The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 08:06
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 0

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 08:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:32) correct 64% (01:27) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues that paying a 10$ bounty for each dead snakes turned in by a villager will result in riddling the village of snakes

Which of the following does NOT weaken the mayor's argument?
A) the bounty ensures that breeding the snakes is in the economic interest of the villagers
B) village taxes will triple if the mayor's proposal is implemented
C) the villagers do not trust the mayor
D) the snakes control the rat population, so the villagers will not kill the snakes
E) a drug company pays villagers 15$ for each live snake delivered to it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Posts: 185
Location: illinois
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 08:29
I would go with E..........The mayor's intention is to get rid of snakes..and if the drug company is willing to the job for him...then why not...I hope I am correct.....
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2003
Posts: 652
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 09:41
Another good one, which test the fundamentals!

My choice is C.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Posts: 1793
Location: NewJersey USA
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:15
E does not weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 155
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 12:33
E actually strengthens the arguement. Either b/c of the mayors proposal, or the Pharma's bounty, the village will get rid of snakes. Hmmm, here I go again, actually, if the bounty is $15, it gives the incentive to keep snakes. :stupid

What do TAXES have to do with anything? NOTHING!

B
_________________

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Posts: 185
Location: illinois
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 13:19
The company gives 15$ to give away the snakes, not for keeping it. So they will get rid of the snakes.

Regarding the taxes, if the taxes increase then the mayor MAY NOT prpose to give 10$ to get rid of snakes, Just my 2 cents
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 155
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 14:01
monarc wrote:
The company gives 15$ to give away the snakes, not for keeping it. So they will get rid of the snakes.

Regarding the taxes, if the taxes increase then the mayor MAY NOT prpose to give 10$ to get rid of snakes, Just my 2 cents


Monarc, see choice A. I dint mean that they would keep the snakes, I ment that it might give an incentive to keep constant supply of snakes @$15. Maybe I am a bit braindead today. :beat
_________________

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:11
OA is C. Nice one Kpadma.
E is wrong but we cannot relate it to A because each choices should be seen as independent clauses.
E can be negated in the sense that if a company already has a system whereby they pay 15$ to villagers to bring them back snake but yet, the city is still overrun by snakes as the opening sentence implies, then what is the use of paying less to get rid of snakes?
B can also be negated. If village taxes are to triple, then will villagers accept the given plan? Will that not weaken the argument in the sense that the plan is then futile? :stupid
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 155
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:29
Paul wrote:
OA is C. Nice one Kpadma.
E is wrong but we cannot relate it to A because each choices should be seen as independent clauses.
E can be negated in the sense that if a company already has a system whereby they pay 15$ to villagers to bring them back snake but yet, the city is still overrun by snakes as the opening sentence implies, then what is the use of paying less to get rid of snakes?
B can also be negated. If village taxes are to triple, then will villagers accept the given plan? Will that not weaken the argument in the sense that the plan is then futile? :stupid


Ok, I think its time for my brain to enter a retirement home: :beatup

But before I do that, IMO, or am I missing something here. C weakens the argument the MOST. If the villagers DO NOT trust the mayor, they won't t collect snakes, and the village will not be rid of snakes. DOESNT that weaken his argument that his $10 bounty will result in city with fewer snakes??? His argument is invalid, b/c it won't work, thus weakens.. Please explain why I am wrong!
_________________

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 19:55
I agree with you lvb9th that if the villagers do not trust the mayor, then it would be pointless to propose the plan. However(yes, of course), in light of all the other answers which clearly weaken the argument, then C stands as the best answer. We can look at it this way: whether or not the villagers trust the mayor, we are interested in evaluating the mayor's proposal, not the mayor himself, which would be besides the point. Moreover, a personal attack on the mayor rather than an attack to the "proposal" itself would invalidate C and make it the "best" answer.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 155
Location: New York
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2004, 20:01
Paul wrote:
I agree with you lvb9th that if the villagers do not trust the mayor, then it would be pointless to propose the plan. However(yes, of course), in light of all the other answers which clearly weaken the argument, then C stands as the best answer. We can look at it this way: whether or not the villagers trust the mayor, we are interested in evaluating the mayor's proposal, not the mayor himself, which would be besides the point. Moreover, a personal attack on the mayor rather than an attack to the "proposal" itself would invalidate C and make it the "best" answer.


