Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Where do you feel app volumes will go this year

• 45% [29]
  • 29% [19]
  • 25% [16]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:26
GoBruins wrote:

That graph indicates the trend was going down by 2009.

Interestingly, applications for B-School decreased in 2002 and 2003, after the bursting of the dot com bubble. It remains to be seen if our recession will follow the same trend but I'm guessing people will find it harder to pay for B-school during a recession (as well as getting a loan in today's credit restrictive market).

There was a surge in 2008 because of the layoffs in the finance industry in R1. Makes sense because alot of people still had $$$ at the onset of the recession and many of them were from the finance industry trying to upgrade to an MBA. However, R2 and R3 applicants were down last year so I'd be interested to know if those trends continue to this year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 19

Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
gmattester123 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:

That graph indicates the trend was going down by 2009.

Interestingly, applications for B-School decreased in 2002 and 2003, after the bursting of the dot com bubble. It remains to be seen if our recession will follow the same trend but I'm guessing people will find it harder to pay for B-school during a recession (as well as getting a loan in today's credit restrictive market).

There was a surge in 2008 because of the layoffs in the finance industry in R1. Makes sense because alot of people still had $$$ at the onset of the recession and many of them were from the finance industry trying to upgrade to an MBA. However, R2 and R3 applicants were down last year so I'd be interested to know if those trends continue to this year.

I wouldn't necessarily confuse application volume to all business schools with application volume to top business schools. For instance, we know MIT had a huge surge in applications this year over last year, and last year over the year before. (Unless they're lying.) Perhaps people are being more wise about how they spend their money in a recession and there is a flight to quality?
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 14:42
Also just an idle thought but could app volume in 02/03 have also been pushed downward by a surge in military enlistment during those years?
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:34
People apply to different programs in recessions-after being laid off at my dot com in late 2001, I went to law school.

I haven't tracked it, but I'm guessing the application volume for graduate programs overall increases during the initial stage of recessions and then tapers off-I'm not sure that application volume for all business schools would necessarily go up just because of an economic recession. My guess is that it might be up for certain schools and programs. Recent graduates who would have made an attempt at the workforce either take the K-JD/MD/Ph.d track, or people who have been personally impacted by the recession go back for an MBA etc. etc.

I actually thought about the MBA back in the last recession, but the reason I chose to go to law school at that time was that I was really young and didn't think 2 years of WE qualified me for a decent MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 00:48
shana22 wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily confuse application volume to all business schools with application volume to top business schools. For instance, we know MIT had a huge surge in applications this year over last year, and last year over the year before. (Unless they're lying.) Perhaps people are being more wise about how they spend their money in a recession and there is a flight to quality?

That graph is for business schools in general, not for the top business schools.

BTW, I wouldn't cherry pick MIT as one example. Even if overall applications go down, there will be select business schools that see their own applications go up.

I'm more interested in the general case. And after the dot com bust in the early 2000s, the MBA apps went down.
Re: Discussion: App Volume? Up or down this year?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2010, 00:48