Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dismal GMAT score July 31

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Dismal GMAT score July 31 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 11:45
Hi people,

I took my GMAT today and got a dismal 620!
Following is the break up.. Q48 (86%ile) V28(51%ile)

Quant, I thought was going horrible. My weak point in quant was DS - inequalities and it was like the test had known that. Got 5-6 inequalities DS+PS. Quant was definitely an inch above OG 11 and second the opinion that the questions were similar to GMATPrep.

I dont know what happened in Verbal. I thought my Verbal was going well as compared to Quant. All along, my weak point has been critical reasoning. My strongest was SC, but on the test the distinction between the options was minimal and most of them idiomatic. So, I cannot comment on it. I've gone through most of the CR stuff on the forum and could solve it, but in a timed test I get most of them wrong. I can get to the point where I have 2 options but cannot get past that. May be I think too much on the two options and the time left and finally botch it up. However, I could complete the Verbal with just 30 secs left, but had to pay a heavy price for it. I guess I would have been better off spending time on the CR questions and guessing whatever remained at the end.

I need some advice on improving the verbal score. I have gone through KAPLAN and OG. I found this forum quite late in my prep but I believe that it can still help me redress by problems as I prepare for a retake in early September.

Also, please tell me whether retaking the GMAT will affect my chances of admit adversely. I mean, does the number of times you take the GMAT affect your chances?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 00:02
This is almost my story... The same day... The same problems...
Unfortunately my score is a bit lower...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 1516 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 12:37
I am vacationing in Honduras at the moment, so I'll keep this short because the beach is more interesting than the GMAT.

In short,

(1) A 620 is not a dismal score. At all. It's not a 700+, true, but a 620 is pretty darn respectable. I know how you feel, but congratulate yourself first --- you did do pretty well.
(2) You can retake GMAT without fear or repercussion. I cant remember which school it was - maybe harvard, but I saw it written down somewhere that they do not recommend taking more than 3 times. Most people I know take it twice, some three times. I know of a few who have done four.
(3) There are great ways to bump your verbal. I will write more when I return (August 5th)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 21:58
I think it is Wharton who advise that they would start looking into all scores if people take it more than twice.

Thanks,
Zooroopa

[#permalink] 04 Aug 2006, 21:58