Hmm, thanks Paul. Maybe Kpadma can chip in. His statement of the FUNDUMENTALS really concerns me. If in fact these are the fundumentals, and the questions is fairly easy, I am SCREWED!
_________________

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 20

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:03
Discussed at this thread:
cr-poisonous-snakes-5350.html

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues that paying a 10$ bounty for each dead snakes turned in by a villager will result in riddling the village of snakes

Which of the following does NOT weaken the mayor's argument?
A) the bounty ensures that breeding the snakes is in the economic interest of the villagers
B) village taxes will triple if the mayor's proposal is implemented
C) the villagers do not trust the mayor
D) the snakes control the rat population, so the villagers will not kill the snakes
E) a drug company pays villagers 15$ for each live snake delivered to it

Can someone explain this better? Kinda lost :oops:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 153
Location: I N D I A
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 16

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 17:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Discussed at this thread:
cr-poisonous-snakes-5350.html

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. The mayor argues that paying a 10$ bounty for each dead snakes turned in by a villager will result in riddling the village of snakes

Which of the following does NOT weaken the mayor's argument?
A) the bounty ensures that breeding the snakes is in the economic interest of the villagers
B) village taxes will triple if the mayor's proposal is implemented
C) the villagers do not trust the mayor : No effect on the conclusion so does not Weaken
D) the snakes control the rat population, so the villagers will not kill the snakes
E) a drug company pays villagers 15$ for each live snake delivered to it

Can someone explain this better? Kinda lost :oops:


All 4 choices except C , weaken the argument because of highlighted text. C is neither talking of any economic criteria nor talking of dead snakes.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 224
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 11

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 18:56
C it is.

C is just a fact that we don't know the definite consequence that might come after ward. We don't know whether because they don't trust the major, they won't catch the snake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 20

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 20:17
gautrang wrote:
C it is.

C is just a fact that we don't know the definite consequence that might come after ward. We don't know whether because they don't trust the major, they won't catch the snake.


But shouldn't this weaken the argument gautrang. The villagers dont trust the mayor --> they wont catch the snakes --> the mayor plan fails

How does B weaken the arg?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:09
IMO B...
In C, if they did not believe on Mayor, the plan will itself be not implemented, and hence weakens the argument !!
While in B, tax is tripled , it also means that their income has also increased Right !!!
So this point does'nt weakens the argument...
_________________

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 224
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 11

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:07
rohitgoel15 wrote:

But shouldn't this weaken the argument gautrang. The villagers dont trust the mayor --> they wont catch the snakes --> the mayor plan fails

How does B weaken the arg?


The villagers dont trust the mayor --> they wont catch the snakes --> the mayor plan fails

These two arrows indicate your own two assumptions. It's too far from the argument, there is no indication just because you don't believe in your major doesn't mean that the $10 paying won't be paid. There are many who don't trust Obama but that doesn't mean that his policy will not come true.

We don't even know from the argument whether the $10 payment is the major's idea or if the major has any power in deciding whether to pay or not.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 224
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 11

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:11
praveenism wrote:
IMO B...
In C, if they did not believe on Mayor, the plan will itself be not implemented, and hence weakens the argument !!
While in B, tax is tripled , it also means that their income has also increased Right !!!
So this point does'nt weakens the argument...


Tax is tripled doesn't mean their income increased!

B - You get $10 for each snake, but then you have to pay 3 times the tax. I wouldn't want that. It gives the reason that affects the economic of the villager directly. Hence, incorrect.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:27
Thanks gautrang,
I got your point. I am assuming too much in that part !!!
_________________

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 302
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 07:12
What is the sourse of the question?
Re: The village is overrun by poisonous snakes.   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 07:12

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 The percentage of cases of chemical poisoning in which workers in the Harley1980 1 23 Sep 2015, 05:31
2 One of the effects of lead poisoning is an inflammation of the optic Gmat1008 5 22 Nov 2014, 05:39
35 In recent years, a village outside Osaka skrishnakarthik 17 20 Oct 2013, 00:24
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The popular belief that a snake's age can be determined by Vercules 3 19 Feb 2013, 12:21
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic 12) One of the effects of lead poisoning is an inflammation GMATD11 4 28 Jan 2012, 09:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The village is overrun by poisonous snakes.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.