Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [78]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [33]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly mal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

A. paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have

B. paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have

C. that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have

D. that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has

E. paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has

I do not agree with OA.

discrimination .. has
A,B,C -out

D --> that is not appropirate here..

"those"<wages> that are predominantly female
how come wages are female..

I chose E. It's not great but best amonth them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly mal [#permalink]
Kudos
D is wrong because
(DISCRIMINATION IN WAGES) that favors (predominantly male occupations) over those (that are predominantly female) has

1)How can DISCRIMINATION IN WAGES favour an occupation over another..ambiguous meaning
2)THOSE refer to MALE OCCUPATIONS and MALE OCCUPATIONS THAT ARE PREDOMINANTLY FEMALE is incorrect.

Sentence is clearly trying to state that:
Discrimination in wages paid in X over those paid in Y has led to BLAH BLAH BLHA...
E comes closest to expressing this...
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey All,

So a few more questions about the notion of comparison. Perhaps I was a bit hasty to write off comparisons entirely here (though you can answer the question more directly as subject-verb agreement. Let's take a look at the comparisons.

245. Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

(A) paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have
COMPARISON: We would want to compare "predominantly male occupations" to "the predominantly female". The fact that this sentence breaks up that first element into "occupations that are predominantly male" is pretty ugly. We would rather have two nouns, not a noun and a clause.

(B) paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have
COMPARISON: This is a nice comparison "occupations that are predominantly male", "those that are predominantly female".

(C) that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have
COMPARISON: This is okay, too. "predominantly male occupations" "the predominantly female ["occupations" understood]"

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has
COMPARISON: This gives us a noun and a clause again, just like A.

(E) paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has
COMPARISON: Looks good, just like C.

Hope that helps!

-tommy
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

(C) that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have
PROBLEM: Because "that" is a relative pronoun, we know that this phrase modifies "wages". This means "wages" must be the subject of "favors", so it should be "favor".

(D) that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has
PROBLEM: Same as above.

-tommy

Discrimination in wages that...

As per my understanding, that is a relative pronoun that modifies the antecedent noun. However, in a prepositional phrase, such as "Discrimination in wages", it does modify the subject: in this case, "Discrimination".

The same happens with "which", which not always modify the noun before the comma.

Could you clarify this point?

Many thanks.
Your explanations are always tons of light.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Noboru,

You're absolutely right on this front. Though I would argue that there's still a lack of clarity over which one is being modified (an issue that E resolves by removing the relative pronoun entirely), logic DOES tell us it must be discrimination, not wages. Luckily, C still has the verb error at the end of the sentence, so we don't have to make a decision on this alone.

Hope that makes sense. Occasionally relative pronouns DO have to modify something they don't touch (something that ALREADY has a modifier, so it's impossible for both modifiers to touch...in this case, the other modifier is "in wages"), but if you can avoid it, do so. : )

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Noboru,

You're absolutely right on this front. Though I would argue that there's still a lack of clarity over which one is being modified (an issue that E resolves by removing the relative pronoun entirely), logic DOES tell us it must be discrimination, not wages. Luckily, C still has the verb error at the end of the sentence, so we don't have to make a decision on this alone.

Hope that makes sense. Occasionally relative pronouns DO have to modify something they don't touch (something that ALREADY has a modifier, so it's impossible for both modifiers to touch...in this case, the other modifier is "in wages"), but if you can avoid it, do so. : )

-t

Yes, for me it makes sense.

Here is another one. It has already been discussed here: sc-dr-sayre-s-lecture-48411.html but some issues are still there.

For me, "that" modifies episodes, which is plural, so it must be "illustrate". Between C and D, I prefer C, although I would prefer "among" rather than "between".

Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.

(A) relations between nations that illustrates
(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates
(C) relations between nations that illustrate
(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate
(E) relations of nations that illustrates

Later on I will post the OA.
Many thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
245. Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

(A) paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have
(B) paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is E the correct answer,

generally the idiom is X over y.

and here is we are comparing male Occupations to female. Is this not the wrong comparison.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey kevskesav,

In fact, that is the correct comparison. We're comparing occupations that are predominantly male to the predominantly female (occupations). They left out the noun, but that's because it's understood.

