Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dismal gmat performance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dismal gmat performance [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 18:26
Hey,am new to the forum ...
I took my gmat a couple of days ago and it was a disaster, to say the least..
i got 580 (40 Q, 29 V) ...wasnt a big blow though.I am not sure if i put in as much effort as to deserve 760+ .. nevertheless it was an useful experience and a reality bite.awa was the only part which i felt good about though am yet to get the scores to ascertain this.
The critical reasoning questions were a bit of a surprise ... most of them had 2 bold faced sentences and i had to relate both... there is just one such question in OG ...i dont think i got em right ... the choices were skewed to the extent possible ..this coupled with the clock ticking away made it worse... data sufficiency questions as usual let me down ( i guess ) ... i must have gone for C in place of A or B.
Well the thing is i dont know wht went wrong even now..especially in the quant section ... Personally i can vouch that OG is one big useless book.

Anyways i would like to know if gmat is really getting tougher day by day or is it just me who blew it ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

hey [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2005, 07:14
Hey maverick, you can be my wingman. Sorry, I had to say. All seriousness, keep your head up and retake it. I have taken the test 3 times already and I have not fared well compared to how I should. I will be retaking it in a month. See my post for info. I have consistently score over 700 in all my practice tests (save the Kaplan tests), but can't seem to get over 640 on the real thing. I would say that the real test is getting a little tougher over the years, and for good reason. If you read some posts from a few years ago on this forum you will see that the content was a bit different, and by different I mean possibly easier. Although I don't think that it is much harder now. My problem, and maybe it is for you, is that I get really nervous for tests like this. Maybe minset is your flaw (like mine). I am currently working on improving my mental state (taking yoga, breathing exercises,etc) so as to go into the test with a positive state of mind, not getting rattled by guessing or time constraints. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you have the fundamentals down, have done well on practice tests, and are overall very confident in your abilities, then maybe you should try to fix your mindset and definitely retake it. You will do better. However, if you are scoring in the high 500s or low 600s on practice tests, then work on the knowledge and fundamentals, get involved in the challenges on this forum, use an error log etc. I hope this helps.

Christopher Wilson

hey   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2005, 07:14