Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Disgusting 550(45,20)>>.600(44q, 28v)..disappointment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Disgusting 550(45,20)>>.600(44q, 28v)..disappointment [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 02:58
jus completed my gmat but really disappointed wid score.. was hoping to cross atleast 650..but damn!! really shocked with this score...but m done wid gmat now..wont give another try..if u want i hav loads of gmat material ...around 450 mb..lots of e books and practice tests..tell me if u want..really dis forum helped me a lot..thx to all of you guys..good luck wid ur gmat..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(sorry for some punctuations n capital letter cuz i m no mood)jus came from test centre completely no mood for doing anythn bt jus wanted to share my experience cuz i hav read many of d debriefs n wanted to write1 no matter wot i get. i hav been prep for gmat from past 3 months. studyin 4-5 hrs daily

Study material-
Barrons, Nova's, Princeton, Gmat800, Arcos- master the gmat, OG10, OG11, Manhattan SC2003, Sc1000, cr1000(only gmat and some random LSAT) Manhattan guide to rc n cr, DS1000, Ps around 10-12 sections, Sets 1-30(did around 15 randomly) n referred to almost all notes available for various sections(spidey's, clintons, gaurav's etc), score800 -5 tests

Practice test scores-
Princeton1-590
Princeton2-600
Princeton3-640

Cambridge-650

Gmat prep1(2 months ago)- 630(46,31)

Kaplan1-510(4 weeks ago)
Kaplan2-530Kaplan3-500
Kaplan4-560939,28)

MGMAT1-590(2 weeks before)
MGMAT2-590(2 weeks before)
MGMAT3-610(1 week before)(47,28)
MGMAT4-620(1 week before)(44,32)
MGMAT5-640(4 days before)(46,32)
MGMAT6-710(3 days before)(48,39)

Gmat prep1(1 week before)-630(46,31)
Gmat prep2(3 days before, but was stressed out)-590(49,23)
Gmat prep2(2 days before)-700(49,35)

i managed to improve my mistakes drastically in last 2 weeks. In verbal major concern was rc n cr. i stressed very hard upon cr. before the test i was expecting atleast 650 and atleast 30 in verbal.

when i entered the centre i was kinda nervous. bt still was feelin confident. but when i started wid AWA my mind was completely blank and was really worried cuz i cant think of anythn. got analysis of arguement first. though managed to write somehow bt later realized that i missed out certain points. i found analysis of issue a bit weird.i got- Each generation’s cultural achievements—such as those in music, art, or literature—represent improvements on the cultural achievements of previous generations.

after completing my awa i knew i screwed up, bt was positive abt quants and verbal. started wid quants- first question got DI bt again got nervous and mind got blank n was not able to concentrate on d sum. wasted 5-6mins..n clicked randomly. got lots of ps in first 20. stuck on 2-3 but were manageable and got answers. found some ds little tough than normally expected. after completin quants came out and hoping to score atleast 48.

started wid verbal later. got SC first nad on 7th ques got RC. i thot i mus b doing well(cuz i had a notion dat d better u perform d earlier u get rc) rc was on some novel- charlotte bronte novel, i dun remember exactly- was ok i thot i did well on dat, got few cr n scs. again got rc on 14th ques(was kinda happy n thot m doin well) found 2-3 sc very tricky. cr wer ok cud easily narrow down to last 2. was really worried abt rc cuz my hit rate in rc is pathetic. i was hoping for boldface cr bt sadly dint appear anywer. i pretty messed up wid time 2. got 1 really long RC wid 4 big paras. probably 90-100 lines. i was left wid 15 mins and 10 ques to go. 1 rc took nearly 8-9 mins cuz i was carefully reading. last 2-3 question i had to guess. on 38th ques my heart was beatin very loudly nad was really nervous.

jus mins after i clicked next score appeared- 550. i was completely shattered. i think this is d lowest score i hav seen on my gmat test. i was jus thinkin dat i hav completely wasted 3 months. cuz i jus concentrated on gmat for 3 months leavin everythn else aside. was plannin to apply for the first round to colleges in november. so accordingly i registered appointment for toefl on 29th sep.

looks like i still need to work hard..next time hoping to break 700 barrier. though i hav bben active member in this forum from last week, this forum has really helped me a lot. first i never use to participate in any discussion bt now i m actively involved and will remain the same until i achieve my target.

Last edited by 12345678 on 11 Oct 2007, 06:54, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Disgusting 550(45,20) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 05:23
Cheer up! You'll probably do better next time if you can work on your problems with verbal.

12345678 wrote:
( i thot i mus b doing well(cuz i had a notion dat d better u perform d earlier u get rc) rc was on some novel- charlotte bronte novel, i dun remember exactly- was ok i thot i did well on dat, got few cr n scs.

I suspect the reason you had this notion was because your RC is probably a weak area for you and you considered it to be a 'difficult' question, when, in fact, there are different levels of difficulty with RC.

What you need to do is work on the areas that you're weak in. Use the techniques outlined in PR or any other prep book, and build some confidence in your verbal abilities. This will help in the actual test.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 05:35
Quote:
I suspect the reason you had this notion was because your RC is probably a weak area for you and you considered it to be a 'difficult' question, when, in fact, there are different levels of difficulty with RC.

I could not agree more with this! I happen to be pretty good at RC, and so even some of the more difficult ones seem easy to me. However, when it comes to the quant. section, I know that there are problems that completely stump me that would make other people go "duh!"

I wish that I could remember who first posted this suggestion so that I could attribute it to them, but I thought that it was a great one. They suggested that if someone is having RC problems, that it might be a good idea to regularly just read newspapers or magazines that use a somewhat higher level of English. The Wall Street Journal would be a good one. This way, you just get used to reading and understanding at a higher level.

Another suggestion that I've seen in several of the GMAT study guides is to write down (in your own words) the thesis of the passage as well as the main idea from each paragraph and the conclusion. This way you have already turned it into your own words that you understand as well as creating bullet points to turn to when answering questions rather than having to dig through the whole passage for each question.

Hope this helps and good luck! And by the way, I would have killed for your quant. score!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 08:03
ishcabibble wrote:
I wish that I could remember who first posted this suggestion so that I could attribute it to them, but I thought that it was a great one. They suggested that if someone is having RC problems, that it might be a good idea to regularly just read newspapers or magazines that use a somewhat higher level of English. The Wall Street Journal would be a good one. This way, you just get used to reading and understanding at a higher level.

Another suggestion that I've seen in several of the GMAT study guides is to write down (in your own words) the thesis of the passage as well as the main idea from each paragraph and the conclusion. This way you have already turned it into your own words that you understand as well as creating bullet points to turn to when answering questions rather than having to dig through the whole passage for each question.

Hope this helps and good luck! And by the way, I would have killed for your quant. score!

dont u think jottin down points will b time consuming? and sometimes dey ask ques abt specific detail n if i keep on jottin down each and every detail den i think for 20 mins i'll jus b doin 1 RC..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 12:20
Quote:
dont u think jottin down points will b time consuming? and sometimes dey ask ques abt specific detail n if i keep on jottin down each and every detail den i think for 20 mins i'll jus b doin 1 RC..

This is moreso for when you are studying at home. It might help you to be able to pick out key ideas more easily.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 09:24
|/quote]

dont u think jottin down points will b time consuming? and sometimes dey ask ques abt specific detail n if i keep on jottin down each and every detail den i think for 20 mins i'll jus b doin 1 RC..[/quote]

Nah You have to get good at jotting done the notes. I use it, it does take a lil longer than just reading the psg. But most of the time I don't even have to look back at the RC.

I suggest just quickly write down the topic sentences in shorter form. Don't worry about the details, if the passage starts to explain an example or process, just write in ur notes that it "xplains example how X works."

If u get a specific question, ul know where to go back and look. Even if I get 1 RC i don't know the answer to, I always get them down to 2 answers no matter the difficulty of the RC.

The diagramming method takes a lot of practice though. It may even take a few weeks to get skilled enough to do diagramming on the real test.

Turnout for me is awsome, I love when I get RC's, its like a gimme for me.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 06:54
update..
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 15:41
Since I have nothing nice to say, I will not say anything.
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2007, 15:41