As for Noboru's example, yes, your example is grammatically correct, because even though the relative clause isn't directly touching what it modifies, that's because we already have another modifier (and they can't both touch) "of high school graduates" which ITSELF is then modified by "in the United States".

Hope that helps!

-t
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Hi tommy

Thanks for awesome explanation ! In D "those" refers to occupations. But does occupations have gender? Is it grammatically correct to say -
occupations that are predominantly female?

Also in E, I think discrimination is wrt wages. I can interpret E as

discrimination in wages paid in predominantly male occupations over the wages paid in predominantly female occupations has ---> is this correct?

thanks

TommyWallach wrote:
COMPARISON: This gives us a noun and a clause again, just like A.
-tommy
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Nusma,

Well the sentence itself already says "predominantly male occupations", so it must be okay to imply that other occupations are predominantly female. It isn't that the word itself has a gender, it's just like saying "The boys soccer team".

-t
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Lots of conversation around this one, but it doesn't look like anyone's taken it apart piece by piece. Let's do that.

This is a tough question, because it is masquerading as a comparison question. I saw a lot of people mention comparison here, and there absolutely is one. However, none of them really compare the way I (and probably you) would like to see it, "Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over those paid in occupations that are predominantly female..." Then we would get the comparison we want. But none of the answers do it, so comparison must not be the issue here. In reality, it's much simpler: this is a straight-forward subject-verb agreement question.

The two important splits are paid/favors, and have/has at the end.

Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.

PROBLEM: The subject of "have" is "discrimination", which is singular, so we need "has". How do we know it's "discrimination", and not "wages" or "occupations"? Well, if you'd read the MGMAT Sentence Correction guide, you'd know! : ) The subject of a sentence will never be within a prepositional phrase. "in wages paid" is prepositional, as is "in occupations". This means "discrimination" is our subject, which is singular.

PROBLEM: same as above.

PROBLEM: Because "that" is a relative pronoun, we know that this phrase modifies "wages". This means "wages" must be the subject of "favors", so it should be "favor".

That's a rough one. Hope that helps!

-tommy

Hey tommy i am digging up a very old topic.Hope u dont get irritated.
I have a very conceptual question.
MGMAT SC strategy guide suggests that we may eliminate the middlemen (propositional modifiers) to find the subject and verb.
so in the sentence
Discrimination in wages that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.
The that clause in the bolded part should modify discrimination when we eliminate "in wages" as "in wages" is a prepositional modifier.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Munda,

I don't quite understand your question. The "that" clause modifies the big noun "discrimination in wages." It's sort of like saying:

"The Jack in the box that I got for Christmas is broken."

"in the box" is technically modifying "Jack", but really it's just one big noun "The Jack In The Box".

Also, the rule you're referencing is to deal with subject-verb agreement issues, not modifier issues. You get rid of middlemen to locate the subject and verb, not to figure out how the modifiers are working. You wouldn't want to get rid of middlemen to deal with modifiers, because middlemen ARE modifiers.

-t
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Hi Tommy

Supposing that "THAT" refers here correctly to discrimination and there is no problem with clarity > could not be then C+D ruled out because Discrimination is only inanimate abstract term and as itself, discrimination cannot favor anything at all?

noboru wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Noboru,

-t

Yes, for me it makes sense.

Here is another one. It has already been discussed here: sc-dr-sayre-s-lecture-48411.html but some issues are still there.

For me, "that" modifies episodes, which is plural, so it must be "illustrate". Between C and D, I prefer C, although I would prefer "among" rather than "between".

Dr. Sayre’s lecture recounted several little-known episodes in the relations between nations that illustrates what is wrong with alliances and treaties that do not have popular support.

(A) relations between nations that illustrates
(B) relation of one nation with another that illustrates
(C) relations between nations that illustrate
(D) relation of one nation with another and illustrate
(E) relations of nations that illustrates

Later on I will post the OA.
Many thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Matthew,

You're absolutely right. Yes, LOGICALLY, we know that discrimination is the subject of "favor." I'm right to the extent that the use of the relative pronoun is unclear, because relative pronouns generally modify what they touch, which is "wages" here. However, YOU'RE right in that there are exceptions when you have an already modified noun, as we do here ("Discrimination in wages..." the first word is modified by the prepositional phrase "in wages").

Luckily, the verb at the end doesn't match if "discrimination" is the subject in C. And the pronoun usage is wrong in D. Those issues are more ironclad.

-tommy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos