
A. searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies

B. searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking for alternative investment opportunities

D. the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its shareholders

Had begun is the wrong tense here - so we can eliminate this.
C. shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities outside of the manufacturing industry

E has right modifier - Shareholders - and right tense. So this is the correct one.
E. shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts